User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: racebitz's DIY FMIC & Air Intake Thread

Looks good, will you be selling these in the near future? Estimate on price?

I was going to be looking into it, the inlets that is. I did want to make 2 up today, one for my car, and another to use as a template for a jig. If we do make them up and sell them would be looking about $170-$180, just depends on how this one works out, and what my mate wants for jigging & welding them up for me. It also depends on what interest there is from people as always.

I think your looking at about $200Aus for other inlets from oversea's, then add on taxes, freight and the time it takes to get here after customs take there sweet time with it.

So if there is interest i will try and work something out and get some more accurate cost figures for everyone. At the moment i just wanna drive the thing and see what it does. Cant wait to hit the track again, maybe Wed night??

Great, if you are looking to start selling them, please let me know! Will it bolt straight up to the CPE XcelNANO SRI Intake OK? Any plans for Ceramic / HPC coating to help with heatsoak?

Cheers

Karl

We made it so the piping ends where the OEM one did, so i see no issues fitting other brand inlets to it, depending on the other FMIC kit piping you have a fair bit of room to play around with anyway, i have more room than i expected, didnt need to use a smaller filter in the end, could have used the cheaper more common pod filter size that is on the shelf at most auto joints.

I can get them coated as well, will just have to check what my guy will charge. The difference would be minimal tho, just like the cooler piping. Originally i was going to coat all my stuff, but when looking into it further and talking with a few different people i found that the air is passing through the piping at such a speed that it gets very little time to heat up with just comming into contact with a hot spot in the piping. Im not saying it would not drop the inlet temps by say 1-3deg but is it really worth it, especially $$ wise as coatings are not that cheap.

2XS - The cooler piping is all 2.25", i had to flare up the piping that enters the TB as i could only get a 2.75 to 2.5" reducer silicon section.Wanted to keep it small as the piping is pretty long for the setup in total.

The turbo inlet is 2.5", its tight as hell!! Also i have not mentioned i am now using a CNC'd 1pc billet MAF housing which after making up the welded version is a lot easier to produce and looks a lot better.

All will be revieled with more pics tomorow, and maybe even a vid or 2.

Jason

looks good.. cant wait to see installed pics and also see the results and power it produces over stock !!

nice work

Ok, she is all back together properly and running now. ran out this morning and brought all new none perforated hose clamps for it as im not a fan of Tbolts on alloy piping as it squashes it out of shape.

Here are a few new pics of how it all looks installed and completed.

Plazmaman P1 Recirc BOV

Turbo Inlet fitted up

I will test it all out over the next few weeks to make sure everything is ok, no leaks or anything, then will pull it off and paint it all up.Will look a lot nicer once its all painted black, i want to paint the valve cover too but not sure what colour yet...

Will keep updated as how things go.

Jason

Blog Entries

looking unreal so far!!

Looks good mate, some quality work right there... How did it go last night?

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    Looks good mate, some quality work right there... How did it go last night?
    Ok, ended up just me and my mate in the evo. Was still a good drive.By the end of the night the car had started to respond to the new mods (from what i could tell anyway...) gave it a few good hits and it def pulls harder throughout the rev range. Car is a lot smoother and it seems a lot less effort is needed to get the car going well.

Got a few comments from other motorists after hitting it a few times, all good so it was ok. Had a nice 2nd gear wheel spin moment between the evo and some commodore full of young hoons. wasnt trying anything it just started to get loose and move round a bit and shocked them lol I need new tyres

Anyone wanna go for a run Sat night somewhere??

Quote Originally Posted by racebitz View Post
    Ok, ended up just me and my mate in the evo. Was still a good drive.By the end of the night the car had started to respond to the new mods (from what i could tell anyway...) gave it a few good hits and it def pulls harder throughout the rev range. Car is a lot smoother and it seems a lot less effort is needed to get the car going well.

Got a few comments from other motorists after hitting it a few times, all good so it was ok. Had a nice 2nd gear wheel spin moment between the evo and some commodore full of young hoons. wasnt trying anything it just started to get loose and move round a bit and shocked them lol I need new tyres

Anyone wanna go for a run Sat night somewhere??
    Sounds like its going well.. FMIC has gotta help in start/stop traffic too..

I'm going to a dyno day at Hi-Comp on Saturday afternoon actually, be interesting to see how mine goes.. I will post up the results..

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    Sounds like its going well.. FMIC has gotta help in start/stop traffic too..

I'm going to a dyno day at Hi-Comp on Saturday afternoon actually, be interesting to see how mine goes.. I will post up the results..
    Good stuff, and after that you can tag along with us on this....
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/club-...l-welcome.html

Make sure your there!

I'll see if i can swing by... Dyno 'day' starts @ 5pm, goes to ~9pm or so.. Going to be a good mix of cars (mainly Pulsar's, but also some Ricelines, a supra, commodores and some V-TAC action lol)

Ps. You reckon i should throw my old mans GU Patrol on the rollers, 3 litres of raw turbo-diesel powahhh

Anyway, back OT...

Hey Jason,

Did you have to do much cutting of the front bumper or surrounds for the piping?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Hey Jason,

Did you have to do much cutting of the front bumper or surrounds for the piping?
    I'd also like to know this.. Also, what about the stock power steer cooler? Did you have to relocate it?

No cutting of anything at all, and i played around with the brackets on the PS cooler, was able to move it a bit further back to give clearance.

Clearance around the outlet pipes, silicon 90's in my case, is close around the rear of the driving lights tho.

hey man hows all this going ??

still any chance of selling on to all us here at oz mps ?

how much did it all end up costing ?

Hey guys, sorry have not been on here for ages, had sooo much work on its not funny.

All up it cost me approx $900 with the turbo inlet included.

To be honest, i dont have the time at the moment to be making up kits, the piping isnt real easy to replicate so its not as simple as i would have liked it to be. But please dont think that the name brand setups are your only option, dont be afraid to get your hands dirty, lol

I will however say, if you want to try some DIY why not just do what i did and do it over time. Buy a core, mount it up on the weekend, cover the inlet/outlet up, then next weekend, have a play with the hot side piping. Buy some alloy bends, some grinding discs and some silicon bends/straights and play around with it. It took me a few go's to get it how i wanted but once thats sorted, mark the sections and number them, then take it to a alloy welder and get it tacked up, test fit, if all good then weld up.

It is a bitch of a car to do piping for, and after doin this i will not hessitate to take on any other projects in the future, in fact one of the reasons i have not been on here for ages is i have another project to play with, what would happen if you crossed a VL Turbo, with a KE30 Corolla????

I will have to put up some pics of it soon, its goin to be something special!

Jason

hey raceblitz any updates???

Quote Originally Posted by aussiguy87 View Post
    hey raceblitz any updates???
    What sort of updates are you after?

The largest core size you could possibly go is 600mm wide x 210mm high and 76mm thick, although, you would most likely only require 65mm thick.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

has he been back to the drags with the cooler on?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast