User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: racebitz's DIY FMIC & Air Intake Thread

hows the progress going ?? long time to update ??

Well, after a looong issue with getting the air filter i wanted, and being stuffed around yet again by Rocket, i finally sourced one from another supplier and it arrived yesterday. So now we are making up another maf housing using the smaller ID tube and will have the inlet done pretty much, then i can keep going with the cooler piping.

I am going to go and see the motorbike spares place next week and try and get a small oil cooler to replace the stock piping for the PWR steering as its in the way, then it should only take me a day to do the cold side piping.

Will have some more updates soon guys.

Jason

Ok, had the day off today so pulled my finger out, took the car down to the workshop and we got cracking on the MAF housing. Prototype #2 looks like a success! YEW!

The new housing has the same ID as the OEM housing (2.62") so all fuel trims and AF ratio look to be almost factory (will be doing some logs to compare soon), no check eng lights have popped up, car idles as stock but booy does she love the extra air flow!!! Stunned a few people when i took it for a test run up the road and she broke loose in 2nd out of the drive way

Below are a few pics of the housing, i will throw up some on car shots and more details tonight. Now have to make up a nice braket for it, and start working on the air box/shield, aswell as finnish the cooler. After getting a taste of extra power i think i will have some more updates flowing a bit quicker this time. Anyway, i know you all like pics.....

Blog Entries

yeah thats one sexy MAF sensor holder haha

Another quick update, cold side piping is pretty much ready to be welded up, then got to pick up the new BOV and work out where to mount it. And since i had not mentioned it before, the car now has a 3" exhaust, with 2nd cat removed and 1 straight through muffler. Didnt really want to di it this early but my mate doesnt like owing people money so we threw it together. Gives it a nice sound but thats prob bout it.

Looking to run the car at WSID as soon as the weather clears up on a Wednesday to see what difference the intake makes to my ET & Trap speed. Hoping for somthing close to a 13.7@103mph or there abouts to better my stock 14.1@101mph Will have to see what happens, will keep you all posted.

Jason

Blog Entries

can't wait to see the intake setup

I did take some pics of it the other day but accidently erased them off the camera before saving to the comp... Will take some new ones and post up during the week.

I thought i would post up a few quick pics of another part of the intake im making up for the car. I am making up an air box to cover up and seal the pod filter to keep it all good with the man, and when i run ducting from the front of the car to the box it should help lower intake temps and help me get the most from the inlet. Here are some picks in the early stages of making up a template tonight.

As with all the cooler piping the box will be coated by Stu at Pro Coat in Extreme Heat Satin Black so it all ties in together and looks stock-ish while keeping everything as cool as possible. This is only a quick mock up of the template, there are some changes to be made a bit later on.

Jason

Blog Entries

Good work mate can't wait to see how it all performs

where would u be running the ducting from ?? and to e.t.c. ??

i wouldn't mind building a box for mine...and what will u make box out of ?

Air box will be made from alloy sheeting bent up to suit. Going to run some induction hose of sorts and run it from the front grille area on the pass side, inlet will be mounted above the cooler piping and run up to behind the headlight area. In theory this is what i will be doing anyway, it may change a bit when its actually made up lol.

Might do a bit more during the week as the missus is away so i wont get in trouble for spending time in the garage...

save the paper model haha... you could sell that.. hint hint !! blueprint as such..

would need to mod it a bit for myset up as intake comes down on an angle...

Had some spare time and it stopped raining this arvo so decided to do a few log runs on the DH. All runs are done in 4th gear on my private test track of course

Here is a log with the stock setup i did a while back

And here is todays log with the new inlet, MAF housing and K&N pod filter (Unboxed)

Differences, well the boost levels are up approx 2-2.5psi accross the majority of the usable rev range, ARF's are very similar too with the comp dumping in extra fuel up top in what i see as a way to keep the engine safe from harm.

So im happy that the new MAF housing works well and just have to see what a difference it makes on the track hopefully on Wed. It's performed well on my ASS dyno anyway! Will keep you updated, would be good if someone could vid the runs for me??

Ok, made the treck to WSID again tonight, had my eyes set on a 13.7 but left with a new PB of 13.832, almost got there, results are below

1st run

60' 2.229
    ET 13.871
    MPH 101.97

2nd - missed 3rd gear, dont even bother

3rd

60' 2.201
    ET 13.832
    MPH 101.05

4th - Missed 2nd gear, left out half track gates

5th - bogged off line, rest of run was good, 14.2 result wasnt.

Car is def a lot harder to get out of the hole now, if i do not short change
    1st it spins all through 2nd, if i do its harder get the 60' i need.

Had a major issue with heat soak, ambient temps were around 26-7deg, track temp was scorching at 40deg, as it looked like it was to rain there were not many cars there, so only had about 10-15 mins between runs, so not much time to cool down either. But hey, front mount should help this, so give me a week or 2 and she will be back out there gunning for 13.4-5's@104-5mph

My mate did video the runs, so i will get it off him and post up later on.

so those runs where just with CAI ?? not the front mount ?

Have you done your engine mount yet ??

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    so those runs where just with CAI ?? not the front mount ?

Have you done your engine mount yet ??
    Yeah, just the inlet and cat back (not that that does much) no cooler yet. And yes, done the engine mount (TZR dog bone) before i started playin with all this.

Any updates mate?

Ok, yes i have an update, i drive the car home just 10 mins ago from the workshop with cooler fitted and even an extra surprise.....

I decided while we had the car apart at my mates shop this time (was getting annoyed taking parts from home to the shop to get welded and then back again) that we would make up a turbo inlet pipe for the car too. All went pretty good with knocking it all together and apart from being a bitch to fit in a rush looks tosit well. We didnt get the car all back together as it had been a long day so when it is i will take some shots of the bay. I have a few shots of the piping layed out and the inlet that i will post up later tonight.Cant wait to put a few K's on it so the computer is all up to date with the new parts then can give it some stick and see how it goes.

Jason

Sounds good Jason, look forward to seeing the pics..

Here are some pics, everyone loves pics...

Cooler piping all welded up, brackets made, washed out ready for instalation.

And here is some quick pics i grabbed of the new inlet we made up, yes it is very sinilar in appearance to another brand of inlet, but hey, there is not many other ways to make them up, and there all going to look prety much the same anyway.

didnt take any pics of the inlet fitted up as we were in a mad rush to get it all in the car and go home after a long day. Will take some tomorrow after its all tidied up and together and post up when i can.

Finally get to have some fun after all the hard work!

What sort of bends are you using? Alloy I know, but, what size, 2.5" or 60mm? Do you buy the bends of the shelf? I'm going to make my own cooler setup too.

Did you make the inlet pipe from the turbo or from the factory plastic one? CES make one from the turbo, I'll send you some pics when I get it, (too lazy to make it myself from scratch, I work there on Saturdays, so I'll make one of theirs).

Pics of the crappy Autobarn inlet pipe I currently have fitted, Its the existence of all my issues. Too bad you're not in Brissy, we'd get together and make a killing on aftermarket MPS parts. I won't say too much about what I'm knocking up at the moment, but it's along the lines of body bracing etc.

Last edited by 2XS; 23-03-2009 at 07:15 PM.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast