User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you buy a MPS?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChaMPS View Post
    I wasn't going to say anything.....
    Thats after he first decided against the MPS6 because it was too stylish and classy for him
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Thats after he first decided against the MPS6 because it was too stylish and classy for him
    You guys remember way too much....

Moving on now....

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I needed a bigger car. I had a 1 years old Golf 2.0 TDI which was superb, it was still nice a young and hadnt started to rattle, had all the toys (I even "quite" liked the 6 speed DSC), is sipped diesel at a mear 6.1L/100 around town driving like I do now (12.3L/100 in the MPS) and 4.9L/100 on the highway (7.9 now).

Then it happened. The first baby seat went in. Then and second one was required...hmmm capsule behind the passenger seat, regular trips to Bundy/Sydney - always night drives...NO CHANCE OF SLEEP.

Sooooo...the search began. $50,000max, had to be noice with all the toys and not as common as an assh%le (commodore and falcon gooone).

So after months of driving my wife mad it came down to Mazda 6 or Honda Accord Euro I drove the whole range of the 6 including the semi-impressive diesel but it only came in a classic spec. So, just to get it out of my system I drove the MPS...and loved it. Simple. Loved it.

Put my sensible Dad/Husband/Own Business Owner hat back on and trundled off back to Honda, re-tested the Accord Luxury, deceided it was the "sensible thing to do".

Well, Honda basically lost a sale to mazda (thank god!!!) because the jumped up 12 year old sales "boy" who was rude, obnoxious, had B.O. and generally pissed me off from the second he came out and asked "Looking for a car sir?"..."no I'm here for a labotomy". They couldnt offer me anything to make me sign on the line...discounts were crap, dealer principle reminded me of my mates dad who was a door to door insurance sales person.

Long story short, went straight back to Mazda, explained about the pubescent pre-teen tyring to sell me a car and told the Mid thirties, bronco supporting sales guy (last day in the sales month)..one offer, only one on a MPS6. Dont care which colour, as long as its here within 4 weeks.

The rest is history. Its been an AWESOME 14 months
    Last edited by EQ; 27-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Awesome story EQ

And just think how you would be in your Honda Accord right now

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Because a girl needs more than one hairdryer in her life

^^nice....

*ChaMPS bait ON*Because the XR5 was too slow*ChaMPS bait OFF*

Because i like to go fast ......"cause if your not first your last"

Seriously though ...one wheel wrencing, tourque steering test drive and i was like XRwhat????? and the sales woman was all like you could have this before christmas...and didnt feel like driving the missuses 121 metro to sydney and back twice ...and yeah the whole car just screamed class....

so went on the old google mobile and looked at all the comparo's and the quick times and the "class leading power"...so yeah i bought the shizit out of it

And loved every second since ....so yeah

I got a 6classic in '03 and loved the looks, the drive, the quality but it just lacked oomph. I was even photo'd and interviewed for the NRMA magazine when they did a feature on the 6 . Then the 6MPS came out but I was stuck in a 3 year lease and the $55K price tag was a bit steep.

By '06 it was clear that the 6MPS wasnt selling well, I expected I would be able to do something about the price. Before I went for my first test drive I knew I wanted it, and after the drive I wanted it BAD. Not a good negotiating position but they really wanted to move their demo model and offered it at a reasonable price. Done and dusted.

3 years later I have just renewed the lease and I'll own it ouright in 3 years (company car but I get an allowance). Now the factory warranty has expired its modding time.

Along the way I have ditched the old rims for some extra style (and more choice in rubber)

Scienceman, great to see another MPS6

All these MPS 6's are coming out of the woodwork

Bought an MPS3 Sport Pack because it has a gorgeous interior, lots of punch, 4 doors, and roomy enough to put my baby seat in the back. Like many people looking for a hot hatch, I was tossing between the WRX and the MPS (I like to keep to JAP cars). Well, the interior and exterior styling of the WRX just never grew on me. And when I drove it, althouugh it does have AWD, it lacked the finnesse that the MPS3 had around tight city corners. It had wayyy too much body roll and didnt feel as powerful. So here I am, 4 months later with my MPS3, which I reckon has got to be the best all round car I have ever owned.
    FUZ - Black '06 Mazda 3 MPS
    ======================
    Visit BruiserFightWear.com.au for cool TAPOUT clothing

Quote Originally Posted by fuz View Post
    has got to be the best all round car I have ever owned.
    Spot on, best on all counts!

...Why will I buy an MPS? Cus i've been in a few, and they have more zip than my SP23

I have seen a few of the sp25 hatches around lately......yuk......but i saw one in a sedan...and i never thought id say this but i actually think the 3MPS will look better as a sedan this time around...the hatch is bloody ugly the rear lights are so much better on the sedan......But in saying that the MPS may look the goods in the flesh....just have to wait and see i guess!!!!

15. Default

The decision to buy a 6MPS in mid-2006 came pretty quickly for me, but up until i test drove the car I had been looking for some months.

I looked at both new and second-hand vehicles. I really liked the Audi S4 twin turbo V6 model (2001/2002 B5 platform) - the loud old-school turbo whistle from just off idle, the fantastic engine and exhaust note as well as midrange push was a highlight, not to mention the beautiful Audi interior and subtle exterior. They have huge tuning potential and they're very rare. But the age of the car meant that they were out of warranty and Audi service and spare parts are not cheap, and second-hand they were still the same price as a new 6MPS. However every time I see one on the road I think of what might have been....

Here's a couple of great tribute videos to the S4 (yes, i love these cars!):

YouTube - Audi S4 (B5) tribute - Sleeper

YouTube - Stages: A Mod Addiction... an Audi S4 (B5) Tribute

Test drove the Golf GTI and was impressed, but there was a 3 month wait (I'm an impatient bugger) and no chance of price haggling. By the time I added xenons and a sunroof from the options list it would have cost more than the 6MPS - too much money for too little car. Plus the front wheel drive was a turn-off. And there seem to be heaps of them on the road now.

The XR6 Turbo was also a candidate - loved the power/torque/modification potential and predictable handling, but the interior and resale prospects were downers. Plus you see XR6s everywhere.

Next was the 6MPS. I wasn't too fussed on the front-end styling, especially the large lower air intake (I've since warmed to it), and the fake exhaust shrouds really annoyed me for some reason. But i forgot about that when i went for a spin...Very surprised! Loved the way the car pulled hard from almost any gear - that push back in the seat was addictive. Handling was great, the car launched hard and interior was also tastefully done. But getting back to the engine...that was what sold me on this car.

The Liberty GT I test drove last, and straight after the 6MPS, and power delivery and mid-range torque was disappointing in comparison. Plus it was only 5 speed. I still prefer the Liberty interior to the Mazda6 and at the time I preferred the exterior of the Liberty as well. Subaru Oz wasn't actually selling the 2.0 GT throughout most of 2006 because emission laws killed it at the end of 2005, so if i wanted one a demo model was the only choice. The 2.5 GT w/ 6 speed was introduced towards the end of 2006 but I'd already bought the 6MPS by then. I have driven the 2.5GT and although they have better midrange pull, they're still no match for the 6MPS in that department.
    Also test drove the 3.0R, and although the power delivery was silky smooth, it just wasn't enough punch for me.

After doing a bit more research I found out the 6MPS wasn't selling as well as Mazda had hoped, and discounts were making the car even more attractive. I set my budget and started ringing a few dealers, asking to speak to the sales manager. The first one who got back to me at the price I was after got the sale. I left a deposit over the phone and organised to finalise the deal the next day, and had the car a week later. The RX-8 rims were thrown in to sweeten the deal. Although originally after a non-leather model, I was fortunate to get a leather pack under my budget, so was stoked

So that's my long-winded story on why I bought the 6MPS. Its combo of performance, handling, understated looks, 4 year warranty and decent quality for the price was unbeatable in my books. 65,000km later I'm still a happy chappy. The front-end styling has grown on me and Ive fixed the fake exhaust tips. And when my old man took it for a drive he was so impressed he went out and bought one for himself!

16. Default

I had a MY05 Silver Subaru Impreza RS wagon before this car, which I absolutely loved 2.5l engine, lots of torque, WRX interior, I took my subi everywhere. My boyfriend thought it lacked power and was rough to drive, so I was looking for something else. I honestly had every intention of getting a black MY08 WRX wagon (was never a sedan fan) as my 3 yr lease was finishing up. I had a quick look in Mazda in April 2007 as it was right next to Subaru, they were having their runout sale, they had a demo red leather pack with 6000km and a brand spanking new 2005 model black pov pack one. I looked at them then headed off to WA for a holiday the next week not able to get the black MPS6 out of my head but still desperately waiting for the official shots of the MY08 WRX. I was in Margaret River when I hopped on the net and saw them, I was so devastated at what Subaru had done to the WRX and knew my 3 yr dream of my black WRX wagon was over.

We were in Cottesloe staying there for the last couple of days of our WA holiday (I loved Cottesloe) and I was across the road near the tea house and looked across to the pub and there was a dark MPS6 and these 2 guys got in and just totally launched off ... it sounded and looked so hot and damn quick .. I was sold. As soon as I got back to Canberra, the next day I rang up mazda to see if they still had the MPS6's there and they did, headed off in my Subi straight away down to Mazda dealer. I test drove the 3 MPS, 6 MPS and the MY07 WRX wagon all on the same day, spent at least 1/2 hour in each car driving around roads in the Cotter in Canberra (curvy/straight/gravel/bitumen basically the whole spectrum).

I liked the 3 MPS but didnt like that it felt small (smaller than my Subi anyway), the pedals felt close together, the torque steer and being front wheel drive and the way the car is limited in first and second gear to control the power, I really wished I liked it more cause I always preferred hatches.

I also had to test drive my beloved WRX wagon that day just cause I had wanted one for so long ... but it just didnt compare in any way to the 6. It was really rough, 5 speed not 6, didnt have the kick the MPS had, crappy seats (the seats in the previous non-aviator grill ones like my MY05 WRX seats were supurb), had some stupid cassette player in the non-matching stereo that looked like it was an afterthought. If I still had tried to convince myself I loved the subaru and brought it anyway I was going to have to spend at least $4K straight up changing the seats and the stereo.

The 6 MPS was really refined, comfortable, very smooth in power, I think really well fitted out for a car in this price range. I love the ability to be AWD especially coming from driving a subaru. One of a handful of cars where it has great front and tail lights. I love it that u dont see many of them around on the road so you have something a little unique. Some people might not like the smoothness of power and want more a real kick following a huge turbo lag, but I dont so I love that about this car. There is heaps of room in the car for 5 adults and amazing room in the boot. No doubt the handling could be improved by a sway bar etc, but I think for a stock car in this price range the value, power and driveability are just awesome. The clutch was tricky, but so was the subaru clutch, so it didnt bother me too much, I just got it replaced cause I could and because my bf whinged about it.

So that very same day after being totally smitten by seeing some WA black or radiant ebony MPS driver totally launch off from start, I ended up buying my black MPS6 pov pack brand new driveaway for $40K that very day and the smile has never left my face.

We also have an NC MX5 too, I love driving it as well because its a real drivers car, fast, small, totally hugs the road, but at the end of the day I love coming back to driving my car. Some ppl bag it for not looking sporty enough, being too big, being for old grandmas etc etc ... but its so not
    Last edited by blackbetty; 10-05-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Ummm, shouldnt it be AN not A?

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Ummm, shouldnt it be AN not A?

Shouldn't it be AN MPS not AN SP23

I was doing my best to be a reformed petrol head. Driving a Tribute and forcing myself to do low-velocity activities kept a lid on the withdrawals for few months. We all know styling is a subjective thing, and for me I’d always loved the styling and the interior of the 6, but was a little disappointed that this good looking car was only available in a low-performance FWD version.

Somewhere in my subconscious was a wish that Mazda would strap an AWD drive train under the 6 and give it some grunt. Then the stories started to trickle out of Japan that Mazda were doing just that. At first it was just a concept and I never thought they’d really put it into production. But if they did, it was going to be my ultimate car, this side of an RS4.

The MPS was a long time coming due to numerous development delays. While that was happening I was frequently seduced by articles that revealed photos of a car that was even hotter looking than the regular 6.

You know how some guys say there’s no harm in looking? Well there is. I was supposed to be reformed remember, I shouldn’t have been looking. It was messing with my head. When I mentioned the MPS to my wife I was reminded of all the promises I had made about not owning cars like that anymore. She was right of course. And I returned to a life of mediocrity.

Then one day I found myself standing in the yard at my local Mazda dealer, looking at my Tribute on the hoist having its third transmission installed. I was so over that car. Then I spotted a silver MPS in the far corner against the fence, covered in dust.

Without thinking about it for more than about 10 seconds I walked over to the salesman who I’d bought the Tribute from and made a ridiculous offer on the MPS. I was only joking really, just filling in some time and perhaps living out the fantasy of getting rid of the stinking Tribute. The salesman came back a few minutes later and said that if I upped my offer by a couple of grand I might be in with a chance. I said no, that’s my only offer.

I though that was the end of my game and I wandered back to the service department and my loan car. Then the salesman came looking for me and said congratulations, you have a deal.

That was Easter 2006. The last time I saw the Tribute it was still on the hoist and my MPS is about to clock 100,000 km. I bought it to drive it and that’s what I’ve done.

But in all seriousness if it didn't have the basics right like 5-star crash rating, moderate size and moderate fuel consumption it wouldn't have happened.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post

Shouldn't it be AN MPS not AN SP23

thats what I was getting at, this thread is about why you bought an MPS, I was pointing out it should be an MPS, nothing was said about SP23's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast