User Tag List

Thread: Ferrari F458 Italia Unveiled in Italy

Default Ferrari F458 Italia Unveiled in Italy

2010 Ferrari F458 Italia Revealed, Official Details And Pics Released

Ferrari F458 Italia Unveiled In Italy | The Motor Report: Auto News And Reviews

FERRARI HAS FINALLY lifted the lid on its all-new F458 Italia, the sucessor to the F430 and the latest addition to the marque’s long line of mid-engined supercars.

Showcasing a return to Ferrari’s old nomenclature of combining the engine’s volume and the number of cylinders, the F458 Italia is also notable for being the first mid-engined Ferrari to utilise a direct-injection engine and a dual-clutch gearbox.

The engine, a 4.5 litre V8, features a racecar-like compression ratio of 12.5:1 and cranks out a huge 425kW at a stratospheric 9000rpm. Torque is similarly eye-widening, with 540Nm being generated at 6000rpm and 80 percent of that figure being available from 3250rpm.

The V8’s substantial grunt is channeled into a seven-speed dual-clutch transaxle, which is the sole gearbox option and replaces the conventional six-speed manual and six-speed robotised manual transmissions of the F430.

The result of the bigger V8’s extra power and the new gearbox’s lightning-quick shifts is a 0-100km/h time of just 3.4 seconds, while the Italia’s top speed is claimed to be in excess of 325km/h - 6km/h more than the hard-core 430 Scuderia.

Straight line performance is only half of the Italia’s appeal, however, with handling being improved markedly over that of the outgoing F430.

The chassis, like the F430’s, is constructed from lightweight aluminium and weighs 1380kg dry. Weight distribution is a track-friendly 42 percent front, 58 percent rear and the double A-arm front and multi-link rear suspension are tuned for maximum performance.

The steering ratio has also been tightened up to improve response, and Ferrari has loaded the F458 Italia with a bevy of performance-enhancing electronic aids.

The latest version of Ferrari’s F1-trac traction control system and E-Diff3 active differential ensure seamless power delivery without compromising roadholding, and work in concert with a performance-optimised anti-lock braking system.

Ferrari says the combined effect of the electronics and suspension tuning results in an increase in lateral acceleration out of corners of 32 percent.

Traction is also enhanced by a pair of active winglets in the front airdam, which change position depending on speed to reduce wind resistance at high speed and increase downforce during cornering. Approximately 140kg of downforce is generated by the F458’s body at 200km/h.

But not only is it quick, but the F458 is also surprisingly thrifty. Thanks to the direct-injection engine, the Italia requires a relatively low 13.7 litres of petrol per 100km on the combined cycle. On the other hand, with CO2 emissions of 320g/km, it’s no tree-hugger either.

A local release date and pricing has yet to be announced, but expect the first F458 Italias to start landing in Australia before the end of 2010.

Gallery - Click Here

[Source: TMR]
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Blog Entries

Very nice!

wow!! mmmmmmmmm!

Ohhh 2010.....i should have enough saved up by then

I am a ferrari fan....and that looks very sweet.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

After watching Magnum PI as a young fella, I've always wanted a Ferrari. Now I've seen this I want one even more (and Magnum PI to be remade using the new F458!)

very nice....i like the slickness of it but the F430 is still my favourite by far....

I 'll take 4!

wow!!! so cool. that is one sexy beast

Yup tissue please