User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent disable of "key reminder beep"

Post Permanent disable of "key reminder beep"

This modification is suitable for all Mazda 3's and MPS3's;

A HOW TO thread with a step by step with picture log.
    Can this become a sticky…one only hopes

This is for all of the people that detest the continual annoying 'key reminder' alarm.

This is a step by step PERMANENT cure; it will only revert when you reverse the mod. It does not affect any other function or features of the car.

1. Remove entire steering wheel column casing,
    a) Remove the two screws in the lower casing near the steering wheel.
    b) On top to the steering casing pull up the soft rubber cover by pulling up in one of the corners. (Picture 1)

Click this bar to view the full image.

c) To remove the top casing press the small catches with a screwdriver and pull up till it clicks out. Gently pull the rest of the cover until it comes off, put it aside. (Picture 2)
    (steps C,D and E are not needed if you have smaller hands)

d) Remove key light by rocking back and forth until it clicks out.
    e) Pull lower casing down over key barrel.

2. Unplug Ignition loom (big bunch of wires in a white/grey/black plug on top) from rear of Ignition barrel by pressing grey keeper clip and pushing down. (Picture 3)

3. Remove small black plastic cover on rear of plug. (USE a jewellers screwdriver) (Picture 4)

4. Identify the thin red wire with black trace and remove it from the plug shell using small screwdriver to release retaining clip in the plug face (Picture 5)

5. Remove wire from plug shell and insulate it using electrical tape. (Picture 6)

6. Re-plug the loom and place black cover back on. Test by putting key in ignition and open door….ahh so quiet now! (Picture 7)

7. Reassemble steering wheel column casing.

The whole procedure took me no more than 20 minutes and only needed 2 screwdrivers; one medium Philips head and one very small flat screwdriver and some electrical tape/heat shrink to insulate, a light is also helpful. I can now do it in about 5min so it's really easy.

This mod has been carried out on my car over 2years ago and on about 12 other cars with out any problems.
    (sticky please mods)

have fun
    Andy
    Last edited by A Pirate; 28-07-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

Blog Entries

Great work. I'll give this a try on the weekend!

So you are saying your version of this mod doesnt prevent the interior lights from illuminating upon the keys being removed from the ignition?

4. Default

bump..

Blog Entries

He did say this in his original post:

It does not affect any other function or features of the car.

I do realise that.. but the only thing that has stopped me from doing this modification in the past is that every other variant opf the how to on the interweb proves that even tho the alarm is gone the Lights dont automaticly activate any more upon the removal of the key from the ignition barrel..

if you have indeed confirmed this function is no longer effected i will do this modification tonight

Blog Entries

Well I was going to give it a go on the weekend. I'll let you know then if you haven't already tried.

Thanks matey!

well in my car everything works, interior light turns on as normal then fades out when the car is locked locked or fades after a little while if not locked...i dont have an alarm though so dont know.

I have completed this mod on 04,05,06, 06 F.Lift,07 and 08 neos, maxx, maxxsport's and sp23's..(sedan's and hatchs),not an MPS yet BUT I assume if it works on all the other models it should work on a MPS.

As far as i know...i have disconected the wire in the main loom that goes to the buzzer from the key reminder....as my head lights still buzz if left on as does the set belt alarm.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

Blog Entries

Sweet as...I'll give it a go

should take you no more than 20min From start to finish...print my pics have a small jewellers screwdriver (flat and about 3mm across) to pop the clip out and its easy.

It would be good to know it works on a MPS too!

Thansk Pirate.. i will have a play this weekend perhaps..

now to figure out how to shut up the seatbelt alarm without haveing to go to the stealer........ grrrrrr

if we could get a wireing diagram we could work out what the other small wire is may be the seat beep one....dont know.

yeah nah its all to do with the airbags system it can be disabled with the diag software suite...

oh okies dont need to play with that then.

Im happy to confirm that this mod has done exactly as mr Pirate had said and doesnt affect any other functions.... as opposed to all the equivalents of this mod posted else where on the internet..

now to figure out how to run independant fog lamps and i will be happy!

happy days!

didn't think you would have a problem as i have done this on heaps of other 3's just not MPS3

hmmm

while i had the Column apart the other night doing this.. i got a thinking and decided to do a few Electrical tests on the Stalk that controls the lights and indicators

on annoyance of mine is that i can only have the Fogs turn on and off when the park lights are engaged..

i wanted to work out where this lock out occours.

i have proved that the Switch for the foglights is always live...

and but that it can only truely pass thru and trigger the fog relay on.. when the Park relay is triggered...

so i need to work out how i can get the 12v trigger to bypass the Park relay and go direct to the trigger of the fog relay.. does anyone know how to dissasemble the under hood relay box? so i can change a few connectors around?

this will be a simple fix once i can figure it out..

i know there are other foglight mods on the internet but none of which i would be happy to do on my own car.. they are all as dodgey as crap.. i mean comon who in their right mind uses crimp connectors and says they are the best option...solder and heat shrink guys... always!

Hey Andy the images have dropped off this thread, any chance of a new link for them

Here is my back up thread/post .... with pics....and my car!
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2174015/10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast