User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with HKS BOV

1. Default Help with HKS BOV

hey guys i may sound like a tool, but this is my first turbo car, i have no idea with it all and am still learning, i seen this video on youtube, its an mps with a HKS bov sounds awsome i want that exact sound, can any one advice me what to do and where i can buy that bov from etc, and also is that sound safe for the car im not worried about cops i wanna protect the car tho, i really want to have that sequential sound chew ....chew..... chew...., not one loud chew

here is the video YouTube - Mazdaspeed 6 DYNO

Blog Entries

I see you're in NSW. Why not ask MPS Garage what options they have available. They are one of our sponsors....

MPS Garage Australia

I think you will find in that movie the first few sounds are because the BOV is adjusted tightly, so its opening and closing again.
    this maybe? [YOUTUBE]dMfMry2SJaA[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Jmac; 27-07-2009 at 04:55 PM.

The HKS BOV is non adjustable. I have the HKS and to make that kind of sound I need to drive like a douche and let off on part throttle all the time. Full WOT shifts will get a single BOV sound. Also running VTA will probably be the only way to get it that loud, which will cause backfires and rough driving. If you run recirc it will not be as loud or as noticeable unless you run a metallic intake + inlet.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    The HKS BOV is non adjustable. I have the HKS and to make that kind of sound I need to drive like a douche and let off on part throttle all the time. Full WOT shifts will get a single BOV sound. Also running VTA will probably be the only way to get it that loud, which will cause backfires and rough driving. If you run recirc it will not be as loud or as noticeable unless you run a metallic intake + inlet.
    what is the set up u have vta? or recirc, and is urs the same sound just not as loud? because i want a set up that is still healthy not that back firing etc cheers

Recirc is your only option at the moment with the HKS if you don't want backfiring.

I would recommend that GFB Hybrid.
    I first heard it on another members car and decided I wanted.
    A few others are using the same, I run it in 50/50 (recirc/VTA)
    Its adjustable plus Australian.

Clicky link below
    Go Fast Bits

you want;
    Part # 1017

Suits Nissan Skyline GTS-T R32-34, R35 GTR, Mazda 3 & 6 MPS and CX7. Note that the Whistling trumpet (part # 5701) is compatible with this version.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

+1 on the GFB hybrid bov...also running this in 50/50..very good build quality

I have the HKS SSQ running full vented, The design of the HKS allows MPS owners to run vented (it sucks open, not blows open), so it doesn't leak at idle. I only have small popping between gears and no rough idleing.

It sounds more like a rocket-type whistle under full boost or like a flutter under part throttle "ch ch ch"

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I have the HKS SSQ running full vented, The design of the HKS allows MPS owners to run vented (it sucks open, not blows open), so it doesn't leak at idle. I only have small popping between gears and no rough idleing.

It sounds more like a rocket-type whistle under full boost or like a flutter under part throttle "ch ch ch"
    is full vented mean 100% vta? , and where can i purchase a hks ssq bov from i live in sydney? sorry about dumb questions trying to learn it all

Yes ^^
    Support site supporters

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...alve-kit-.html

Edit - dw about the questions, if you dont ask you wont know Its all relevant to the thread.
    Last edited by Jmac; 27-07-2009 at 10:33 PM.

so is the hks the only bov that the mps can run vented ??? from previous posts i had pretty gathered we couldn't run anything more then 50/50 without backfiring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    so is the hks the only bov that the mps can run vented ??? from previous posts i had pretty gathered we couldn't run anything more then 50/50 without backfiring etc.
    I have a TXS Hybrid BOV which can run both. Pretty sure it can. Has a nice sound to it too.

Made up a plate to block off the pipe where the BOV goes. Sounds like a VL dosing. haha. Well maybe not THAT loud. but definitely sounds the part.

Only had it on for 5 minutes. Won't cause any damage will it? haha

14. Default

There's a range of BOV's that can be used on the MPS's
    TURBOSMART = direct bolt on
    HKS SSQV = we have a bolt on kit which will no leak, unlike the Ebay copy
    and there's others on the market which I'm sure would be a bolt on as well.
    But these are the only two BOV's which we stock

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    Think about how a turbo'd car works. Air is compressed through the turbo, travels through the IC and then into the intake manifold before finally entering the engine. When you're driving at WOT the air is flowing pretty quickly into the engine. As soon as you take your foot off the throttle for whatever reason, you're no longer accelerating and the engine does not need as much air, which results in the throttle plate closing. At this point imagine you're blowing air into a straw that you've closed off on the other side with your finger. That's what happens when you take your foot off the accelerator under boost without a BOV/BPV. The whole purpose of the BOV/BPV is to alleviate that dangerous pressure on the throttle plate by letting the air go somewhere else. Our car does this by sending the air back into the intake (recirculation) via the BPV (ByPass Valve) which does the whole trip again. The issue with running VTA (Vent To Atmosphere) is that the engine is expecting X amount of air (which is being measured by the MAF at a point before air reenters the intake), but it's now getting X-Y (Y being the amount of air being vented) amount of air causing it to run rich, which means essentially unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust and igniting usually in the cat (which at operating temperatures is usually at hundreds of degrees). This causes the popping or backfiring that people talk about.

Now when people talk about 50/50, it means that the BOV has an extra outlet which allows some air to leave the system as well as some to re-enter the intake. This means you're running X - (Y/2) which is not as rich as full VTA. The HKS does not have the extra outlet to run 50/50.

If you really must have that sound, as mentioned before just get an intake system and run recirculation. The sound will be loud enough. VTA will attract attention from the police, considering that even recirculation can be heard by other drivers.

If at this point you still have questions, I suggest you read up a bit more on BOV/BPV as there is a ton of information available on the net. People who mod without some knowledge of what they're doing run the risk of doing some serious and expensive damage.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

16. Default

Even in full recirc mode, so long as you have an open pod style filter, it will be loud. I had a pedestrian comment on my BOV being quite loud even though it runs in recirc mode.

I can just imagine you sitting at the lights making the BOV sounds at a person waiting to cross

18. Default

Unfortunately not as loud at idle... so I've been told.. haven't tried myself..

so which is louder, a turbosmart in 100% recirc or a hks in 100% recirc??

and easier to install/maintain etc.

also, is there no such thing as a flutter valve? a valve purposely designed to go psh sh sh shh as if you BOV is adjusted to tightly?
    Last edited by steviekfc; 03-08-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steviekfc View Post

also, is there no such thing as a flutter valve? a valve purposely designed to go psh sh sh shh as if you BOV is adjusted to tightly?
    on the turbosmart a "trumpet" like thing can go on it, which when on vent, gives you that noise.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast