User Tag List

Thread: DIY Cold Air Intake (CAI) water shield

Default DIY Cold Air Intake (CAI) water shield

Hi all, recently I've encountered some CEL's from water entering my CAI and throwing the MAF readings out. This has mostly occurred in heavy rain where the roads are quite wet. Frustrating as the engine will miss a few beats and worrying as you think you may have a hydrolock issue. I have a CP-e CAI with the pre-filter water shield, however moisture has still managed to make it past this.

So after a bit of research and discussion I decided to install a water shield. I know some of you may already have this in place but talking to a few people out there who don't so if you'd like to do this then read on.

All you need is some flexible shielding material (I got some Universal Chequered plate from Super Cheap Auto), some cable ties, a drill and about 1/2 hour to install and complete. I did mine at the same time I cleaned my air filter as I didn't want to muck around twice removing wheels and guard lining.

Step 1 - Measure the area where the vents are located in the guard liner. On the MPS 6 the area is 300mm x 300mm

Step 2 - Cut the flexible material (Chequered Plate) to the size of the area you wish to cover. Stanley knife and a straight surface is all that is required.

Step 3 - Align the flexible material with the vents on the inside of the guard lining and drill 2 x 3mm holes at each corner and at the vertical midpoint to securely fasten the guard lining to the flexible material.

Step 4 - Insert cable ties through both the holes of guard lining and flexible material and tie off

Step 5 - Trim ends of cable ties and replace and reattach guard lining.

I gave this a brief test today with the garden hose spraying water at the vents whilst revving the engine and there were no signs of a CEL. Additionally the area around the filter still has access to sufficient air so closing these vents should not restrict airflow.
    Cheers
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

The simple things are often the best. Hope it keeps the water out, I think it will.

3. Default

Even more simple would be just to go get a short RAM intake. I never had issues with that one (COBBs are good), even when I had the HP cleaner out under the car....

4. Default

What about your air pick up
    Why don't you use a water resistance pre filter or moon guard

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Even more simple would be just to go get a short RAM intake. I never had issues with that one (COBBs are good), even when I had the HP cleaner out under the car....
    Agree Wardski, simpler but as I already had a CAI and apart from a bit of water it works fine so I thought I'd persevere with it. Talked about converting it to an SRI with Nuliaj recently so may do this one day!

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    What about your air pick up
    Why don't you use a water resistance pre filter or moon guard
    Am monitoring air pick up, seems to be no difference though I didn't take before dash hawk readings for air flow (should have done this!) Already have a Cp-e prefilter and moisture still got in! it probably helped 90% of time, but some larger puddles and heavier rain seems to be when water still got through. What's a moon guard?

Cheers guys!

6. Default

I'll have a busy night tomorrow making one of these myself. Just got back from canberra from the coast (3 hour drive), the whole trip was pouring rain. The first overtaking lane put the foot down and it stuttered as soon as it hit boost and threw a MAF CEL, had to grandma it home.

Looked at it tonight and the AEM Filter is soaked! I'm guessing it just got air starvation when on boost, and a little bit of moisture got into the MAF.

interesting mate.. how would you convert to SRI? jus cut the intake pipe? wat about the placement of the MAF housing?

im asking because i was thinking of jus gettin a SRI but if i can convert my CAI for cheaper that would be great!

i hope the shield works for ya mate, doesnt look bad hay

Quote Originally Posted by 3mpsblack View Post
    interesting mate.. how would you convert to SRI? jus cut the intake pipe? wat about the placement of the MAF housing?

im asking because i was thinking of jus gettin a SRI but if i can convert my CAI for cheaper that would be great!

i hope the shield works for ya mate, doesnt look bad hay
    It may be as simple as cutting the CAI down so it's shorter and you end up with the filter in the engine bay, but may cause airflow issues with the MAF positioning? I haven't thought about it too much lately, but maybe something like this? Oh and you'd need to replace the vacuum hose thingy too, so maybe cheaper to get an SRI

Blog Entries

Pre Filters will only get rid of most spray not all water but it also depends on the brand. A lot of cheaper pre-filters don't work as well. IMO Outwear is the best brand, we have used there prefilters for years in watercraft and anything less than submerging the boat itself, the water is kept out.

I actually found my SRI to get more water on it due to water coming in through the front of the car itself and going straight on the filter but this depends on where abouts you place the filter.

Remember the more air you push towards the filter the more chance you will get water in it when it rains...there is just no win win when it comes to water and aftermarket filters.
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Agree Wardski, simpler but as I already had a CAI and apart from a bit of water it works fine so I thought I'd persevere with it. Talked about converting it to an SRI with Nuliaj recently so may do this one day!

Am monitoring air pick up, seems to be no difference though I didn't take before dash hawk readings for air flow (should have done this!) Already have a Cp-e prefilter and moisture still got in! it probably helped 90% of time, but some larger puddles and heavier rain seems to be when water still got through. What's a moon guard?

Cheers guys!
    Hey buddy

it wouldnt be hard to convert the CAI to allow it to be Easily Interchangable

ie allow it to be a SRI in the Winter/Wet Season and a CAI in the Dry Season

all you would need is to cut a section and then get a Silicone Joiner..

I like my K&N SRI thou... and its heat sheild works surprisingly well!

I'm not sure chopping a CAI would be the best idea, it was never designed to be a SRI and seems a lot of work for something that may or may not work very well. Why not just sell the CAI and buy a SRI? Get something like the corksport one and it replaces the inlet pipe as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    I'm not sure chopping a CAI would be the best idea, it was never designed to be a SRI and seems a lot of work for something that may or may not work very well. Why not just sell the CAI and buy a SRI? Get something like the corksport one and it replaces the inlet pipe as well.
    I think you're right mate, buying an SRI would be alot simpler!

Overall I'm happy with the CAI and my water shield, though probably need to do some investigation and analysis to see if covering the vent in the front left guard prevents heat from evacuating the engine bay Also am looking at constructing some sort of ducting from the grille area to the area where the filter pod of the CAI sits to see what benefits this has - similar to Ranton's post http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...ion-noise.html