User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So I went and checked out the new 3 MPS today...

Default So I went and checked out the new 3 MPS today...

I went to two Mazda dealers today to have a look at the new 3 MPS, didn't drive one but had a good look over them and a good chat to sales and tech staff at both the dealers. I thought I'd share my impressions.

In person they look quite different to any of the photos I've seen, but I'm still not convinced that I like it. I have a feeling this model may turn out to be the MPS equivalent of the unloved "bug eye" WRX, from a styling perspective anyway. I'm not a fan of the light blue colour, red I could take or leave, didn't get to see a grey one and the black looks the best of the 3 colours I saw. From front on and front 3/4 all I could think was Peugeot 407. If someone makes a replacement front bar kit for the new 3 it could be a good money spinner.

407 vs 3 MPS - front end appearance

Initial impressions of the interior were good, there are a few details which I quite liked, such as the electric mechanism for the drivers seat. I thought the seats themselves were actually worse than the superseded model, particularly lacking in thigh support. This is an area where the old model drew praise, but I think Mazda has gone backwards here. An option for Recaros in the luxury pack probably wouldn't go astray...please add this for the next update Mazda!

The steering wheel is way too busy with all the buttons on it, but feels good in the hand. I like the raised centre console and slightly changed gearshift position. The engine start button is hidden to the left of the steering column, if you're going to have one it may as well be easily accessible ala Focus XR5. I thought the start button was added as an afterthought, as it gave me that impression of just being stuck anywhere they could put it. The benefits of the keyless entry system would be good to have in daily driving though.

Onto the rear hatch, I've got no idea why the simple and effective hidden handle at the bottom of the tailgate was changed to a rubber button on the tailgate which activates an electric lock mechanism. You still have to pull the hatch up from where the handle was anyway. Some may like it, but I thought it was just change for the sake of changing and it doesn't offer any ergonomic or functional improvement at all.

The incoporation of Sat Nav in the centre of the dash was pretty cool. My thoughts are that the screen is a tad small if you're used to the bigger commercial units, and will seem far away if you're used to having yours on the far right side of the dash.

Great that Mazda has got their act together with the rubber, and has put 18"x7.5" rims with 225/40/18's on it. The previous model was definitely under-tyred from the factory, with most of us experiencing vast improvements once we've moved to 225 or wider tyres.

Everything else looked pretty much the same to me. Staff from both dealers made quite interesting comments when we got chatting, the gist of it being "There are some cool gadgets in it but if you've got a good example of the old one there's no point buying this one as it's basically the same car"

So in summary (without a drive mind you), to borrow a phrase I picked up in Thailand on my recent holiday...

The new 3 MPS is:
    "Same, same...but different"

@ same, same...but different

Nice review Talldanski...

Im about to head out now and do my experience.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan, great review. Look forward to getting a test in one over here!

Well on the debate side I dont see the the Peugeot I like the new muscular look of the MPS....the rear buttons are something I'm use to as the 2 has a button on the tailgate and at first I though but after leaving with it I don't have a problem with it.

As I haven't lived with a MPS as a daily it would be hard for me to compare the seats but after being in and out of them on Wednesday I found them very supportive. I will agree that the steering wheel is busy and I don't think much of the Silver but all in all my personal opinion is that Mazda have brought the MPS forward....

I test drove one today and would agree with most of what's been said about the cars interior/exterior.
    As for the drive, The car feels smoother on boost and accelerating. The gear change and clutch are smoother. Overall a slightly better drive. If you don't have a 3 MPS then I would recommend the new one, if you currently drive a 3 MPS I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify buying the new one.
    I have a 2006 3 MPS sports with 60k on the clock and will be keeping it for the above reason and the dealer offered me $20,500 trade in( I nearly fell of the chair in shock).

Quote Originally Posted by Greigrob View Post
    If you don't have a 3 MPS then I would recommend the new one, if you currently drive a 3 MPS I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify buying the new one.
    That's pretty much the conclusion I've arrived at as well.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Team Green View Post
    Well on the debate side I dont see the the Peugeot I like the new muscular look of the MPS....the rear buttons are something I'm use to as the 2 has a button on the tailgate and at first I though but after leaving with it I don't have a problem with it.

As I haven't lived with a MPS as a daily it would be hard for me to compare the seats but after being in and out of them on Wednesday I found them very supportive. I will agree that the steering wheel is busy and I don't think much of the Silver but all in all my personal opinion is that Mazda have brought the MPS forward....
    All my comments are coming from the perspective of a long term current owner and daily driver of the previous model looking at a justification for upgrading, which does introduce bias into my opinion. I'm not looking at the new model with a fresh set of eyes. Keep that in mind when reading my comments

Taken in isolation, yeah I like the new MPS. But there's another car which is 99% the same experience and won't cost me another $20k to have...that's the 3 MPS I've got now.

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

ha ha ha, same, same, but different. Do you want a suit? G'Day mate..........

ha ha ha

Good write up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    That's pretty much the conclusion I've arrived at as well.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

All my comments are coming from the perspective of a long term current owner and daily driver of the previous model looking at a justification for upgrading, which does introduce bias into my opinion. I'm not looking at the new model with a fresh set of eyes. Keep that in mind when reading my comments

Taken in isolation, yeah I like the new MPS. But there's another car which is 99% the same experience and won't cost me another $20k to have...that's the 3 MPS I've got now.
    i drove the new mps today and i would not buy one.. yeah all the buttons are cool but there way to many. and yes if you do not already own a mps buy the the new its cool..but i think that the mps has lost is ANIMAL its to smooth for my liking. i like having the steering wheel almost ripped out of my hands when putting the foot down...

Well guys....i took the test drive.

My conclusion

As a owner of a current MPS for over 2.5yrs and 95000kms on the clock, I personally wouldnt buy it.

But...I will say...its very nice inside and smooth as. Im used to the brutal animal inside the car, so to me it felt like i was in a camry.

The rear boot button and lock button on tail light still annoy me as I see no need for them. You still have to reach up to pull the hatch up.

The boost gauge...i really didnt take much notice off as I rarely look at the cluster when driving.

The stereo was great, the ride was smooth and the power was still there...just not brutal enough for me.

If you dont have a current MPS or thinking about a SP25 spend the extra....by all means.. go get one in Aluminium Metallic.

But as others have said....I cannot justify paying $20K for a car i already have with a few trinkets chucked in.

I will keep my car a little longer and then look at the Megane R250.

If that is not to my liking...I will wait for the 2nd series update.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Time for my tale...

Well, you all know I drive a SP23.. which, as nice a car as it is, just doesn't pack the punch of an MPS.

After driving a couple of MPS's previously, and seeing the new MPS pictures, it made me want to look into this seriously.

Fast forward.

Many out there arn't keen on the new look, I for one love it. Aggressive in its styling (i've said that before), and more bells and whistles than the previous, kudos to those at Mazda who designed it.

Whist the interior was a little busy, you certainly arn't going to use every feature at the same time - so having everything that you might use, whilst driving, I think is a good thing.

From the moment I pressed the start button (kinda nifty!) it made me smile. The delivery of power was smooth, the gears engaged well, with no sloppy feel. The ride nice and firm, but not enough to jar the back, and when you put the foot down, off it goes.

Im happy I made the move... I think there will be plenty of people who drive NA models upgrading. That said, those who have the old version.. I think the general consensus is that they'll hold on to them.

Edit: At the end of the day, its you that has to be happy, not other people. And this is the exact reason why I'm upgrading.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Yeah I can see plenty of SP23 owners making the leap over the next couple of years, you're a trendsetter

Default Just working out what colour?

I took one for a drive today and having never driven the previous model I must say I was very impressed. I expected a much harder ride than what I got. I drive a VY Storm ute now and the MPS was no harder. There is a lot going on inside but it's all useful. I agree that the push button start position was a bit odd and so is the one in the taillight.

I am just waiting for the sales guy who I have dealt with before to get back from Brisbane and to work out which colour I want (Black/Silver) and I'm doing the deal.

14. Default

Have not seen one in the flesh or driven one but I can not forgive the styling.

From the rear bumper to the opening of the scoop I can live with. The smiling face is terrible, and does not scream performance car. It screams WRX in drag.

It looks depressed, it looks confused, it looks cranky and it looks emotional. It does not look aggressive, or angry, it does not have presence. (in my opinion)

Sadly a new front clip will not correct this. The angle of the bonnet is going to make it very hard to change the front end. If the bonnet was flatter and the lights didn't protrude out so far into the front clip I could like this car. But sadly, I can not see anyway around the front end.

For example I am thinking of getting a Volvo S40 T5 AWD. Get the R-Design body kit, lower the car an inch on some nice springs and put some 18inch BBS RSGT rims on it and it will look amazing. I can not see those modifications in the new MPS.

So for me I'll be skipping this model run of MPS and looking to spend my hard earned on something more expensive but faster out of the box.

While it's up to the individual to decide if the new model justifies an upgrade, I will say that that the "animal" characteristics of the old car (torque steer, wheel spin etc) are all things that handicapped the car and slowed it down.

By reducing some of its bad manners, Mazda have made a car that is quicker because it's more competent and its limits are higher.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Mazda have made a car that is quicker because it's more competent and its limits are higher.
    Heard that Dan, no excuses when you get yours...you got the upper hand when we get to measure yours againts mine, Im the underdog

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

the "animal" characteristics of the old car (torque steer, wheel spin etc) are all things that handicapped the car and slowed it down.

...those characteristics also sold the car to many.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

I will say that that the "animal" characteristics of the old car (torque steer, wheel spin etc) are all things that handicapped the car and slowed it down.
    The animal factor was a reason I bought mine, easy to go 7-8/10 in it, wringing that last couple of tenths from it makes for an awesomely fun car!

Fair enough I don't disagree, but I reckon if you recalibrate your sphincter, doing 8/10ths in the new car would be even more fun.

As a 2 driver and yes I drive it like I'm stealing it and I'm extremely happy with it but like Dansp23 said I like the new shape and the frontend slides into the new side lines which transpire to the nifty raised tail lights...

After driving them all day last Wednesday I have made up my mind to step upto a MPS3 when my lease on the 2 reaches 2yrs in Feb 2010

Made my visit to mazda today. Must admit I thought the car would look better in the flesh vs all the pics published.

Sadly I was actually shocked by the front end. There would be no way of improving the look of that frontend, even the black could not mask that snout.

The other shock was the seats/seat colour.

Anyhow I'm not going to beat on the thing but will say that i wouldnt consider the 2010 mps and a 135i is on the cards.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast