User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So I went and checked out the new 3 MPS today...

it looks like the 2's big bro now.....way to go Mazda its hawt...

I for one dont like it..

I chose not to continue my VW ownership after they released the MKV and subsequently the MKVI

I had two MKIV Golfs...

This will be the same after i have finished my time with the MPS..

New model isnt my cuppa whatso ever...

and the bonnet scoop is just plain

Especially after having the cleaverly integrated / fed topmount on the outgoing variant of the 3

Good bye the 3 the flew under the radar.... hello the 3 that looks like it belongs on Oxford Street in Sydney

I have to say it is growing on me, and seeing pics of both generations side by side the new one does make the old one look old.
    I think I'm in the same boat as many, can't justify the change over price for a car that performance wise is much the same. I think I'll hold out and see how they improve the 2011 and 2012 model, otherwise I'm changing over to the RS (I'm still not convinced that we won't get and in Oz)

4. Default

I just don't understand why anyone would buy a car that has to "grow on them." It's like when I bought my SP23 and thought I was ordering it in Winning Blue (I even pointed to a 2 in that colour that was on the floor). When it arrived in Aurora Blue, I was devastated. It's not what I wanted. Everyone said it would grow on me, but I hated the colour. I was glad when I sold it, as even though I should have loved the car (it had all the features I wanted), I couldn't stand the look of it.

So yeah, I don't think I'll ever buy a car that has to "grow on me" in the styling department.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Armthehomeless View Post
    So yeah, I don't think I'll ever buy a car that has to "grow on me" in the styling department.
    This car didnt have to grow on me.

From the initial pics, I loved it. I wanted to see in the flesh... and my assumptions were the same. It's killing me waiting for it.

I said it once, I'll say it again... you'd never call your own baby ugly.. sometimes, you'll call other peoples baby ugly (ok, not a cute bubsy wubsy...). Those that have, or intending to take on the new MPS, will love their baby.

...new WRX Sedan is an ugly baby.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

I just don't understand why anyone would buy a car that has to "grow on them." It's like when I bought my SP23 and thought I was ordering it in Winning Blue (I even pointed to a 2 in that colour that was on the floor). When it arrived in Aurora Blue, I was devastated. It's not what I wanted. Everyone said it would grow on me, but I hated the colour. I was glad when I sold it, as even though I should have loved the car (it had all the features I wanted), I couldn't stand the look of it.

I have been meaning to say the exact same for weeks and just keep forgeting.

I buy I car that I have seen and like straight away, buying a car that you think is ugly and hoping it will grow on you just doesnt make much sense.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DanSP23Bris View Post
    This car didnt have to grow on me.

From the initial pics, I loved it. I wanted to see in the flesh... and my assumptions were the same.
    Thats the way it should be
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by DanSP23Bris View Post
    I said it once, I'll say it again... you'd never call your own baby ugly.. sometimes, you'll call other peoples baby ugly (ok, not a cute bubsy wubsy...). Those that have, or intending to take on the new MPS, will love their baby.

...new WRX Sedan is an ugly baby.
    If my babies were like this, I'd be calling the midwife back and telling them,"you've given me someone else's kids where's mine"

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    I have been meaning to say the exact same for weeks and just keep forgeting.

I buy I car that I have seen and like straight away, buying a car that you think is ugly and hoping it will grow on you just doesnt make much sense.
    I so agree with this. I like the new 3MPS, though I like my 6 better which is why I won't get one now, yet when I upgrade I'll again buy something that looks great, drives great, is great value and will bring a smile to my face every day, even it grins at me like a cheshire cat
    Last edited by shakespeare; 27-07-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Default Im gett'n one

For those of you that have not seen the car in the flesh, please do! It is much better than what the pics illustrate. And it does/will grow on you!

I'm not going to try and convince anybody on here, but I'm getting one. It was great timing, as my lease has runout on my SS. While the MPS is no beauty queen, it will make the old model look dated very quickly. In fact, her *ss is much hotter than the old model and is an important feature, because it's all a lot of people will ever see. Surely you agree?...

Given a lack of performance improvement, I can see why some will not upgrade. But for new MPS converts like myself, I know I am going to be proud to say I own a 2010 MPS.

I pick my red one up this Friday and cannot wait.

9. Default

I know there are people who like the styling, but there seem to be a lot who are unsure about it. Particularly the weird bulge out the front, the smiley face, and the large rear end. And to the people who have mentioned that as their reason for not rushing out to buy it, many others have told them it will grow on them and not to worry about it. It's to those people I was directing my comment.

I mean, I like some things that are obviously ugly sometimes. I can't recall anything off the top of my head at the moment, but I remember liking a few things especially because they were so ugly they were almost good looking. So I get that people would like the new generation 3s. I'm just not one of them. I find their styling irritating, and thus would never get one. Even if people are sure it would grow on me in the end. I want to buy a car because I love it straight away. It's such a large purchase that you don't want to be compromising your preferences. I'd say the same applies for a house. Who wants to spend so much money on a house they don't actually want to live in? Seems a waste of time and effort to me.

I think it's more to do with the fact that the more you see of it the more you like it. My initial reaction was that it was ugly, but that could have been to do with bad camera angles. Now that I've seen it in the flesh it's growing on me.
    I think comparing a colour and a cars styling is completely different.
    When the mazda 3 first came out, I hated the hatch and really liked the sedan, now that opinion has reversed. On the other hand I didn't like the mazda 3 yellow and I never will

Quote Originally Posted by RedMPS View Post
    For those of you that have not seen the car in the flesh, please do! It is much better
    It didnt do the trick for me.

And it does/will grow on you!

Nice job posting only the back and not the front

Oh yes, Welcome by the way
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

For those of you that have not seen the car in the flesh, please do! It is much better than what the pics illustrate. And it does/will grow on you!

I'm not going to try and convince anybody on here, but I'm getting one. It was great timing, as my lease has runout on my SS. While the MPS is no beauty queen, it will make the old model look dated very quickly. In fact, her *ss is much hotter than the old model and is an important feature, because it's all a lot of people will ever see. Surely you agree?...

Given a lack of performance improvement, I can see why some will not upgrade. But for new MPS converts like myself, I know I am going to be proud to say I own a 2010 MPS.

I pick my red one up this Friday and cannot wait.

Congrats mate, where did you get it from?

I've got another 19 days till mine lands in Australia
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

I Love Velocity Red - I want one too

btw RedMPS and congrats on your purchase

Blog Entries

Yeah welcome Red, I missed your post earlier. The VR looks awesome, you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and we have some nice red declas that will match it

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by teamfletch1 View Post
    I think comparing a colour and a cars styling is completely different.
    That's because you're not a female. Most females choose a car based on what colours it comes in. There are obviously a lot of exceptions to this rule (like the females on this forum), but it's true for a lot of females. I only started looking at the Mazda 3s when I saw a heap of the Winning Blue ones running around and I liked the colour. Otherwise I probably never would have picked it. I probably would have gone with a Toyota in that blue colour the Aurions come in.

Hmmm, this seems to be something which divides opinions. So while appreciate peoples views, I ask that you wait another 6mths and then see what you think then. It seems to me people are judging this book by its cover. And while I appreciate that looks are important, true beauty is skin deep.

Personally, I never liked the look of the former MPS. It looked too much like a standard 3. It wasn't until my mate told me of their performance that I looked beneath the covers. After a test drive, I was in love! After that day, my whole opinion of the MPS' beauty changed. I saw it in a different light. All I ask is that those of you that are close to the old model, try and remember how you truly felt the first time you met the car. I’m sure you'll agree, if you allow yourself too, that it wasn't winning any beauty contest or hot hatch sports design awards for you. In fact, I’ve heard all the advantages as to why "it looks so much like the standard 3" was a good thing. But lets face it, you wanted a hotter, a louder, an "I’m gunna eat you up and spit you out" design. So to be fair, the MPS was never about beauty. It’s about sheer performance and the smile it put on your face while your body was thrust into the back seat.

It is the new breed, driving the MPS for the first time that will fully get it, and love it. They’ll love it for the reasons current owners of the old model love theirs. And beauty is a small part of that emotion.

So, having said all that, I’m sure many will agree to disagree, and will say they’ll still hate it in 6mths time. I’d love to prove you wrong, but I guess this thread will be old and dusty by then. And it’s too tempting to reply immediately and tell me why your current car is superior.

For me, I have already acquired the taste, and I like it! When I see pics now, I see something hot, something special. Even with the big nose!! (BTW... Thanks for the Welcomes... I got mine from City Mazda, Melb.)

Last edited by RedMPS; 27-07-2009 at 03:07 PM.

At least you guys have been able to look/touch/feel/drive/smell the new MPS - my dealer reckons they have NO IDEA when they are taking delivery of one!!

Great write up mate! Sums up my sentiment too! That is, the old one, yes some like the sleeper, but it did look like a Maxx Sport with big wheels.

I am getting mine from South City Mazda, Brisbane. Black Luxo. Like you, can't wait.

Be sure to get pix up soon as you get it. to OMPSC too!

Congrates on your buy's Dan and red mps, you will love it, but i will be keeping my 07 mps, i just found it more fun to drive than the new one the 2010 is to smooth for me... i remember the first time i saw my mps 24 hours later i was driving it home love at first sight

welcome to the site Redmps enjoy your new ride
    Last edited by plop; 27-07-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Hmmm, this seems to be something which divides opinions. So while appreciate peoples views, I ask that you wait another 6mths and then see what you think then. It seems to me people are judging this book by its cover. And while I appreciate that looks are important, true beauty is skin deep.
    Wait another 6 months? whats happening in 6th months?

Most of the people judging this "book" has more experience with the MPS3 than people like yourself who is just about to start the MPS experience, so they know what is underneath its cover, yet most of them have been disappointed...yes even after taking a test drive.

Personally, I never liked the look of the former MPS. It looked too much like a standard 3.
    So what if it did, it was still a good looking car...again it goes down to personal preference.

It wasn't until my mate told me of their performance that I looked beneath the covers. After a test drive, I was in love! After that day, my whole opinion of the MPS' beauty changed. I saw it in a different light.
    Does this means you thought the car was ugly and now you only like it after taking a test drive? In that case I guess some people's opinion can change that way, for me it could never be that way when it comes to cars anyways, for me its 50-50(looks-performance)

All I ask is that those of you that are close to the old model, try and remember how you truly felt the first time you met the car. I’m sure you'll agree, if you allow yourself too, that it wasn't winning any beauty contest or hot hatch sports design awards for you. In fact, I’ve heard all the advantages as to why "it looks so much like the standard 3" was a good thing. But lets face it, you wanted a hotter, a louder, an "I’m gunna eat you up and spit you out" design. So to be fair, the MPS was never about beauty. It’s about sheer performance and the smile it put on your face while your body was thrust into the back seat.
    Massive fail mate, to me the SP23HB and now the original MPS3 were very very good looking cars. Even without taking a test drive I knew they were the cars that I wanted. So a big NO, its not all about sheer performance, ist about going fast in style

It is the new breed, driving the MPS for the first time that will fully get it, and love it. They’ll love it for the reasons current owners of the old model love theirs. And beauty is a small part of that emotion.
    The only bit where we can agree, yes only the people who dont really have that much experience if none at all with the MPS who will fully get it.

For me, I have already acquired the taste, and I like it! When I see pics now, I see something hot, something special. Even with the big nose!! (BTW... Thanks for the Welcomes... I got mine from City Mazda, Melb.)
    Congratz on your purchase dude, Im sure you will enjoy it to the max..., ugly or not the MPS will always be a very special car
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 27-07-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast