User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new generation Mazda 3 MPS – technical review

Great article Mal, I'm glad you got the drive. Likewise about the direction this post went. Not everyone requires a boy-racer style car, but a car like the MPS that develops the smoothest power output and drive I have ever felt in a car since the days of the VL turbo when new (amzing performance for a family sedan in their era). My sons Pulsar GTiR (highly modified) had enourmous torque and unbelievable acceleration, but was harsh and neck snapping.
    My MPS6 may not be as quick as a M3 but I didn't pay over $100,000, it may not have the notariety of some other cars, but the MPS certainly is far superior in it's quality. Son's MPS3 is a much nicer drive than the Pulsar.
    Why on earth would you want to modify a car that is already is one of the best road cars available and has more than adequate performance for Australian roads.

"It is impossible to get something for nothing" a very true and scientifically correct statement. 40 years of modifying cars I have learnt that this is true. For every gain there is an equivelant loss somewhere else. eg More power - more fuel used

I used to supply a box of tissues as a joke to the students when I put their so-called hot cars on the Dyno. Rarely was there sufficient gain in performance to warrant the expenditure. In most cases the modified motors produced much less power and torque than a standard version up to 110 km/h or higher revs. Admittedly these motors came on song at over 120 km/h, but in a real world on Australian roads over that is "loose your licence and car"

What about the "be diferent" factor. Gaining performance is important but people also do it(mod) to be diferent than the rest of the same kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    What about the "be diferent" factor. Gaining performance is important but people also do it(mod) to be diferent than the rest of the same kind.

I'm a firm believer in having a car that is different, I don't think I've ever owned what could be called a standard car. The closest I can think of was two cars ago a Nissan 200SX S14. It only had strut braces and a genuine leather steering wheel fitted. On my current MPS6 I have already had four different style wheels, it also has additional Mazda MPS badges on the skirts which makes it look considerably different to other MPS6. I learnt a big lesson in 1974-78 when I spent in excess of $30,000 on a HQ Holden - went extremely quick, but a pain in the backside. The heavy duty clutch and no torque at low rpm, meant clutch slip or wheelspin to get the car off the mark, overheating at idle, push rod bobbins (brass guides) lasting 1500 kilometres, premature clutch/tyre wear and about 7 mpg in the city, 12 mpg on the open road, but what a super muscle car on the open road. Paid $3000 brand new in 1974 - sold in 1979 for $7,000 - no where near the money spent on it.
    Most of the time the designers get the best compromise available, modifications only alter the compomise.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    Why on earth would you want to modify a car that is already is one of the best road cars available and has more than adequate performance for Australian roads
    +1

If I had my time again in the MPS3, I would never have modified it (ECU wise), only opting to cut out one of the mufflers for a little extra noise - and of course swapping out the suspension for some TEINS to replace the $hit stock rattling suspension.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Different?

You can do that with a hand full of bonnet stripes and butchered OZMPSclub stickers (to extract the "MPS" back when you couldnt get MPS stickers on the club site). My MPS still remains the only one in QLD with those bonnet stripes over the rear arches joining the tail lights. Got lots of positive comments about that personal touch.

In extreme cases, go some under body glow lights... Go-on Nirvski, I know you wanna do it!

Last edited by Wardski; 29-07-2009 at 10:06 PM.

How can it be quoted as more powerful if 6.1 is its absolute best 0-100, with 6.3 more consistantly, and the original (not old ) mps has a consistant 6.1, with an absolute best of 5.9? More refined yes, more powerful, not likely!

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    Bi-Xenon headlamps do not have a separate bulb as you have said...becoz you shouldnt flash HID lights...reduces life and kills the ballast.

They have one light and a shield raises up to direct the beam upwards.

As for adaptive front headlights...been on most euro cars for years.

If you watch closely at the light as someone turns the wheel...you will see the other rim of the light move slightly.

It just like auto leveling but sideways

Great review....but I still dont want one...im not converted

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Just to add, the easiest way you can differentiate between luxury and regular models based on looking at the headlamps is that the luxury has the headlight jets that pop up to clean the lens. Xenons are illegal without them, hence why they will always be there on factory cars.

Just on what you said about high beam, are you 100% sure on that, as high beams are more of a yellow than the more intense white given off by the ordinary driving lights (xenons), which basically means flashing will never be an issue.
    Last edited by mpsJOE; 31-07-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    I'm a firm believer in having a car that is different, I don't think I've ever owned what could be called a standard car. The closest I can think of was two cars ago a Nissan 200SX S14. It only had strut braces and a genuine leather steering wheel fitted. On my current MPS6 I have already had four different style wheels, it also has additional Mazda MPS badges on the skirts which makes it look considerably different to other MPS6. I learnt a big lesson in 1974-78 when I spent in excess of $30,000 on a HQ Holden - went extremely quick, but a pain in the backside. The heavy duty clutch and no torque at low rpm, meant clutch slip or wheelspin to get the car off the mark, overheating at idle, push rod bobbins (brass guides) lasting 1500 kilometres, premature clutch/tyre wear and about 7 mpg in the city, 12 mpg on the open road, but what a super muscle car on the open road. Paid $3000 brand new in 1974 - sold in 1979 for $7,000 - no where near the money spent on it.
    Most of the time the designers get the best compromise available, modifications only alter the compomise.
    Im sure by now everyone is aware that when we mod we are pretty much experimenting with a low risk of failing and possibly making a compromise either way its a lot of fun so if you have the spare money and love it then why not.

Also if we mod having in mind getting back anywhere near your money invested then we are dreaming!

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post

Different?

You can do that with a hand full of bonnet stripes and butchered OZMPSclub stickers (to extract the "MPS" back when you couldnt get MPS stickers on the club site). My MPS still remains the only one in QLD with those bonnet stripes over the rear arches joining the tail lights. Got lots of positive comments about that personal touch.

In extreme cases, go some under body glow lights... Go-on Nirvski, I know you wanna do it!

Stickers? awesome!!!!!!....where can I get those?.....most importantly where can i get them installed?

No under blody glow lights for me Wardski, not because I dont like them but because they dont suit(IMO anyways) the MPS3. I think thats more your thing Mister CX9 rims ......fully sick bro!
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

7. Default

I think thats more your thing Mister CX9 rims ......fully sick bro!
    Man, those CX-9 rims WERE fully sick mate. Thats the biz

Funny though for the first time they looked really hot in pics however when up close in the flesh they werent that hot anymore, weird.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsJOE View Post
    How can it be quoted as more powerful if 6.1 is its absolute best 0-100, with 6.3 more consistantly, and the original (not old ) mps has a consistant 6.1, with an absolute best of 5.9? More refined yes, more powerful, not likely!
    Read it again. No where did I say it was more powerful.

Gone to Volvo

Depends on how you look at it. the 2.3ltr isnt one that we should be modding while wanting longevity and warranty... Looking back at all the blown motors, this is one best left stock - bar cutting out one of the cats for a little more noise.
    i have to agree with that i believe that these things are pretty much at the limit from factory just like my 07sti (same engine as the current model) non forged bottom just leave them standard and you will be fine

11. Default

yes 100% agree the car has plenty of power goes fast enough .. too much power they had to limit 1st and 2nd gear ... just leave it be

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    yes 100% agree the car has plenty of power goes fast enough .. too much power they had to limit 1st and 2nd gear ... just leave it be
    only because it's a FWD otherwise there wouldn't be any limitation and the car would be up for even futher improvements in power.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

13. Default

yeh but at the end of the day it is FWD, not that there is anything wrong with that, and it cant handle all that power going through the front wheels ... its an awesome car just the way it is so why tinker with the power of the car work on things like handling etc to improve it in a safe way

Booooring!!!!

Its like Im at work where almost no one would get the point of modding a car or why people would choose to mod their car.

Waste of time really all the times I tried to explain them .....,

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Read it again. No where did I say it was more powerful.
    My mistake, you wrote
    I could save you a lot of reading and just say the new generation Mazda 3 MPS is bigger, stronger, faster...

Faster how?

p.s. My opinion isn't bias based on the fact I have the original model, I actually love the new mps and when the time is right I may upgrade.
    Last edited by mpsJOE; 01-08-2009 at 06:35 AM.

Faster around a track ...due to new suspension and ESP changes e.c.t

Faster to get in and out due to no keys

@Lynchy

Thankyou *takes a bow*

19. Default

Funny though for the first time they looked really hot in pics however when up close in the flesh they werent that hot anymore, weird.
    I think you're the only one in the club that thinks that way. Must be real lonely where you are right now
    Last edited by Wardski; 09-08-2009 at 06:37 PM.

I think you're the only one in the club that thinks that way. Must be real lonely where you are right now
    Not really, more like im the only one who dared to say so, a lot of people has the habit of saying "nice" when in reality they are think "hmmm nah thanks"

Very nice pic, they look awesome!

When I had a look at them in the flesh and up close they looked abit to much and despite then been only about a week on the car the rims had already chips here at there which would be another reason not to crazy on rim sizes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast