User Tag List

Thread: KMH001's winning essay to drive the next gen MPS3

Blog Entries

Default KMH001's winning essay to drive the next gen MPS3

As most of you know, about a month ago I asked for people to put their hand up if they would like an opportunity to drive the new MPS 3 in Canberra on a special Mazda track day. The catch was that you had to write an article after the event for our site.

I get heaps of interest as you can imagine and immediately I realised this was going to be a very difficult decision.

I narrowed the shortlist down and was still stuck with choosing from seven applicants. So I got them all to write a 500 word essay about their current car in the style of what they would write for the MPS article. I specifically asked for an emphasis on technical knowledge.

Again, I was presented with a very tough decision with all seven articles being REALLY good. I put it to a vote with the forum staff and special writing consultant Mrs. Armthehomeless and we decided on Mal's (kmh001) article.

A few of your were asking if you could read it, so I checked with the man and he said he was happy to. Enjoy...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mazda MPS6 by Mal (kmh001)

Mazda tantalized us with preview articles about the MPS6 for way too long. On paper it sounded very desirable, combining the good looks of the Mazda 6 with a turbocharged engine producing a stump-pulling 380 nm of torque in an all wheel drive platform with 6-speed manual gearbox. It promised to be a genuine diver’s car.

The MPS6 represented and range of new technologies for Mazda. Direct petrol injection allows for a turbo charged engine with greater efficiency, higher torque and greatly reduced turbo lag. The engine comes alive low in the rev range and maintains a flat torque curve, very much like a naturally aspirated V8 and quite an achievement for a four cylinder engine.

The AWD system was also new and uses a variable torque diff coupling instead of the usual centre differential configuration. The car is essentially full-time AWD, although the system is clever enough to turn itself off at parking speeds to avoid drive line binding.

Double wishbone front suspension with a multi-link rear end is the preferred option for a high performance chassis and the MPS doesn’t disappoint in the execution. The handling will probably exceed the ability of most drivers, but if you do over-cook it going into a corner and find yourself in an under steer condition you can use the power and the AWD to tuck the front back in, regain your composure and exit the corner at a velocity you didn’t think possible.

The best feature of the MPS6? Difficult to say, this car is full of best features. I’ve become an all wheel drive convert, no doubt about that. I also love the Bose sound system and the way the volume automatically adapts to the speed of the car. I love the styling and the all red instrument display that enables you to develop enhanced night vision for greater comfort and safety. Love the 5-star crash rating and active safety features including traction control, stability control and ABS brakes. Love the effortless push in the back from all that torque; it’s like having a V8 but without the exorbitant fuel consumption.

If I had to narrow it down to just one thing, I’d say the brakes are the best feature of the MPS. Mazda set a new benchmark with the MPS bakes. With none of the usual low-temperature performance compromises found in high performance cars, you can have it all with these brakes; rock solid stability during high speed stops and the ability to perform consistently stop after stop without fade or a long pedal, combined with excellent bite and very short stopping distances when driving around town.

The MPS6 did turn out to be a genuine driver’s car, and then some. It’s an example of engineering brilliance with a unique ability to forgo the usual compromises and to remain highly competent at both ends of the performance spectrum.

For me, MPS6 is the ultimate combination of performance, comfort, luxury and sheer driving enjoyment.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

2. Default

Awesome ... whata great machine the MPS6 is ... so proud

Blog Entries

Great read and spot on the mark!

It was an awesome read and for a moment almost made me want a 6MPS

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Thanks dug, perhaps a bit more time at the wheel of the 6 and you'll be converted?

Congrats on the winning article. I hope you really enjoy your day. I still don't want a 6. Maybe, for the wife, next.

Gratz Mal!

Nice job..., not buying it though

Im kidding , have a great day and get back to us with some good info!

We couldnt have picked up anyone better

Congrats

well done !!!!! .. enjoy !

Good Job

Congratulations Mal, great article, reading it reminds me why I love my car!

12. Default

Congratulations! All of the essays were very good, but yours was definitely the stand out for me - even if I didn't understand half of it...

Thanks everyone. Now I'm looking forward to writing a review of a real test drive in a car I haven't driven before.