User Tag List

Thread: Stereo replacement and A/c display ?

1. Default Stereo replacement and A/c display ?

Hello All,

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I have raised an old topic. (i had a look and couldn't see my exact query)

i am currently looking at some 2006 mazda 3 MPS's around the traps and will purchase one in the near future.

I am looking to replace the factory stereo with something nicer.

What is the deal with the lcd display above the stereo. When you replace the stereo with one that is not factory does it just show air cond and other information and no longer the stereo information? Is there a particular output or gadget that people use to reinstate the output on the lcd panel if i wish to have it display stereo information on the stereo and the lcd panel?

Also, i take it that there is sufficient room in the dash to install most headunits into the dash after the removal of the standard stereo?

Finally, i will be getting the sports pack model with the bose speakers, etc. are there any specific things I need to worry about with the connection to the amplifier, speakers, etc?

Any information here would be appreciated. Pitfalls, solutions, advice, etc.

Regards, Spyder.

It is discussed in here, but, not in great detail :

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/elect...ople-done.html

The LCD still works fine in my car after I removed the HU and replaced it.

As for the controls on the steering wheel, some HUs can support this, as an optional extra of course.

And the display working with A/M HU ??? I doubt it very much.

With the BOSE system, just make sure you connect all the wires correctly.
    When I find my wiring diagram file, I will post that too, unless someone else posts it for me, lol.

Instead of an aftermarket HU, why not look at a processor like an (audison bitone, Rockford 3sixty etc) you retain factory look and operation but can amplify and add sub(s).

There are more ways than one to skin a cat
    Last edited by Jmac; 17-07-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Hello All,

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I have raised an old topic. (i had a look and couldn't see my exact query)

i am currently looking at some 2006 mazda 3 MPS's around the traps and will purchase one in the near future.

I am looking to replace the factory stereo with something nicer.

What is the deal with the lcd display above the stereo. When you replace the stereo with one that is not factory does it just show air cond and other information and no longer the stereo information? Is there a particular output or gadget that people use to reinstate the output on the lcd panel if i wish to have it display stereo information on the stereo and the lcd panel?

Also, i take it that there is sufficient room in the dash to install most headunits into the dash after the removal of the standard stereo?

Finally, i will be getting the sports pack model with the bose speakers, etc. are there any specific things I need to worry about with the connection to the amplifier, speakers, etc?

Any information here would be appreciated. Pitfalls, solutions, advice, etc.

Regards, Spyder.
    very doable. the OEM display can be retained as can the bose audio and steering controls. Kanatechs make a solution for this car that allows all of the OEM gear to remain and function. if you want more info ask me.
    dash wise plenty of room to put a 2DIN screen in there. done a few now.

btw are you the Spyder I know here in brisbane?
    Chris Rogers
    Audio Express - Brisbane
    11 Gould Rd
    Herston Qld 4006
    07 3252 8858
    www.audioexpress.com.au
    Kanatechs Oz Distributor

5. Default

Thanks for the responses guys.

Audio Ex - i would like to know more about the magic black boxes around to solve the loss of information on the lcd screen. if you can forward some info to me via PM or the like it would be appreciated.

In relation to knowing you AE, i dont think i know you. I dont know to many ppl around the motoring scene.

cheers.

I'm with Jmac, stick with the standard head unit, replacing it with something else is going to look... well, replaced. Most amps these days have high level inputs and could be fairly easily tuned... or get a processor loke the rockford fosgate 360, it's like a piggyback ecu for your sound system... way more tunable than an aftermarket head unit.