User Tag List

Thread: How to make a claim against your local council for pothole damage (in the UK)

Blog Entries

Default How to make a claim against your local council for pothole damage (in the UK)

Fifth gear last week gave an interesting insight into the poor quality of roads in the UK. It's so bad there that the government puts aside £65million+ each year just to pay compensation to drivers for pot hole damage. They say it's cheaper to do that rather than to fix the holes.

Fifth Gear hit the streets to assess the damage potholes do to our cars, and more importantly, find out just what we can do about it.

I wonder if you could do this in Australia???

Click below to watch the clip:

FiveFWD - Potholes video from Fifth Gear

[Source: Five.tv]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

I tried.... Hit a huge pothole a few years ago in my ute. put two flat spots on my front and rear driverside wheels. Rang them, sent in photos of the hole and the wheels, as well as a description of what happened, where the hole was, costs of new wheels etc....

Didnt get anywhere, other then they fixed the hole a few days later....

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to make a claim against your local council for pothole damage (in the UK)

Oh bugger.

I think one of our members had an incident on the Gold Coast and got compensated. But I could be wrong.

I tried, the day I bought my SP23 I buckled 2 rims. the next morning I took photos showing the size, location depth of the pot hole and went up to council to talk to them and was told that unless I could prove to them that they had been advised that the pothole was there more than 48 hours before I would get nothing.
    Apparently in NSW once a pothole is reported they have that much time to repair it, if its not been reported then they have no liability.

Personally I think they were blowing smoke but its Council, you never win against Council

5. Default

You buckled two rims in the one hole must have been a crater

yep, u can ask Breno, was over a meter long, 40 cm wide an about 25cm deep, was HUGE

7. Default

OMFG how did you not see that to drive your car straight in it

Newsflash: Pothole engulfs SP23

I did both my front and back left side, Was on top of a crest of a hill, in the dark.... didnt stand a chance...