User Tag List

Thread: Thinking of buying an MZR DISI powered Mazda MPV (yeah, I know...) need some advice!!

1. Default Thinking of buying an MZR DISI powered Mazda MPV (yeah, I know...) need some advice!!

Hey all, Justin here from over the pond in NZ.

After you've all stopped laughing about the potential purchase of an MPV, I hope you might be able to give me some insights :-)

I need to get an MPV because, every so often, I need to shift around visiting family members from overseas (UK). Mostly though, the van will just be used by me for fun (heh heh) when I'm not commuting to work.

I'm really hoping to get some insight from you guys though because the MPV I'm looking at has had a LOT of modding done to it and I'm apprehensive about buying a car that someone else has done stuff to. Here's a list of installed mods that I've been able to identify myself -

TEIN electronic damping force control
    TEIN adjustable dampers / uprated springs
    HKS boost controller (EVC 5 or 6)
    Siecle TREC throttle controller
    large bore - turbo back? - exhaust system
    drilled / grooved brake rotors all round
    larger TMIC
    front strut brace
    induction kit
    piggy back ECU??

I'm thinking this lot would make for an entertaining 'stealth' project, disguised as the family van. The question is, am I mad? The car is up for auction locally for somewhere around $5K NZD.

Hope you offer some guidance for me, people!

Blog Entries

G'day Justin - looking at your tuning options, I think the mods that have been applied to the MPS have been done as the best way of achieving results in the absence of a flash tuning option. Flash tune options such as Cobb AP and Versatune eliminate the need for some of the items you've mentioned such as the boost controller and piggy backed ECU.

Presently I can't see Mazda MPV listed as supported by Cobbor Versatune, however Versatune does support the CX-7 and it may be worth appealing to Versatune for support.

Provided it tests healthy on compression and leakdown and you are happy to learn the ins and outs of the bespoke tuning solution that's been applied, it might be a good option for you.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.