User Tag List

Thread: Extra Slow MPS6 (Modded) - Datalogs

Default Extra Slow MPS6 (Modded) - Datalogs

Hi all, so I’m chasing why my car is making low power. I’m making only around 255hp at the wheels and 270ftlb (using Vdyno, settings are correct), modded and tuned.

Notes:
    · 06 MS6
    · Tuned for pump gas at 22psi on GTX2871r
    · Running a fresh set of NGK 6510s gapped to 0.024 (as advised by tuner)
    · Cobb AP v2
    · All maintenance work is complete, including new Damond trilogy mounts, diff mounts, timing Inc oil pump, relief valve, etc.
    · Stock motor with 180psi across all 4cyl and no boost leak.
    · Mods: TIG Throttle body and intake, CS FMIC, 3” Intake, GTX2871r, autotech HPFP internals, stock intake Manifold, Stock Exhaust manifold, catless long Dp, CS BPV (100% Resirc), Toyota Injector seals and Balanced/tested Injectors, MAC 3 Port EBC, 5 puck button SMF clutch setup
    · All parts are new
    · Believe early KR is partial throttle knock thanks to helpful input from peeps on here

Datalogs

1. https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnUbjSmuUXyQdPAWnJVJkF32gEQ

2. https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnUbjSmuUXyQdn_9WL15RvFHHFI

3. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnUbjSmuUXyQeEZY...MISgs?e=tO6jBa (MOST RECENT LOG)

Car starts and runs like normal, just underpowered and slow.

Please help me

Your short term fuel trims look way too high (shouldn't be over 8 a car with no leaks is usually zero at WOT)which means the 02 sensor is reading lean unmetered air so the ecu is adding a bunch of fuel to compensate, usually indicates a vacuum leak, which some TIG Gaskets can be known for if not fitted correctly as from memory they require a different torque spec when tightening and no rtv.

Also notice how bad the boost falls off after 6000rpm and the waste gate duty cycle goes over 90 percent trying to compensate for the boost loss. On a gtx 2867 at that wgdc it would be hitting 25psi or more.

Even when it is on 22psi the waste gate duty cycle shouldn't be anywhere near over 80 percent that for that turbo, should be more around 70 percent wgdc.

You will need to go over every hose clamp and TB and manifold bolts. did the TIG's come with instructions or procedure for tightening?
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Thanks Shane,

I thought at WOT fuel trims aren’t used?

For the TIG, they did come with instructions and followed them to the T (used the same torque wrench when timing), but they could still be an issue.

Blog Entries

I agree with shaneski but I'm very far from an expert. Someone correct me if I say something stupid pls.
    I would have expected the LTFT to be much more negative at light throttle - yours is steady -0.16% all the way through even at 12% throttle, not sure about that. I expect mine to be lower at light throttle. I watch mine jump around from -10 to 0 depending on throttle % but light throttle usually low LTFT (?) It does jump to 0 quick so maybe that doesn't mean anything. The only time I saw it positive was in +45degC ambient temperatures - really hot weather.
    STFT seem awfully high - that's a lot of fuel adjust >40%
    and 1.75deg KR at nearly 3000rpm and 69% throttle raises my eyebrow... seems....borderline (?)

For me it's a guess, I'm all theory without mechanic experience. but I think looks consistent with unmetered air entering system.

Meaning check....hose clamps on intake post MAF sensor and pre-turbo.... vacuum lines....what shaneski says. Anything after MAF that can suck in air under vaccum.

I reckon shaneski is on the money...let us know how you go?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BR1JZL View Post
    Thanks Shane,

I thought at WOT fuel trims aren’t used?

For the TIG, they did come with instructions and followed them to the T (used the same torque wrench when timing), but they could still be an issue.
    Closed vs Open loop, yes? hmmm I'm not sure. Need someone who actually knows tuning. closed/open loop conditions can be programmed - I think you can read and log closed vs open loop status with some tools, I imagine AP should be able to read that.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

At idle my stft is -0.2 and ltft is 5.8. Also for the KR is this not spool kr?

I notice my boost drops as soon as my intake valve timing goes to zero, not sure if that is normal

Both Closed and open loop tables are tuned targeting AFR's at various load points. if it's adding a heap of fuel even at closed loop it means something is off to try and match the commanded AFR'S even at partial throttle.

Both fuel trims are used at WOT, long terms in gen1's and 6's should read -0.16 (BL'S should be 0) and short terms 0 at WOT usually by 3000rpms.
    Short terms take readings constantly in microseconds why again it shows yours is adding a heap all the way through.

Your intake valve timing is going to zero where it should and that wouldn't effect boost. That's where it should start bringing in the high end of horse power from 5300rpm when things are running right.

I also notice your MAF g/s and voltages look to be way too high for a 3 inch at that power and boost . You shouldn't see close to them figures unless you're up near 400hp and 25plus psi which could be the MAf calibration not done correctly, this is also sending the injector duty cycle sky high. In saying that it could be the ecu commanding higher to make the injectors open up to add the fuel to hit the commanded AFR's which is what the STFT are indicating.

As you said it has no boost leaks which is very odd. Looking at the logs i would expect to lift the bonnet and see an intercooler hose hanging off or a hole in something big enough a small child could fit through with the amount of fuel and waste gate it is adding to try and hit fuel and boost targets. Especially the Waste gate duty cycle, the more it is trying to close the gate to make boost it is still dropping boost.

If boost side hoses have a big enough leak they then turn into a vacuum leak the higher the RPM goes.

Also notice you have a CS BPV, if you can pull that apart check that out as they had a wire mesh type thing for a spring and they were known to fail or if the piston in it is hard to move using fingers which can keep it open allowing it to recirc a heap of un metered air into the intake.
    Also take a look at injector seals, if they are leaking it can cause similar symptoms
    Last edited by shaneski; 09-09-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Blog Entries

Apologies, lost a couple of latest posts in this thread due to a server crash. Please re-post.

Sorry for the lack of update, haven’t been able to work on the car for weeks. But pulled off the intake manifold thermal gasket and believe it might have been leaking under boost. To add to my woes, the bracket for the t clamp slipped and caused a dent in my turbo intake lip. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E89A8965-1E9E-4A4A-9E66-99353AE19196.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	910.6 KB 
ID:	18131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A86773EC-B6CC-4E94-8562-3120A4D1E386.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	883.9 KB 
ID:	18132