User Tag List

Thread: VVT actuator

Default VVT actuator

Hi guys.
    anyone knows how to tell the difference between the revised vvt actuator vs the old original actuator that had problems? Is there an external difference?

Thanks

Blog Entries

My understanding is that the difference was a proper hardening process on a component that hadn't been applied properly on the original. I'm not sure there's a way to tell except age and whether a wedge has broken away from the pin housing. It could be that you might be able to tell from the patina on the metal or the degree of wear, but unfortunately I'm not sure myself as I'm a bit useless at spinning a spanner, as much as I enjoy engineering. AFAIK it's basically the same part but the metal characteristics are different.

2NV or more experienced members with tear-down and service experience might be able to shed some more light on that for you.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Federal RS-RR - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold - Hypertech tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - PC based GPS and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift.

Pretty sure the revised VVT actuator has a letter C stamped on the end after some letters