User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethanol (E10) less economical

I run 95ron most of the time, as does dad, can't really tell any performance difference and too many variables to claim fuel economy differences
    ran shell 98 once, felt like driving around with the handbrake on, and got shocking fuel economy coming back from last years merimbula cruise after filling up at woolies

supposably 98 is cleaner and better for your injectors, but it could also just be marketing trying to make you buy the more expensive fuel

I can't see any reason a mps can't run 95.
    I ran it with no problems in a modified gti-r pulsar for 3 years, and no signs of pinking or any problems on 45degree + days

Blog Entries

Due to my car being only a NA 2.0L and extreme budget cuts from the finance committee (aka the wife) I only run my car on e10 and to be honest haven't had issues with performance (what little I have) or fuel economy (between 6.58L & 8L per 100km)

My mrs puts Ron 91/E10 in the Pajero and when I drive it 'rarely 'I put 95 in it and I notice a big difference driving up hills, I don't need to push it up the hill like on E10/91..Food for thought never looked at the fuel economy.... Pfft it's only done 14,000k in 16 months equals to 206k's a week and 1200k's of that was on a trip.... wont see 91/E10 in the MPS I'd rather push it
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

The one time I put 95RON in the MPS I got severe knock retard, so always stick to 98RON now. BP Ultimate seems to work best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    The one time I put 95RON in the MPS I got severe knock retard, so always stick to 98RON now. BP Ultimate seems to work best for me.
    +1 same here, anywhere from 2 to 6 when I've used less than 98 RON

I'm not even sure if we have E10 for sale in WA, though given the thread title, isn't using Ethanol a false economy anyway, as we use so much land to grow the crops to produce the stuff!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I use Vortex 98, as my lease fuel card is with them.

Wouldnt run it on anything other than 98 though really.

7. Default

Trust me.... Don't use E10...

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    Pulled up at a servo that only offered 95 juice, I drove right out.
    I just assumed they all supplied 98!! I've only ever put 1 tank of 95 in mine since I've had it cause the servo didn't have 98 and I really needed fuel!!!

Last time I spoke to my sales guy he told me Shell Vortex98 was the best fuel to put in these days......any truth to that???
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Blog Entries

Vortex98 is the only thing I've ever used even tho its says on the fuel cap that you can use E10 - wouldnt dream of it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Trust me.... Don't use E10...
    Come on Ward give us the insider scoop
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu View Post
    Last time I spoke to my sales guy he told me Shell Vortex98 was the best fuel to put in these days......any truth to that???
    I put a thread up some time ago about what fuel people use.

I used to use BP, but now use Caltex Vortex98.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Mobil 98. Or shell 98.. what ever. I honestly think the location of where you buy the fuel is almost as important.

*Scratches head*
    not sure how to put this diplomatically.. but in some 'rougher' areas, ive filled up on "98" and I have a bucket load of knock retard. Unless you can check your fuel before it goes in ( i know I cant) you have to trust the petrol station. And well.. shady areas have shady petrol stations IMO.

I think I got away with that... maybe

Doc

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Come on Ward give us the insider scoop
    I dont need to - just dont use it.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    not sure how to put this diplomatically.. but in some 'rougher' areas, ive filled up on "98" and I have a bucket load of knock retard. Unless you can check your fuel before it goes in ( i know I cant) you have to trust the petrol station. And well.. shady areas have shady petrol stations IMO
    But this is so true. I stress cannot enough about the importance of going to servos with high turnover. BP on the M1 gold coast hwy is probably one of the "freshest", and others like BP in Manly has a high thru put and clean bowsers. Shell on Wynnum road just past the Tingalpa lights has new tanks and a station facelift - I've heard good stuff about them as well, altho the BP at Tingalpa lights has gone downhill - always broken fuel nozzles, and I had a bunch of KR with the MPS on a few occasions (ended up sticking with Manly BP instead).

As I've said before, go with where you know you've never had issues.

not only is it bad for the cars its killing mowers, whipper snippers and outboards...the ethanol in the mix is damaging rubber fuel lines, carbies etc (i put my mower in for a service just to fix a broken pull start (i do not touch e10 at all) and the mower guy is flat out repairing E10 damaged mowers thus I had a 10 day wait for repairs.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by A Pirate View Post
    not only is it bad for the cars its killing mowers, whipper snippers and outboards...the ethanol in the mix is damaging rubber fuel lines, carbies etc (i put my mower in for a service just to fix a broken pull start (i do not touch e10 at all) and the mower guy is flat out repairing E10 damaged mowers thus I had a 10 day wait for repairs.
    I do not have sympathy for those using E10 in mowers, whipper snippers and outboards - especially if E10 is not manufacturer approved and the user doesnt recognise this (eg, read the manual).

Ok, heres the low down:

E10 compliant motors must have polymer coated rubber seals, fuel lines, etc to comply with E10 regs - but it has been proven that this polymer coating doesnt last very long either (this is confidential info). E10 also contains a high fibre count, which over extended periods of use, can cause fuel starvation if the fuel filter is not changed regularily. I could go on and on about the negatives of E10 - but I would be here for a week writing this comment.. so in a nut shell - just don't use it.

Enough said - close this thread.
    Last edited by Wardski; 21-04-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    I do not have sympathy for those using E10 in mowers, whipper snippers and outboards - especially if E10 is not manufacturer approved and the user doesnt recognise this (eg, read the manual).

Ok, heres the low down:

E10 compliant motors must have polymer coated rubber seals, fuel lines, etc to comply with E10 regs - but it has been proven that this polymer coating doesnt last very long either (this is confidential info). E10 also contains a high fibre count, which over extended periods of use, can cause fuel starvation if the fuel filter is not changed regularily. I could go on and on about the negatives of E10 - but I would be here for a week writing this comment.. so in a nut shell - just don't use it.

Enough said - close this thread.

I second that ... I didn't think anyone with a MPS would even consider this option, i can understand if this was brought up on the OMC forum but the MPS No offense to Dan ...... It's good data to read about though, thanks..... Trying to stop the mrs using it in the Pajero, she uses Shell with her coupons Pfft....Everytime I put fuel in, I use 95..... Penny pitching for $5 a tank cost you more in the long run????
    Last edited by 240MPS; 21-04-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Hi all,

The pros and cons of using E10 fuel has been sufficiently discussed in this thread. Thank you to everyone for contributing your thoughts and knowledge.

If you feel you'd like to add something that differs from discussion here, then please let one of the Forum Staff know.

Thanks again everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12