User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windscreen/Dash rattle

1. Default windscreen/Dash rattle

Hi guys,

I recently bought an 08 3MPS and have had this annoying rattle come up somewhere in between where the windscreen connects to the dash. I cant pick if its from the inside or outside of the cabin but seems to happen everytime I drive on uneven surfaces.Took it to the dealer to look at it under warrenty and ofcourse I got told they couldnt replicate the noise and its in my head! so I started doing my own research and came up with a thread from the US which links this issue back to a Recall regarding a problem with the front cowling interference with the windscreen specially during cold weather. Has anyone had this problem or heard of this recall here in oz ? I'm tempted to print out the recall and take it to mazda with me !

Blog Entries

I know with the old Mazda 3s they have issues with the dash so it is probably worth getting them to check it out.

Blog Entries

One item that can rattle is the seatbelt indicator shroud above the rear view. To top it off when it rattles it sounds like it's the dashboard.

Try holding the shroud for a moment when the rattling happens. For me some foam wedged at the rear of the assembly does the trick.

I hope you find it and a fix for it - please post to the noises thread when you do.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...ng-noises.html

i had the same problem. annoying rattle. havent heard it in a while maybe the screw fell out.

Had it, told the dealer about it when I had my last service (20K), took the shroud off and put some double sided tape stuff under it... rattle gone... free of charge.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    Had it, told the dealer about it when I had my last service (20K), took the shroud off and put some double sided tape stuff under it... rattle gone... free of charge.
    Thanks for the info. I honestly cannot be bothered going back to the dealer. I will have to go back 2 or 3 times before I finally get them to firstly hear the noise then find a correct fix. I'll just do it myself. doesnt seem to be an issue. Will just remove the cowling cover and put some double sided sticky stuff with some rubber insulation under it. Does anyone know if its the tabs though which clip into the windscreen which is making the rattle or the cowling cover itself ? Thanks

Yeah, my seat belt indicator thingy rattled like crazy. Also the seat belt buckled rattled and squeked and was replaced under warranty. I hate rattles

Same issue. I took it back to the dealer and they installed some foam tape. Its less now but I think they need to do the entire cowl area to get rid of it. The dealers (Rockdale Mazda) were quite happy to look at the rattle and fix it. I'll take the US forum fix to them at the 10000km service.

Our old 04 model Mazda 3's dash cracked in the middle across from the window demister to the windscreen through where the ambient temp sensor goes.

Unhappy

I have a rattle ..which sounds like a pencil being tapped on the dash since the weekend. I washed the car..did my usual wipedown inside including the engine bay.

This thread sounds like my problem. I cannot pinpoint it but it's coming from the dash area..middleish or thereabouts.

Some explain to me where the "seatbelt indicator shroud above the rear view" is ? or post a pic ?

It's been driving me nuts !

The only noise I like to hear is the sound of the exhaust and SRI ..nothing else
    Last edited by naasif; 06-07-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

The seatbelt indicator doesn't apply to Gen IIs

I have a creak in my scuttle tray also (the black plastic shroud/cover under the windscreen wipers).

To check as to whether that's your issue, you should be able to replicate the sound by applying pressure on it with your hands, pushing towards the bonnet and letting it go so it springs back (the creak is the plastic rubbing against the windscreen)

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

No doesn't appear to be that but tapping on any black pastic bits that sit against the windscreen make a noise ! I'm getting paranoid now

I'm thinking it may be the plastic box bit that holds the review mirror to the windscreen. I'm going for a drive and see if holding this firmly against the windscreen fixes the issue.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Came back from my drive ...Bugger..I don't think it was that. Now I can't hear the noise at all.
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

I have a rattle in drivers window when its 2/3 way down. I can hear how the glass vibrates. When you open the window half way down or more it all good. Very annoying.

I've been plagued with this for over a year. Its really hard to pinpoint where it is.
    I think its near the sensor, in the center-back of the dash.

All i can say makes it disappear, is put the demister on hot for 5 minutes and its gone for the day...or summer. If the aircon is cold on the screen, or winter, the tapping squirrel comes out.

Sub bass and Vxx Commodores with drainpipe exhausts, also cause it to vibrate.

Its killing me....

hhmm...maybe the weather has something to do with the rattle..it has been very cold here in the mornings.

ill try the demister thing when it does rattle to see if that fixes it...

I've had the same problem, I ended up buying some 3mm thk foam tape from Clark Rubber to place it on pats of the dash which rattled, I found out that the foot heater vents under the dash can rattle and make noise, also the head unit and dash vent covers can make some noise, so I basically took my dash apart and put this foam tape everywhere! To be ore precise I placed it on each spot that makes contact with other plastic, so to act as a cushion in between pieces, it really worked a treat and now I hardly get any noise and that is with a TRZ rear engine mount!

The only thing that occasionally does make any noise is that seat belt indicator thing behind the mirror and the lower part of the center console where it meets the dash, another good place to use this tape is on the glove box lid and also the rear parcel shelf.

I'll see if I can get some photos up showing the foam on the glove box lid and parcel shelf, sorry but I don't have any of the foam under the dash panels, and no I don't want to pull it all apart lol
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

yeah that would be handy. Jeez..what a job taping up everything

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    One item that can rattle is the seatbelt indicator shroud above the rear view. To top it off when it rattles it sounds like it's the dashboard.

Try holding the shroud for a moment when the rattling happens. For me some foam wedged at the rear of the assembly does the trick.

I hope you find it and a fix for it - please post to the noises thread when you do.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...ng-noises.html
    I put a bit of cardboard between the windscreen and plastic
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyACT View Post
    My brand new MPS is exhibiting the same problem. If I push on the cowl it goes away for a bit but always returns. Thought that I might fix it myself, but decided to book it in at the dealer, but was reluctant given my experience on Tuesday. But rang them, the guy I have an issue with asked the rego number - when I told him, he brought up my record and then asked me to hold as he put me through to someone who can help. He mustn't be allowed to deal with me anymore. Any way when it goes in Tuesday week I will tell them what I think it is and get them to line the whole cowl. Wouldn't be suppressed if they ad my picture out he back to throw darts at... Hehe.
    Print this out and take it with you when you drop the car off at Mazda

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...37-10-2406.pdf

It's the official Mazda TSB, which they can't ignore

Dan

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Print this out and take it with you when you drop the car off at Mazda

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...37-10-2406.pdf

It's the official Mazda TSB, which they can't ignore

Dan

Nice one Dan. Always fun to show up with something like this and watch them scratch their head in confusion!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast