User Tag List

Thread: NSW Police To Stop Issuing Speeding Fines For A Week As Pay Dispute Worsens

Blog Entries

Default NSW Police To Stop Issuing Speeding Fines For A Week As Pay Dispute Worsens

POLICE IN NEW SOUTH WALES have vowed to cease issuing on-the-spot traffic fines for a week, as part of a protest against a new wage deal that they say is unfair.

As a result, motorists caught speeding and otherwise flouting road rules won’t be hit with an instant fine, but simply cautioned at the discretion of police officers. Those caught speeding excessively won’t be immediately fined either, but instead sent before the courts.

Police radar gun

The NSW Police Association says the fine-free week will last until 6pm on Tuesday, July 15, and that it hopes the sudden evaporation in revenue from fines will prompt the state government to revise its proposed wage changes. By their estimates, the week-long industrial action will cost the state coffers approximately $2 million in lost revenue.

The current pay plan put forward by the NSW Government gives police officers a 4 percent wage increase, but removes salaries for injured officers and strips them of shift, uniform, death and disability allowances.

Negotiations between the Police Association and the NSW Government have reportedly broken down, however both parties are still actively pursuing a compromise agreement. In the meantime the industrial action being taken by the police may tempt NSW drivers to drive a little faster than they otherwise would, however in the interests of road safety TMR implores those using NSW roads to be sensible and stick to the limit.

[Source: The Motor Report]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

I will not be chancing this.

same here. police could say they not working for a week but no one would believe it. no way im taking a chance .

Or they will do what they did here in the west - immediately after the fines ban our coppers had, they went on a blitz. I was one victim of the blitz.

Free for all????

if only they disputed in QLD lol

hahah if only

<RANT>If only they did a blitz picking on people who:
    - Don't indicate (or who over indicate - like on roundabouts)
    - Drive at a consistent 20km/h under the limit in the fast lane
    - Tailgate
    - Ride scooters on roads with a limit higher than 80km/h
    etc etc

I'd support that.

Have you heard about the 8 speed cameras going into this new Brisbane tunnel? Screw that, people are going to be too busy staring at their speedos rather than paying attention to what's happening on the road...See the driving abortion that happens around that Main St camera just prior to the Story Bridge and multiply it x 8...I can't believe we just roll over and take it either, ban speed cameras I reckon. Replace them with extra Police patrols and you'd get my vote.</RANT>

true that