User Tag List

Thread: Rumormill: Mazda RX-7 concept headed to Tokyo Motor Show?

Blog Entries

Default Rumormill: Mazda RX-7 concept headed to Tokyo Motor Show?

Ever since Mazda revived its Wankel rotary program in 2004 with the RX-8, the internet rumormill has constantly been abuzz with reports of a proper two-door RX-7 variant. The latest such rumor comes by way of Japanese magazine Best Car (via JDM-centric website 7Tune.com), which indicates the new sportscar has a 55% chance of making an appearance at the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show in October.

We understand that Mazda's continual development of its rotary engine technology is likely to bring a displacement boost from 1.3- to 1.6-liters for the next RX model – whatever and whenever that may be – along with the seemingly contradictory qualities of more power, cleaner emissions and lower fuel consumption.

Naturally, Best Car provides a rendering of the supposed RX-7 to go along with the speculation of an October debut. Drawing inspiration from the expressive styling language from Mazda's recent concept cars along with a hearty dose of the happy-go-lucky expression of the current Mazda3. We'll see if there's any truth to this report in, oh, about three months.

[Source: Autoblog via 7Tune.com | Image: Best Car]
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Blog Entries

Here is hoping!!!!

ill buy one.

Yummy!
    Id go one fo-sure!

Still needs a hairdryer

isnt that the same car that was being called the RX9 about a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by mpsJOE View Post
    Still needs a hairdryer
    Or two

This is my plan - When lease expires payout and keep MPS then when RX-7 is released use car allowance to get one and then I have a ride where I can fit the kids and a new beast just for me

9. Default

I heard a little rumour the new RX7 would be a quad rotor ... there would be one in our garage for sure

To think that a car of its era like the RX7 still has great lines and with the last of them in twin turbo can still match it with some of the new machinery we have today...

There is an older gent near my Mums and he has a white Mazda SP RX7 and its in great condition and still turns heads...

The problem Mazda might have is how much and will it rob sales from if then the RX8.

I want those wheels

12. Default

Mazda... Loose the Mudda Fkin Smile

The grin is there so when it blast past......

I like the

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Team Green View Post
    The grin is there so when it blast past......

I like the
    Blasts past what?.. A mazda 2? I'll grin to that

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Blasts past what?.. A mazda 2? I'll grin to that

no as its a smiling family member......but those pointy nosed awd ugly Evo things as well as those yuppie latte looking expensive subies....
    from Orange NSW

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Team Green View Post
    no as its a smiling family member......but those pointy nosed awd ugly Evo things as well as those yuppie latte looking expensive subies....
    A rotary blasting past a turbo charged boxer? I'd love to see that.... Not sure what planet you're from, but the torqueless wankle is a POS IMO.. Might be time for Mr TG to have a test drive in an RX-8 and realise the error

Price wise, I'd also guess the new RX-7 would draw up expensive price tag, far greater than the RX-8 (given the RX-7 enthuiast factor - and much like a Holden Monaro), and a baseline of around $60k (before onroads) - eg. ref: Lets not forget the RX-8 GT goes for $58k fully optioned - would be fairly reasonable. That would make those "expensive" Evos and Subies only >4-5k, and far better value (AWD and all the electronics!).
    Last edited by Wardski; 13-07-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    A rotary blasting past a turbo charged boxer? I'd love to see that.... Not sure what planet you're from, but the torqueless wankle is a POS IMO.. Might be time for Mr TG to have a test drive in an RX-8 and realise the error

Price wise, I'd also guess the new RX-7 would be more expensive than the RX-8 (given the RX-7 enthuiast factor - and much like a Holden Monaro), and a price tag of around $60k (before onroads) - eg. ref: RX-8 GT goes for $58k fully optioned - would be fairly reasonable. That would make those "expensive" Evos and Subies only >4-5k, and far better value (AWD and all the electronics!).
    Yes I have driven a RX8 and yes I agree that the current RX8 would benefit from having a turbo installed as its overweight and under powered....

The fact that I raised was that the previous or last model RX7 with twin turbos would still be able to match it with the new breeds....

and Ric Shaw didn't have a problem matching it with the awd in his ageing RX7 in the Showroom Series till it was ruled out because of its age..

With all the rumour mills around and not knowing what Mazda may do it would be hard to think that a turbo in the larger capacity rotary wouldn't be thought of....so then the only advantage you guys would have would be the AWD...

Price would be a factor that Mazda would have to think of as thats why I this want come to fruition as the $$$$ would kill it....but then you say it would be around the same price as an Evo and WRX and what you don't you think Mazda would load it up with trinkets

and of course a 1.3 non forced induction against a 2.5 turbo would have issues keeping up......but then horses for courses....

I'm not doubting that your Sti would be a rocket but Wardski I personally dont like them.......as you don't like the smiley face...

Thats the good thing about choices Wardski we can all say are peace and be honest and hopefully there is no malice lost...

None this way...
    from Orange NSW

18. Default

All makes for good conversation

Mazda has disapointed us in the past (eg. new MPS3 without trick diff, 2.5ltr MZR & more expensive), so what actually happens is anyones guess

Thats it mate.....harmless banty...

An awd MPS3 would have been the go as it would have been a lighter alternative to a MPS6

imo. i think that thing upstairs looks ugly as. Maybe a rear shot would do it some justice. but from the front..No Thanks.