User Tag List

Thread: Gear stick jolt while changing 1st to 2nd gears

Default Gear stick jolt while changing 1st to 2nd gears

Hello guys

I have a 2010 Mazda MPS gen 2 with 50k kms on the clock.

When changing gears from 1st to 2nd under normal driving conditions as soon as I start the shift from 1st down to 2nd there is a harsh jolting movement through the gearstick like its been wound up then suddenly released, it pops from 1st to 2nd rather than smoothly engaging apart from that the gears change fine and I cant fault it, I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this also?

Sorry I know this description isn't a lot to go on hope someone can shed some light for me thanks.

Rob

Blog Entries

1st to second is always a bit "heavy" - I do recall occaisions that felt a bit like what you describe, and I if memory serves it's most commonly encountered when shifting as quickly as possible, and possibly comes from having clutch partly engaged - i.e. having not gotten the clutch to disengage enough - I think over time I've become more precise with the timing so it doesn't happen much these days - I've about 380,000K experience driving both BK and BL so I've had plenty of time with the shifter and clutch to fine tune technique.

I do think I know what you mean. I think I got it sometimes second to third mostly. Once you're moving there's hardly ever any reason to shift down to first. I imagine that it occurs if there is still engine torque being applied through the drivetrain as you pull it out of gear. Elastic compression in the gearbox and engine mounts etc get released suddenly hence the feeling of "wound up and released"

I would suggest some adjustment to clutch and shift technique will avoid it.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Thanks for the reply, yes I definitely experience this shift feeling when trying to change gear as quick as possible good to know it’s most likely normal on gen 2’s