User Tag List

Thread: Strange noise? Puzzling everyone

1. Unhappy Strange noise? Puzzling everyone

Hi everyone,

have a 2009 mps 3 with 96000km on it. Has just started making this strange knocking noise under acceleration. It is just a single hollow knock which sounds like it’s coming from right hand side of the engine if sitting in driver seat. Neutral or in gear doesn’t change anything, if you accelerate or rev in neutral at about 2500-3000rpm just one solid knock sound, motor still revs out smoothly but the sound is worrying. Air con on and off makes no difference, no visible probs with engine mounts. On idle sometimes can hear it faintly but very rare. Motor doesn’t cut power or run rough when noise is heard, haven’t driven it hard or past 3000rpm since hearing it. Have a mate that works for Mazda as a mechanic and is completely baffled by it, showed it to local Mazda dealer and also had no clue. No alerts from computer etc. no mods at all completely standard, opened the air box today and knock seems louder like that. Seems like when looking at engine it comes from under intercooler but I am not certain.
    many help would be appreciated as we have just purchased a new Mazda and this was a trade in which we are still driving until late June for changeover. Have a video clip of it but not sure if it can be uploaded here
    Cheers

Blog Entries

My first thought is to loosen and retighten the rear engine mount, following the correct bolt tightening order, and after that, maybe pull the right hand side mount and inspect closely. Usually it spits oil everywhere when it fails, it has a hydraulic reservoir in it. If the video is on certain services it can be added to the thread using the editor icon second from the right. Supported video services are HuluYouTube (Long)YouTube (Short)VimeoDailymotionMetacafeGooglefacebookFacebook Shares - I've only tested youtube.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Federal RS-RR - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold - Hypertech tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - PC based GPS and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    My first thought is to loosen and retighten the rear engine mount, following the correct bolt tightening order, and after that, maybe pull the right hand side mount and inspect closely. Usually it spits oil everywhere when it fails, it has a hydraulic reservoir in it. If the video is on certain services it can be added to the thread using the editor icon second from the right. Supported video services are HuluYouTube (Long)YouTube (Short)VimeoDailymotionMetacafeGooglefacebookFacebook Shares - I've only tested youtube.
    Thanks mate will check again. Here’s the clip for anyone interested

https://youtu.be/wDIWfGSkGYk
    Last edited by Nexus; 28-05-2019 at 10:41 AM.