User Tag List

Thread: Full Engine rebuild - VIC

1. Unhappy Full Engine rebuild - VIC

Hello Guys, New to the forum should have introduced my self first but i really want to get to the point.
    i am a previous mps owner and a future one hopefully.

i want to rebuild the engine and the prices i have been quoted mostly are ridiculous and more pricey than a good condition mazda 3 mps BK, got quoted somewhere in the $6000-$8000 mark

now i understand there is some work involved in this and i don't want gold plated pistons either, but i am sure someone on here knows someone or/and is a mechanic that can give me a realistic quote or send me to the right place.

i do not want to go crazy, i just want the motor to be rebuilt to standard specs.

can anyone please direct me somewhere? located in melbourne.

or if i have to settle for a good priced good condition motor then i will be happy too any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Matt

There is no such thing as a cheap engine build. gasket kits,VVT,oil pump, water pump etc and various bit's and pieces all add up, just the parts alone to rebuild a short block using OEM bits, rods pistons, you are looking at around $4500 and that's not including new injectors which are around another $1000 to add on. You also have to consider getting the head reconditioned, probably another $1500.None of the above includes labour or machining. So it is up near $6000 before any machining or assembly is done.

To build it's a commitment you make to keep the car long term, and i also wouldn't be using OEM rods or pistons they are too prone to failure.I had my engine built using forged bits around 5 years ago by 2NV Industries who is an MPS engine guru in NSW running near 500whp and it's still flawless. At the time our dollar was higher than USA so it came out rather well priced. these days with our dollar and Mazda's mark up on prices there is no way around having to pay some big dollars for rebuilding the engine. I spent the money on mine knowing i have no plans on selling it.

I have put some screen shots from Edge Autosports of the items and prices for just the bottom end and doesn't even include a new clutch kit. These are in USA dollars. Mazda will charge you in Aus dollars which will be close to $5000 and in some cases some parts still work out cheaper to get parts from the USA even with our crap dollar and postage included than what Mazda Aus charge. Also have to take into account what condition the block is in. If they need to be bored out for larger pistons it's a risk as the bores tend to oval out when hot, then sleeves are needed, so there is a couple of more thousand.

Many people think it's just a matter of slapping rods and pistons in and off you go, that's the cheap parts, as you can see in the list where it all adds up and i may have also forgotten a few things like turbo to dump and exhaust mani bolts and nuts etc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge1.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	18024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge2.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	18025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge3.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	18026
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

3. Default

shaneski, only if those mechanics were bothered enough to answer my question like you have then it would have been understandable. Thank you so much it makes a lot of sense now, but 5 years on 500whp.... it is definitely worth spending the money.