User Tag List

Thread: Catch Can Install - 3 MPS, '10

1. Default Catch Can Install - 3 MPS, '10

Decided to install a catch can after the engine build was complete, currently running 22 psi. Went for a cheaper ebay option (knock it if you will), instead of the more popular Damond/Corksport options available.

I used a universal 300ml aluminium catch can off ebay, which was about $50, and included 16mm fitting and a small vent filter. The vent filter was not used, and instead was blocked off with the supplied plug as using this without a check valve would result in a massive boost/vacuum leak.

I started by mounting the catch can to one of the original unused M6 welded nuts located on the chassis rail adjacent to the transmission.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

2. Default

I then located the 5/8" hose running from the PCV valve to the intake manifold. It was a tight squeeze, but managed to remove the intake manifold end using a small set of vice grips. I left the PCV end connected. I then inserted a 5/8"-5/8" hose coupler into some 5/8" hose (approx. 1m length. This was then connected and hose clamped to the original hose that was disconnected from the intake manifold.

3. Default

Another 1m length of 5/8" hose was clamped to the original barb on the intake manifold and run to the upper catch can port. This completed the loop to catch oil vapour from the pcv to the intake manifold. Future plans are to install another one of these catch cans between the valve cover and pre-turbo intake. Currently just venting to atmosphere through a small pod filter.

The cans just part of the puzzle, the check valve in line and stopping boost entering the crankcase is more important. The can just catches the oil, make sure its baffled and your fine.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    The cans just part of the puzzle, the check valve in line and stopping boost entering the crankcase is more important. The can just catches the oil, make sure its baffled and your fine.
    That's true, I should really add a check valve close to the manifold as an extra precautionary against boost entering the crankcase. Currently the catch can gets pressurized under boost.