User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 Suspension and drive train queries.

1. Default MPS 6 Suspension and drive train queries.

Hi folks, proud new owner of an MPS 6 here with 125k on the clock. I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'm absolutely stoked to finally have one.

I had a series 2 RX 7 back in the day and an MX 6 not too long ago and to be honest my heart was set on getting an RX 8 but I'm glad I chose the MPS now for the sake of practicality and lower maintenance/fuel/ oil costs etc etc. I can actually enjoy this car every day and not just on the weekends!

So far I've installed eibach springs, new spark plugs, changed all the drive train fluids, vacuumed all the bees from the intercooler, engine and airbox.. You know... The usual things. What's the deal with bees and these cars!?

Today I pulled the headlights out and replaced the lenses with some $50 ebay ones. Those clips fooled me into thinking it would be an easy job but I found out the hard way that they are indeed glued on and it was quite horrible.... Oh well at least I now have a heat gun to add to the collection.

Anyway I've ordered a set of Bilstein B8's and was wondering if they include upper, rubber mounts that better suit aftermarket springs? If not can I purchase them separately? The guy from Bilstein world had no idea what I was talking about, but I'm not happy with the way the eibach springs sit on stock mounts.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but if the top of the spring hasn't been ground flat like stock ones, then shouldn't the mount be the same shape to suit? If that makes sense?

The other main issue I have is that the gearbox and/or drive train are quite noisy when cold. There seems to be allot of play between all the gears/moving parts but after a few minutes it all feels tight and stops making noise. Is this normal?

It was especially noticeable when I first put penrite full syn 75w - 85 into the gearbox...

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

G'day, I'm more experienced with the 3 myself, but yes there tends to be some drivetrain noise when cold, especially with lots of steering lock you may notice diff whine.

re: sprint mounts I'm not sure as I've always gone for coil over rather than lowered springs. I would imagine that not having the spring sit snugly would add additional stresses - how much of a problem that is I don't know.
    https://edgeautosport.com/search.php...Chassis&page=1
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply. I've spent hours searching this forum and havent found any mention of the standard upper mount being a problem. It still seams strange to me though.

Anyway I forgot to mention two other annoying noises coming from the rear of the car. One is a constant rubbing/grinding noise that I'm convinced is one of the bearings. The other is a chirping noise that comes and goes but seems to be getting more frequent.

I've tried lifting the handbrake one click to disable the rear diff and the noise remains so I guess it's not diff related. Hopefully it's also the bearing.

Any advice on these noises would be appreciated but I'll get my mechanic to check it out when he installs the rear shocks. I'll be doing the fronts myself but the rears look a little too tricky for my liking.

I'm starting to get the feeling that it's going to take quite a bit of dedication keeping this car running perfectly. Oh well I'm up for it. After all I kept the ol' RX 7 running well until it had 350k on the clock!

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've not heard of it being a problem either, so I think you'd be fine but I understand the concern. No harm comes from mechanical sympathy - anytime I'm planning a mod, I'm thinking about the engineering impacts and how to do it best.
    The constant rub/grind might well be wheel bearings. Chirping noises can be suspension bushings, especially if you have superpro type urethane bushings with silicon grease. My suspension guy told me to expect it when he installed it - once they get some water on them they tend to squeak and there's not much you can do except maybe dose them with more silicon grease. He was right.

They'd be the things I'd look for first given your description of the noises.

I haven't found my three's to be excessive on maintenance, and I'd be surprised if it requires as much attention as rotaries, but it has been rewarding. I've a BK three at 290000K at present, and hoping to see it through to 500000.

Quote Originally Posted by Crom View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've spent hours searching this forum and havent found any mention of the standard upper mount being a problem. It still seams strange to me though.

Anyway I forgot to mention two other annoying noises coming from the rear of the car. One is a constant rubbing/grinding noise that I'm convinced is one of the bearings. The other is a chirping noise that comes and goes but seems to be getting more frequent.

I've tried lifting the handbrake one click to disable the rear diff and the noise remains so I guess it's not diff related. Hopefully it's also the bearing.

Any advice on these noises would be appreciated but I'll get my mechanic to check it out when he installs the rear shocks. I'll be doing the fronts myself but the rears look a little too tricky for my liking.

I'm starting to get the feeling that it's going to take quite a bit of dedication keeping this car running perfectly. Oh well I'm up for it. After all I kept the ol' RX 7 running well until it had 350k on the clock!
    PS sorry last post got moderated - not sure why at the moment, was waiting for me to approve it. possibly a new user thing I'll keep an eye out for that happening again.
    Last edited by Nexus; 10-07-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: typo
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.