User Tag List

Thread: strange chirping noise

Default strange chirping noise

From time to time. I get this noise coming from somewhere. which sounds exactly like a cricket, the insect. It happens, as far as i know, randomly, and i was just wondering if anybody has any clue as to what might it might be.

clean the insects out of your car.

haha. when i say exactly like crickets, i mean mechanical crickets, Its clearly a mechanical noise. but still like a cricket. weird.

I had a similar noise, my exhaust manifold needed tightening, noticed it more when the car was turning off.

yep. What joe said. Id put my money on the exhaust donut seal.

exhaust donut seal? is this an easy thing to get looked at? or does it involve removing heaps of stuff?

Don't think it's anything major, when I took my car for a service I pointed out that I could hear a chirping noise, so the head mechanic jumped in the car and told me to start it, and as soon as he heard it he said "yep no worries, turn it off". I asked what it was and he said it was something that needed tightening. It was gone when I picked the car up, so I'm guessing it was an easy fix because they made no excuses, as they usually do.

yea i had same noise on shut down.. told service center and they replaced the donut seal under warranty... i noticed the other day it might have returned.. but may have just been my ears as it hasn't happened again !!

Yeh mines returned, noticed it yesterday and today, maybe the cold weather.

Hey Joe. are you the Joe that went on a cruise ages ago with some of us from the OMC club? we started off at bella vista shops or something like that and then stopped at a KFC? but 1/2 of the group got lost on the way.

Hey tone,

Dont you have a full TBE ?, in that case it wouldnt be the stock doughnut gasket everyone is referring to, maybe check your swaybar bushes are well greased, mine sometimes squeak, actually come to think of it, my 1st gen CPE mount squeaked like buggery when the bush in it had failed.

Can you pinpoint the sound a little better? it might help narrow things down a bit.

yep full TBE. It sounds like it is coming from the front right of the car. I thought it might of been the ecu going haywire or something.but i probably would have noticed that. Would an aftermarket ECU make noises like this if it was maybe playing up?

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Hey Joe. are you the Joe that went on a cruise ages ago with some of us from the OMC club? we started off at bella vista shops or something like that and then stopped at a KFC? but 1/2 of the group got lost on the way.
    Umm, is that the cruise that we ended up in the city somewhere, through the m5 tunnel or ED tunnel? If so, yeh I was there, it's been a while though I vaguely remember.

Nah it was out west somewhere. i think we ended up at KFC near the richmond air base or something like that. I was talking to you when we stopped because we were following a sp23 down some crazy foggy road which was going nowhere, then we found out that dude wasnt part of the cruise. haha

na wasnt me, i dont recall ever going to richmond for a cruise

16. Default

the problem sounds like two metal surfaces rubbing for just under a second on shut down of the car? plus it also occurs on specific speed humps in car parks, or accerating then letting off in first gear? only happens after driving the car at operating temperature for a while?

problem is the exhaust gasket.

my guess is that because the engine moves around quite a bit when switching off (ever looked at how much it moves when you switch the engine off?) or when accelerating then letting off abrutly, that it rubs against the gasket making that noise.

its not a problem that happens right away, i got it around 11,000km and a dealer said that they couldnt reproduce the issue (maybe they need their ears checked) so no fix.

apparently its not detrimental, but talking to some people with other cars, they say that it may cause a tiny drop in boost.

the solution, change the gasket and replace to a stiffer engine mount, or get a cpe 75 duro or equivalent.

i got the cpe 75 duro and it hasnt squeeked since

ben

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    the problem sounds like two metal surfaces rubbing for just under a second on shut down of the car? plus it also occurs on specific speed humps in car parks, or accerating then letting off in first gear? only happens after driving the car at operating temperature for a while?

problem is the exhaust gasket.

my guess is that because the engine moves around quite a bit when switching off (ever looked at how much it moves when you switch the engine off?) or when accelerating then letting off abrutly, that it rubs against the gasket making that noise.

its not a problem that happens right away, i got it around 11,000km and a dealer said that they couldnt reproduce the issue (maybe they need their ears checked) so no fix.

apparently its not detrimental, but talking to some people with other cars, they say that it may cause a tiny drop in boost.

the solution, change the gasket and replace to a stiffer engine mount, or get a cpe 75 duro or equivalent.

i got the cpe 75 duro and it hasnt squeeked since

ben
    Hey Ben. It tends to only happen. when slowing down, sometimes when i apply brakes, sometimes just when i let the car coast to slow down. It cant be the brakes as i just put new brakes and the pads are 200km old, and i was having the issue prior to the new stuff going in. Putting in a boost guage on the weekend so will check if boost drops when it occurs as you said.(if its noticeable enough)

Doesn't seem to be hindering performance or anything.

18. Default

hey tone,

the tiny drop in boost only occurs after a long period of time

i drove around with that issue for over 50,000km and the scan gauge always read the same amount of maximum pressure of 29.6psi - approximately 15psi after taking into account atmospheric pressure

ben

19. Default

The chirping sound could be engine mounts. I had a similar noise in mine on start-up and shut down, and also at idle some times back when it had 8000km on the clock. Mazda tech applied non-rubber corrosive grease to the mount. Didnt squeek after that, and up to 22,000km when I sold it.

Mind you, not long after the grease applied, I had a new TBE installed