User Tag List

Thread: What is it and what does it do?

1. Default What is it and what does it do?

Hey guys,

was as playing around under the car on the weekend looking at sway bar bushings and found this ol’ fella. What is it and what’s meant to be attached to it. Mine literally has nothing attached to it.
    Sorry pics are 90deg out, uploaded from iphone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6942D75-4FDE-4B4F-8BD7-290468C1AB7B.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	938.3 KB 
ID:	17943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	825B135A-665F-4858-8506-FEC37313708E.jpeg 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	17944  

2. Default

Well, that's a bit of a mystery....
    Is it a support device, but an emergency support device so if something bounces down/drops it catches/supports it?

Seems very odd to have a "floating" piece like that with no connection.

Blog Entries

I was thinking it may be there to stop things bouncing up off the road into that area.

4. Default fsd

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    I was thinking it may be there to stop things bouncing up off the road into that area.
    Yeah, I was thinking it was to stop debris hitting the steering rack ect... but yeah cant find any info.
    You would think if that's its purpose then maybe it would be wider which is why I thought it was a bracket for something, Oh well its gone now.

It's to catch the drivers side axle if it breaks, similar to a tail shaft loop on a RWD, other wise it hits the ground and bounces back up and tears the shit out of everything around it, including engine sump etc, also stops the axle digging into the ground if it breaks at high speed and possibly flipping the car.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    It's to catch the drivers side axle if it breaks, similar to a tail shaft loop on a RWD, other wise it hits the ground and bounces back up and tears the shit out of everything around it, including engine sump etc, also stops the axle digging into the ground if it breaks at high speed and possibly flipping the car.
    Annnnndddd its back in!

Thanks, Only really thought about foreign invasion of the DS, not an inside job...ahaha