User Tag List

Thread: 2006 MPS with XEDE Chip (Chiptorque)

1. Default 2006 MPS with XEDE Chip (Chiptorque)

2006 MPS with XEDE Chip (Chiptorque)

(Posted elsewhere but seems to be a dead folder that I can’t find again)

Hey Guys

I recently purchased a 06 MPS with an alleged "Chip"...well let's be honest there's something there i just don't know what.
    Here is a list of what mods I DO know of:

Turbo back 3" Exhaust
    Koni Adjustable shocks

That's it.

The previous owner advertised the car with a "chip" but at sale he really didn't know anything about the car other than "it was faster than other MPS' he drove before purchasing it".

I went through the car and found the log books and other Doc's and found a laminated Dyno sheet from ChipTorque listing the car at 181kw with 3"Exhaust and XEDE tune.

I have since contacted ChipTorque and confirmed the car "had" and XEDE piggyback ECU installed but cant tell me what tune it had or anything much else.

My Question is (I know we finally got there), Where is it? I can see the factory ECU next to the battery box but where would the XEDE be? is it wired in somewhere close to the factory unit or in a floor well somewhere ( had a quick look didn't notice when had kick panels off, but wasn't looking for that at the time)

If anyone has any idea's, id love to hear them.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Hi and Welcome!

The XEDE was a popular piggy back ECU before flash tuning took over. It's an "inteceptor" ECU, meaning it intercept the signals to and from sensors and ECU and presents the ECU with what it expects to see while applying variations - basically making the XEDE responsible for tune while fooling the ECU into behaving as though everything is stock.

I can't recall exactly how they were commonly mounted - Chiptorque may be the best source of info on that, however I don't think they were especially far from the stock ECU - I don't recall cables being hugely long. You'd be able to trace the cables from the OEM ECU to the xede, I expect.

Behind the glovebox or possibly even in the glovebox. I'm sorry can't recall if it would be fitted in the engine bay itself; it may be.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Blog Entries

It's possible the XEDE is no longer installed and has been replaced by a flash tune before it came into your posession. I think you'd be able to tell by the plugs on the factory ECU.

4. Default

*UPDATE*

I called Steve at Chiptorque prior to this post and gave him the info I found on the dyno sheet (file# and rego) and he was able to look up what was done but the info recorded in 2008 was limited to, XEDE install (wired in) and Custom tune. He was unable to help with the location but was firm it should be close to the factory unit. I had a quick look and could only find a few wires that had been spliced into nothing (without peeling off all the tape) would indicate a piggyback was fitted.
    I have had some issues lately of boost spike around 21psi and settling at 18psi other times peaks 18psi and drops to 15psi. this is within the same driving session in various gears, hence started looking into the issues that the ECU might be having.
    It has still got the factory elec boost controller and Recirc valve to I would like to know what the map is set to before swapping out components.

*BIGGER UPDATE*
    Have Found the Piggyback ECY, for anyone reading this in the future mine was located inside the battery box in the engine bay.