User Tag List

Thread: CV joint

Default CV joint

Hi Guys

Quick question for those in the know.
    I need to replace my drivers side CV joint. Has been clicking away for a while now and the mechanic tells me it needs to be done.

Do I have to replace to whole right side drive shaft or is ther another option.
    Cheers

Cam

2. Default

Generally, changing front wheel drive CV's can be a pain in the ass to do at home. if you are tackling this yourself do the full driveshaft replacement, might cost you a bit more but wont cost you an entire weekend with massive pry bars and not enough hands and your tongue in the right direction.
    If its a shop, it might be a case of the expensive man hours involved replacing a CV for a small price in parts or less hours but more expensive part in replacing the Drive shaft. could end up being a very similar price but at least you know both ends of the shaft have new joints.

As a side note i have only done this once before (I have had years working around cars but not my profession, I'm a Aviation Mech so i can swing a spanner) and it was on an old honda but the principle should be the same.

Thanks Perifhery for the heads up. It won't be a job I can do myself.
    I'm pretty sure my mechanic wants to source this from a wrecker and install. I'm thinking of buying a level 2 from edgeautosport in the u.s. Ultimately my decision but thanks for your view, much appreciated.