User Tag List

Thread: Need Help Buying a Used MPS6

1. Default Need Help Buying a Used MPS6

Hey all,
    Im currently looking at a 2005 MPS with 145,000 on the clock. Car also comes with full service history

The seller has also put an upgraded catback system for the car (from castle hill exhaust) and an upgraded cold air intake. However, I have heard that having these modifications require a tune, and am certain that the seller has not tuned the car at all. Is this car still safe to buy? I have heard that before you add any modifications to the MPS6, that you must atleast have an Access Port.

Blog Entries

Hi a tune is advisable but not an absolute requirement. If you do not change the MAF housing, OR the MAF housing remains the same diameter (and thus doesn't change the MAF readings), then the OEM tune will probably handle it. There's a variety of tuning solutions, the access port is not the only option.

Both of the vehicles in my signature run safely on the OEM tune. Both retain the OEM MAF housing.

I'd suggest getting the vehicle checked out by someone familiar with the MPS models. The CAI may or may not change the MAF housing diameter,
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Blog Entries

Thought I should add that major mods like turbo upgrades do require a tune, but CAI and exhaust - it's a good idea but not always.