User Tag List

Thread: Coolant temps too low

1. Default Coolant temps too low

Hi all. New member so excuse me if i missed this in another thread.
    Have there been any common problems with tstats in the past that are known problems. My mps6 wich has had a rebuilt engine close to 5k ago runs cold all the time except at idle in traffic were it gets too around 75c. But as soon as i get some airflow to the rad it rolls back to around 45-50c. I would think this is too low for normal driving and probably riches up the fuel mix too much as im getting around 14l/100 or close to 400k a tank. I suspect a open tstat but am i wrong could this be something else. No cel so far.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome.
    Failed thermostats resulting in unusually low temps does seem to be a fairly common issue. The severity can vary a lot - for me I had this issue in my BK 3 at >160000K - it would show normal temperature on guage most of the time but in ambient temperatures below 18degC it would fail to get up to normal temperature. In stop/start town driving it'd be barefly noticable but as soon as hit the highway temperature would drop well below normal.

3. Default

Are there aftermarket tstats that are better suited to the job or is oem the way to go. As i have noticed there seems to be 2 sorts of tstat available

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcl View Post
    Are there aftermarket tstats that are better suited to the job or is oem the way to go. As i have noticed there seems to be 2 sorts of tstat available

Hi - I'm not sure. I'm thinking that unless you have a built engine with specific cooling requirements I'd be inclined to stick with OEM. Someone else might be able to add more info.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

OE is fine, they do tend to jam up which prevents the by-pass circuit operating correctly which modulates the temp control of the engine, when this happens rather than the coolant recirculating through the engine it is directed through the radiator all the time which is why you notice long warm up periods and temp drops when airflow to radiator is increased.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    OE is fine, they do tend to jam up which prevents the by-pass circuit operating correctly which modulates the temp control of the engine, when this happens rather than the coolant recirculating through the engine it is directed through the radiator all the time which is why you notice long warm up periods and temp drops when airflow to radiator is increased.
    Your right . Cheap fix in the end anyway. Probably a good idea to flush the engine any way after a new build.