User Tag List

Thread: New in Qld

Default New in Qld

Hi All,
    Ive recently picked up a late 2009 series II MPS. I'm on my 3rd mazda 3 now. The first two were just Neo Hatchbacks, the first (2009) on was retired with 275k on the clock and the second (2013) has near 150k on it. I bought the MPS as a toy or weekender just to have some fun.

So I'm on the upgrade path now and intend to do the rear mount first, then a Hypertech for a start.

tax time will see a new Down pipe with Hi flow cat and new intake and a Cobb.

Like all car owners I'll say that will be it,(we all know thats lies)

the only thing I dont like so far is the torque restriction on 1st and 2nd gears and the sudden fall on power up high in the rev range. Hopefully the Cobb tuner will take care of that.

thats all.

thanks!!
    Last edited by Cazarak; 23-05-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Welcome! ...and congrats! Regarding the torque limitations, a hypertech or cobb OTS tune will sort that out. I've tried the HT on my 2007BK and Cobb my 2013BL MPS. I've been deliberately conservative with my mods - for example I elected to keep the OEM airbox instead of going CAI (cold air) or SRI (short ram) intakes, and looked for gains elsewhere that wouldn't push the reliability envelope. Some probably think I'm mad. I got 250,000K from my BK's first engine and am happy with the gains; they match what a lot of people get from a CAI and some exhaust work. The chassis currently pushing 270,000K on it's second engine (30,000K).

Rear mount is very highly recommended first mod. There's a few to choose from; I'd suggest the CP-E stage 2 engine mount because that's what I use . Hypertech can lift the torque limits in the low gears (I don't think it removes them altogether but they are as good as not there in my opinion.) The BL is by many reports a bit of a "problem child" to modify on the OEM tune, and it's generally recommended to get a HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) before going far to avoid potential fueling issues. My opinion is that this is likely to be largely due to different intakes - Mass air flow sensor housings - not sitting well with the OEM tune. But that's just my opinion and I could very definately be wrong. In any case a HPFP is commonly considered a necessary precaution to avoid unwanted lean conditions leading to your block developing holes and venting your conrods to the atmosphere: It's a strong enough recommendation that I would be reluctant to do an intake without one.

The Cobb tunes for instance set a high pressure fuel pump as a requirement for any tune above a small gain benchmark.

Enjoy and take care!
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Thanks for the Welcome Nexus.

I'm still smiling every time I drive at the moment, I'm very happy with my purchase so far.
    I'd like to change a few things but I have to be mindfull of budget.
    Thanks for the pump upgrade, I'll look into this a bit more.

I'll start chasing a hypertech when I can post in the for sale forum, I would love to pick up a second hand one ( I really just want to rid the 1st / 2nd gear restriction.)
    I have to admit I'm pretty happy with the power as is, the more K's I put on the car the more I like it.

I'm only around the corner from you and work in Toowoomba 1 day a week....

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Good to hear! I've actually relocated to Geelong to Victoria a few months ago; obviously I need to update my profile! I'm still up that way occasionally but obviously it's a long way from home now...
    Flagstone creek road is an enjoyable alternative to the range crossing if you find you've an extra 20min to burn next time you are traveling Toowoomba way....