User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which to buy - Mazda 6 MPS or Audi Quattro turbo

1. Default Which to buy - Mazda 6 MPS or Audi Quattro turbo

Hi all,

As you can see this is my first post on this site. I have been thinking of buying a new (second hand) car and I have loved WRX's since 1993 when they first come out. Now that I possibly have the chance of buying one, I dont think I want one now and have been looking at other cars.

This brings me to the question! I really like the Mazda 6 MPS and the Audi A4 Quattro. Both vehicles being all wheel drive and turbo. The Mazda can obviously only be 2005 - 2007, however the Audi would probably be around a 2003 model. I like both of these cars as they are not a WRX's and the Subaru's are everywhere. And, you can still surprise others when in a the Mazda or Audi.

I gather there wont be someone on here that has owned both of these cars, but you never know. If you have knowledge and/or experience with comparing both of these cars, I would love you to tell me your thoughts.

I am also going to post this on the Audi site and see what there thoughts are, but I am expecting a little bias from each brand of vehicle.

Thanks for any feedback, Kev.

Link to Audi site http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20996
    Last edited by Camo; 01-07-2009 at 06:01 PM.

100% based on looks havet not driven either id go the MPS 6 ....

Which packs more punch ....what mod options are avalible for the audi?

3. Default

Kev, Welcome

I dont have experience in both the cars but like you I loved WRX's to pieces and was completely shattered when Subi made them so ugly by the time it came to buy one I didnt want one. Thats what started my search for another Turbo AWD car and led me to the love of my life the MPS6.

Check out these threads on here to see why people that have brought the 6 have done so

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/off-t...your-ride.html

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...u-buy-mps.html

If I was looking at a replacement for my MPS6 in the future, which sadly will happen. I will be looking towards an Audi as well, they make damn fine, sophisticated stylish cars.

Either way you go you would be happy with either. Other 6 owneres on here who have thought about and actually replaced their MPS6 might give u some other cars to think about too.

Hope you go for the 6 and we see more of you
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Well i dont own either....

But i have driven a 6MPS and an 2007 Audi A4 Quattro.

Mazda 6MPS is better to me...becoz it will be fresher.

The older Audi A4, im not a fan off.

The 2007 model that I have driven is great inside and out....and beats the 6MPS..

But its also more expensive and more refined to drive <boring>

The Mazda 6MPS is very fun to drive and has more punch than both the 2003 and 2007 model Audi.

The power deliver on both is the difference....the Audi is smooth and gradual.

The Mazda is brutal ...its either on boost or off.

Personally....im bias.

I would take the later model 6MPS as the are newer and no longer made...so collectors.

Which ever car you choose....your more than welcome to reside here and cruise with others.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Hi Kev, I did this comparison a while back when I was looking at a replacement for the MPS. It was down to the A4 quattro and the R36 Passat.

I like that the audi has a longitudinal engine and loads of room to work around the engine bay. It also has a healthy after market for all the usual gear, down pipes, FMIC, tune, suspension etc.

But I ended up deciding to keep the MPS for a couple of reasons.

1. it was not going to be easy to squeeze enough performance from the A4. Apparently a stock MPS6 will lap a race track within half a second of an RS4, so the task of getting an A4 to a similar level of performance looked a bit daunting.

2. When you look under the skin the features the MPS has over the Audi start to add up. Things like LSD in the rear, liquid cooled transfer case, the best OEM brakes in the world etc etc.

The MPS is not without its faults and I have no bias against the Audi, in fact I'd like to own an Audi. But the unavoidable conclusion is that if you exclude boy racer types like the EVO/STI, there's probably nothing under $150k that will offer the same level of performance and luxury as an MPS6 with a couple of basic bolt-on mods.
    Last edited by kmh001; 01-07-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Gone to Volvo

6. Default

Firstly, thank you for the welcome wishes and from what I read in the reply's you all seem like a level headed bunch of guys/gals. I can say this as I am in my early 40's

Lynchy - Mods for Audi are similar to all cars. There is an ECU upgrade that I believe puts it up to about 170kw at the motor.

Blackbetty - Thanks for the links and I had read through the MPS 6 one a month ago or so and makes me lean towards the MPS over the Audi.

Duglet - As I mentioned I am in my 40's and dont have to have the fastest car on the road. But with that said, I am also not saying I wouldn't like a quicker car. My last performance car (sold 2 years ago) was a Cressida with a 1JZ-GTE (2.5L, twin turbo) and 5 speed manual. I did all the conversion myself and if you know Cressidas, they didn't come out in OZ with a manual at all. Had just under 180kw at the wheels.

Kmh001 - I take on board what you are saying about track time, but I dont think I will be doing that at all. But I get your point in comparing it to an RS4, thats bloody fast. I'm not sure about the Audi rear diff, cant comment.

Also pointed out was that the Audi is a North/South engine configuration, whilst the Mazda is East/West. Maybe it's just in my head, but it seems easier for the power to flow through the North/South setup and straight down the tail shaft to the rear wheels.

Also, from what I read it sounds like the Mazda is more a front wheel drive and the back kicks in when required (please correct me if this is wrong). I have seen video of the Audi on snow and basically all 4 wheels are trying to drive it.

Anyway, again thanks for making me welcomed and the quick responses. I guess I will have to have a drive of both and see what suits me and go from there. If anyone else has input, please let me know.

Cheers, Kevin
    Last edited by Camo; 01-07-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camo View Post
    Anyway, again thanks for making me welcomed and the quick responses. I guess I will have to have a drive of both and see what suits me and go from there.

Cheers, Kevin
    Its the best way of doing it...buy what you feel comfortable with.

We can only give our opinions....but they may not be the same as yours.

Im sure a few members from here in your area would let you test a 6MPS

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I have to say I love the Audi A4. But I drive MPS. If you shop around you will get a used MPS6 with stacks of warranty on it for mid $30's with 35,000Ks

The Audi A4Q will get you a tired 2002/3 with close to or above 100,000ks.

OK, so the Audi ECU can be flashed - a positive, but everything about Audi is expensive, spare parts for older European cars are expenssive and rare - the carcould be off the road for a while waiting for gear to arrive.

The MPS on the other hand is cheap to run and parts are available from JP with relative ease.

The USA are doing some awesome modding work, and the local Aus stuff is getting there too - KMH001 is working on TMIC, SRI and catchcan and I/2XS are working on camber inducing bushes and replacement bushes for our front ends.

AND..the most important thing....the Mazda looks better with its buldging nose!

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Jeez...2 other posts whilst I was writing my essay!
    Faster than swallowtails Passat...and it has a letterbox

Blog Entries

I am also looking at a second car and the Audi and Liberty is what I have been looking at...for what you get for your dollar the Aldi does not stack up against the Japanese cars.

10. Default

Yeh where do u live Kev, You can always take my car for a drive, everyone has been in her

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    I am also looking at a second car and the Audi and Liberty is what I have been looking at...for what you get for your dollar the Aldi does not stack up against the Japanese cars.

Like the Aldi joke. Re what you get for your money, and I know there will obviously be variances in this but I am looking at 18-25K for an 03 Audi and 30-35k for a 05-06 Mazda. This being both cars in good condition low kilometre. Thats a possible $10,000 cheaper Aldi and I could do a few mods for that.

Blackberry - In the Sydney area (Liverpool), but thanks for the offer.

Kev

@blackberry

Happy Motoring
    duglet

13. Default

Dug

Blog Entries

I am in Sydney, if you can wait a week I will be back and we can go for a spin?

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I did not even realise I wrote Aldi!

Also, from what I read it sounds like the Mazda is more a front wheel drive and the back kicks in when required (please correct me if this is wrong). I have seen video of the Audi on snow and basically all 4 wheels are trying to drive it.
    The MPS6 is always driving all four wheels with two exceptions: if you apply the handbrake the rear diff turns off, and it's also clever enough to turn the rear diff off at low speed/low throttle situations such as when parking to reduce drive line binding.

Here's a video that shows how it works:the voltage displayed roughly correlates with the amount of torque being transferred to the rear wheels up to a maximum of about 5.5v.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOWGq1B8C84&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOWGq1B8C84&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I've driven the MPS in snow and it was awesome, probably the best fun I've ever had in the car. We're planning an awd-only day trip to the snow soon so we can all have some fun, if you get yourself into a car in time you're welcome to join us.
    Last edited by kmh001; 01-07-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Gone to Volvo

16. Default

Heres a link to some MPS6 snow vids for you

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...html#post27621

Im the link queen

Been looking at your link to the Audi thread and they seem to be more leaning towards you become part of the group over here too ... Definately take shin up on his offer, his car is hot hot hot
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

I'd go the MPS6 as I have now driven both and I find the Mazda has more linear power and its a real sleeper

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    @blackberry
    Blackbetty - I'm sorry about the slip and it was not intentional.

kmh001 - I had already seen that re the voltage. Wonder why its not a 12V thing seeing the cars obviously are.

Shinslinger66 - Would love the chance if you can take me for a spin in one, but only if you have time. Where abouts are you.

And the snow videos, the first MPS is used as a snow plow and love the driving on the second one. I think you guys are trying to tell me something.

Ta, Kev

kmh001 - I had already seen that re the voltage. Wonder why its not a 12V thing seeing the cars obviously are.
    The diff solenoid is an on/off device. In order to achieve a variable torque distribution the 4wd control unit turns the solenoid on and off many times per second, so that proportionally it's either more on or more off in a variable kind of way.

Sort of like alternating current in your power point at home, but not really.

The solenoid actually runs at 12 volts, but I wasn't using the sine wave function of the multimeter so what it was showing was kind of like an average voltage, or a ratio of how many times per second the current was off rather than on.

Hope that all makes sense.

Gone to Volvo

Blog Entries

Shinslinger66 - Would love the chance if you can take me for a spin in one, but only if you have time. Where abouts are you.

Ta, Kev
    I go to Guildford frequently, so just around the corner from you...Will be returning to Sydney and Guildford the evening of the 19th, so can do after that.

cheers,
    peter
    Quote:
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast