User Tag List

Thread: Gear oils.....

Default Gear oils.....

Hi everyone. I have a couple of types of gear oil here that have spent no more than 3 weeks in my box.
    Neither of them made me completely happy with the shift from 1st to 2nd when it was cold. Im fussy.

If anyone is interested, let me know.....
    First up is the penrite 75-90....not overly expensive..... $40ish new from memory.
    Second up (and by far the most expensive) is the Motorcraft oil that everyone on the mazdaspeed forum raves about. This stuff cost me $136 AU from the states.....
    If youre due for a change, this is being wasted sitting here indefinitely.....
    Throw me an offer and see where it goes.
    Id like to add that due to the penrite bottles design, IF anyone wants the penrite oil, ill need to decant it for you 'cos Im keeping the bottle! ;-p
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dog; 12-01-2017 at 07:49 PM.

2. Default

Hey Dog,
    out of interest....what oil did you end up settling on? I put the Penrith in mine a couple weeks ago, and also a little unhappy with its performance on cold shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Mut77 View Post
    Hey Dog,
    out of interest....what oil did you end up settling on? I put the Penrith in mine a couple weeks ago, and also a little unhappy with its performance on cold shift.
    Hey Mut....Im currently running the castrol VMX 80W.
    Whilst its not as smooth as it was before I dumped the factory oil, its better than the predecessors.
    I guess you could say Ive learnt to live with it. Cold its not great but better when warmed up.

4. Default

Yep same...
    Do you think it makes a difference topping up to the fill hole or just using the 2.5 litre bottle (regardless of oil brand)?
    I just put the 2.5 in. Now wondering whether to top up before testing another brand oil...
    DP

Quote Originally Posted by Mut77 View Post
    Yep same...
    Do you think it makes a difference topping up to the fill hole or just using the 2.5 litre bottle (regardless of oil brand)?
    I just put the 2.5 in. Now wondering whether to top up before testing another brand oil...
    DP
    I hadnt thought of doing that honestly. At the end of the day there are plenty here who have just done the 2.5 and dont have issues. I cant imagine an extra 100ml or so making any difference.
    Just my opinion.
    If you try it and notice a difference it might just be the breakthrough so many have been searching for....