User Tag List

Thread: Shocks/Coilovers for Gen 1 - Level up from Stock

1. Default Shocks/Coilovers for Gen 1 - Level up from Stock

Hi Guys,

My shocks all round have had it and was after something a level up from stock that wont give a stiff/bumpy ride.

Can anyone suggest any coilovers or shock/spring combo that will give a very comfortable ride and maybe a level up from stock or there abouts.

thanks

Max

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov View Post
    Hi Guys,

My shocks all round have had it and was after something a level up from stock that wont give a stiff/bumpy ride.

Can anyone suggest any coilovers or shock/spring combo that will give a very comfortable ride and maybe a level up from stock or there abouts.

thanks

Max
    Just wondering if youre wanting to go lower Max and if so how much? Often the best solution is bilstein/koni etc shock with aftermarket springs if a coil over option is likely to be too stiff.
    Unfortunately a quality shock is also often more expensive when paired with lowered coils than some coil overs as I recently found..
    Had Bilstein B8's and Kings superlows been the right price, Id have gone for them in a heartbeat. There are progressive springs for the mps/mazdaspeed such as eibach, but the price of that setup was too prohibitive for me.
    Ive ended up with XYZ coilovers but (although my shocks are also leaking), I simply havent had time to fit them, and I still need to address the issue of negative camber with the height I wish to run.

Hopefully some guys who have tried a few different setups can chime in with some hands on experience....
    Last edited by Dog; 01-01-2017 at 10:23 PM.

3. Default

I have Bilstein B12's. Fitted years ago, they drop the ride height a little, but not much. Still very legal. They're a combination package of Bilstein and Eibach, probably B8's. I had to import from Germany though, was a tedious process.

The ride quality is only a touch stiffer than stock, and to be honest, I can't tell much in the way of handling. Because the drop is small (25mm Front? + 15mm rear?) the negative camber isn't an issue. Even wear all around.

The B8's + King Lows/Superlows are a very good combination, small drop (?more than B12's), easy to source, proven package.

*edit* - Just checked online, B12's are a B8 shock and Eibach Spring. Sadly, will cost a fortune unless you know a cheap way to import from Germany (I did it when Aussie $ was high), better sourcing parts locally.
    Last edited by Dr. Teeth; 02-01-2017 at 06:14 AM.
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.

Budget: Bilstein + Eibachs
    Non-Budget: Bilstein B12 coilovers
    Lots of money: KW V1 (to V3)

5. Default

Cool...looks like bilstein and eibach are the combo to go for.

What about yellow speed off ebay?

YELLOW-SPEED RACING COILOVERS Mazda 3 BK (inc MPS) 04-09 yellowspeed coil over | eBay

Why no one consider the MCA coil? Otherwise i had s B8 with stock spring. Heaps improved on handling imo. However that combo actually raise the car a tiny bit, which matches to what i wanted with stock looks.

Cool...looks like bilstein and eibach are the combo to go for.

What about yellow speed off ebay?

YELLOW-SPEED RACING COILOVERS Mazda 3 BK (inc MPS) 04-09 yellowspeed coil over | eBay
    Max Im pretty sure but for peace of mind email them for the spring rates......I believe theyre a lot stiffer.
    If you wish to do something like what was mentioned by Lovecolt - (keeping the stock springs and running the bilstein B8 shocks), I have a stock set of mps 3 gen1 springs that you could send off to have the height reset etc.
    I was quoted $80 per pair of springs to reset them. I guess it depends on your budget, just putting it out there....
    Progressive springs are where its at for best compromise re ride/handling, but if theyre not as low as you want........
    Last edited by Dog; 02-01-2017 at 08:09 PM.

8. Default

Hey mate,

I wouldnt mind going a touch lower would look great.
    Will take a look at those bilsteins b8s. See what I can get a set 4 for.

Just stumbled upon this Max.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14834080762620.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	17857  

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Just stumbled upon this Max.....
    I probably wouldn't go there myself. These are a Thai made product if I remember correctly. Do a search for reviews of their brakes, turned me off the company real quick...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MPS00M View Post
    I probably wouldn't go there myself. These are a Thai made product if I remember correctly. Do a search for reviews of their brakes, turned me off the company real quick...

Fair call....I know nothing about them, just stumbled upon them on fb.....thought Id put it out there.....

That's exactly how I came across the brakes... good ol fb targeted advertising lmao

+1 on the bilsteins. With suspension, seems you get what you pay for and all of the engineering is really in the shocks. Bilstein seem to be among the best for quality, reliability and consistency at a reasonable price point. Pair them with some decent springs for a good daily driver.

The notion of 'coilovers are better' seems like marketing bs to me. I'd take a quality shock/spring combo over cheap and nasty coilovers any day. Coilovers really only make sense if you race, and then you are spending serious $$$ for quality stuff rather than $1000 junk with some wanky and unreliable knobs to fiddle with.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    +1 on the bilsteins. With suspension, seems you get what you pay for and all of the engineering is really in the shocks. Bilstein seem to be among the best for quality, reliability and consistency at a reasonable price point. Pair them with some decent springs for a good daily driver.

The notion of 'coilovers are better' seems like marketing bs to me. I'd take a quality shock/spring combo over cheap and nasty coilovers any day. Coilovers really only make sense if you race, and then you are spending serious $$$ for quality stuff rather than $1000 junk with some wanky and unreliable knobs to fiddle with.

I agree with this 100% Coilovers are pretty pointless unless you're constantly modifying the ride height/damper settings which most people don't do once they find a setting they like.

15. Default

So the bilztein b8 + eilback pro kit will cost around $1900 for the set plus install.

Can they be found cheaper anywhere?

Max

So the bilztein b8 + eilback pro kit will cost around $1900 for the set plus install.

Can they be found cheaper anywhere?

Max
    Max Im waiting for a mob on ebay to get back to me mate. Looks like the set of 4 shocks is somewhere around $1100
    Springs im not sure....

Gsl rallysport used to do buy 3 get one free on the bilsteins, but I don't think they do anymore Pedders sell them (I think they are b8). Maybe they will have a sale or do a decent price for supply and fitting.
    You can also look around for second hand springs. Think I paid about $200 for mine.

18. Default

I saw an old thread from GSL selling bilstein b8s and eibach pro shocks for around $1600 not bad.

Will ring a few places for prices.