User Tag List

Thread: Turbo upgrades

Default Turbo upgrades

Hi guys, I recently bought a 2005 Mazda 6 MPS. I suspect that the turbo seals are on the way out and I'm looking at upgrading as the car has a few KM's and is still running the original turbo.

I'm looking for a direct bolt on If that's possible. Where do I start?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

Cheers, Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Willo View Post
    Hi guys, I recently bought a 2005 Mazda 6 MPS. I suspect that the turbo seals are on the way out and I'm looking at upgrading as the car has a few KM's and is still running the original turbo.

I'm looking for a direct bolt on If that's possible. Where do I start?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

Cheers, Ian
    Hello Willo,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get a few different answers here and direct bolt on may require a little modification...

My personal favorite is the garrett gtx2867r. Other favored turbos are bnr s1 - s4 and the corksport turbo

Good luck with it mate

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MPS00M View Post
    Hello Willo,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get a few different answers here and direct bolt on may require a little modification...

My personal favorite is the garrett gtx2867r. Other favored turbos are bnr s1 - s4 and the corksport turbo

Good luck with it mate

Thanks so much for the info MPS00M, I really appreciate it. I will do a lot of research before I decide which one to buy. A friend of mine suggested a GT3071R?? What do you think about that particular one?

It'll work, give you a better top end but won't spool as quick as stock. Others here who've actually done the mods will be able to provide better feed back on how they perform. I think @SarcasticOne might've had one

CorkSport is a direct bolt on. Just needs a tune, 3 Bar MAP sensor and it benefits from a 3 Port boost controller and 3" dump pipe. That's what I am running on my CX7.

gtx3071 is about as big as I'd go on a stock block. I'd still prefer the 2867. if you're strapped for funds, get a K04 or BNRs1. If you want a nice little bolt on upgrade get a corksport/bnrs3/gtx2867. if you want to go big, get a bnrs4/3071 or something from borg or PTE.

Bear in mind, that with any upgrade to the turbo, you'll want to upgrade intake, dump (and rest of exhaust if you've got the $$), map sensor, boost controller, and tune (Accessport, Hypertech, Mazedit, others. Accessport is most popular). Not all of these upgrades are a necessity (you could run stock intake and stock dump for example) but they have to be removed to replace the turbo anyway, so you'll likely not pay installation costs, and there's not much point getting a bigger turbo and then making it asthmatic with the stock intake.

@Howard's advice is good, he was one of the main guys who helped me when I had to make the same decision as you.
    2XS 3" intake | 3 Bar MAP Sensor | GTX2867r | 2XS 3" twin dump pipe | 3 port Grimmspeed EBCS | Cobb AP V2 | Purple Drank Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by MPS00M View Post
    It'll work, give you a better top end but won't spool as quick as stock. Others here who've actually done the mods will be able to provide better feed back on how they perform. I think @SarcasticOne might've had one

Jeez I'm slack at responding, at least I've got the excuse of Christmas!

I did have a 3071, and it made meaningful power from 2500-3k before full grunt from 3200-3500.

Was a decent turbo, but if you're looking for a more responsive turbo for pottering around town, go a S3/2867. That was the one thing I really missed, easy in gear burst of grunt from just under 3k.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

8. Default

With the S3, is a 3" intake bare minimum? If im running a 2.5" cobb sri with hpfp and stratified tune, what else would I need bare minimum to run smoothly?

Thanks for the awesome info Guys, I appreciate it. I think I'll go with 2867, seems like it would suit my driving style a lot more with the lower spool. But I'll definitely do a 3"dump and exhaust. It already has a nice intake setup on it so that should be fine. And I have the accessport so i'll be able to sort a tune with that from what I understand.

What are thoughts on the bnr s4 against the s3? Saw on msf that spool on the s4 was just as quick as the s3 but with more top end capacity? Have been considering going the s4 on stock block for the time being, get the engine built eventually and ramp up the power lol.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fully6mps View Post
    What are thoughts on the bnr s4 against the s3? Saw on msf that spool on the s4 was just as quick as the s3 but with more top end capacity? Have been considering going the s4 on stock block for the time being, get the engine built eventually and ramp up the power lol.
    If you have a look on mazdaspeed forums or just google s3 vs s4, most of the guys over there say get the 4, makes power easier than S3 and spool isnt too bad. Id get the 4.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fully6mps View Post
    BNR S4, One heck of a turbo! | Mazdaspeeds.org, The New Era in Mazdaspeed, CX-7 & Ecoboost Forums!

Anyone who has a BNR S1 and is interested in fitting a GTX2860 core into it I have one for sale which I bought to do exactly this. The BNR used the sleeve core. My intention was to make lag virtually non existent.