User Tag List

Thread: Wet Cell Battery Acid Spill.

Default Wet Cell Battery Acid Spill.

A cautionary tale. I posted this up on faceballs but I think its important to keep useful information here so people can find it later.

So I suffered the consequences of letting a workshop who really should know better replace my battery for me. A place that knows exactly how my car gets driven thinking that an absolute POS battery was going to be good enough.

A day at Wakefield Park and next minute battery acid is all over my engine bay, the paintwork is completely ****ed and the acid had started melting my fuse box. Seriously the damn fuse box was turning into a black liquid goopy mess.

Luckily I was able to pull everything apart, strip the paint back and respray it. The repair actually looks pretty damn good and the color match was very good for an off the shelf product. But **** knows whether this shit is gonna corrode further in the future. Acid got in every little gap you can imagine and cleaning it up was not easy.

****en povo spec Lion piece of shit. I bought an Optima that hopefully handles stuff a bit better. A lot of guys have bagged the Odyssey one for being unreliable and causing electrical glitches so I just went for the option that should be as tough and reliable as they get.

The funny thing is I raced with the OEM battery for years and never had any issues at all. So there are some traditional batteries out there that are ok, but I am never getting a wet cell battery again.

Fair call mate. What a drama. Nice enough finish that most would never notice the difference.
    The 'off the shelf' paint you referred to.......what brand did you use if you dont mind sharing please?

wow what an absolute nighhtmare! :O

Good choice on battery. I work for a government department and we fit these to our vehicles, very reliable. not cheap though!

Yea I need something that won't spill so the Optima fits that criteria. The fact they are otherwise top of the line batteries is nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Fair call mate. What a drama. Nice enough finish that most would never notice the difference.
    The 'off the shelf' paint you referred to.......what brand did you use if you dont mind sharing please?
    Dupli-Color primer and paint. They have pretty much any color off the shelf at Supercheap Auto.

Dupli-Color Touch-Up Paint - Celestial Blue, 150g - Supercheap Auto

Lucky for me the engine bay doesn't have any clear coat so matching the paint was made a lot easier. If you wanted to touch up the exterior then making the clearcoat match seamlessly would be a bit of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Dupli-Color primer and paint. They have pretty much any color off the shelf at Supercheap Auto.

Dupli-Color Touch-Up Paint - Celestial Blue, 150g - Supercheap Auto

Lucky for me the engine bay doesn't have any clear coat so matching the paint was made a lot easier. If you wanted to touch up the exterior then making the clearcoat match seamlessly would be a bit of a challenge.
    Cheers Reedy. Ive got a couple of stone chips so just after a touch up pen. Might compare the duplicolor to the mazda nail polish bottles price wise and go from there....

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Cheers Reedy. Ive got a couple of stone chips so just after a touch up pen. Might compare the duplicolor to the mazda nail polish bottles price wise and go from there....
    They do touch up pens as well for like $10.

Shit man, looks nasty. Good repair though! Did the workshop take any responsibility, or are you just going to avoid them in future?

Optima are great batteries. I've had a yellow top for years which has never missed a beat.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. Default

Oh shit! That's nasty!

Here's hoping they get a serve from you about their cost-cutting. Given how you drive your car, I'm surprised you hadn't fitted a dry-cell battery before.

I have always used optimas in my cars, sure they are twice the cost but the upside apart from what been discussed in this thread, if you drive on rough roads you wont break cell plates which results in non starting the next day....