User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Market Engine Mounts for MPS 3 Gen 1

1. Default After Market Engine Mounts for MPS 3 Gen 1

Hi Guys,

Considering a CPE engine mount from MPS Garage as my driver side mount has worn out, question is how much extra cabin vibration am I going to feel with the CPE if any compared to standard engine mount? 75 Rating. Does an aftermarket mount in practice improve power to the ground through less engine bay vibration? Is that the idea?

thanks

Max

Do you have other mounts? REM is pretty mild, even with the harshest mounts. Once you get to side mounts it gets much worse. Drivers side is the worst apparently (I did both sides at once and a different brand so can't comment on the cpe drivers mount directly).

Mounts will help reduce engine rocking, which will help get power down.

My advice though - buy from someone else. Many (including myself) have had bad experiences with that shop and they are banned from here for dishonesty. If you want something local, you can try wolf racing who seem good or if you are ok with international then autosport in the us are great.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

3. Default

Thaks for thw advice.....what about a full set of shocks and springs. Whats a decent set to get above stock that gives good performance but too expensive.

Maz

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov View Post
    Thaks for thw advice.....what about a full set of shocks and springs. Whats a decent set to get above stock that gives good performance but too expensive.

Maz
    I drive an '06, got Bilstein B12's (basically a spring/shock combo) that rides pretty nice, not too hard compared to some, drops ride height from stock 15mm front, 25mm rear (I think from memory).
    King Springs and Bilstein shocks are a great combo that many people run/did run on here with a great amount of appreciation. B8's with King Lows/Superlows. Check them out.
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.

+1 on the bilsteins, they are awesome, either spring/shock combo or coilovers. I have a set of b8s with eibach springs which are a bit softer (non-linear travel) while the kings are more aggressive I think (linear) but very well suited to the shocks. I've had good luck with gsl rallysport in the past for suspension parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Do you have other mounts? REM is pretty mild, even with the harshest mounts. Once you get to side mounts it gets much worse. Drivers side is the worst apparently (I did both sides at once and a different brand so can't comment on the cpe drivers mount directly).

Mounts will help reduce engine rocking, which will help get power down.

My advice though - buy from someone else. Many (including myself) have had bad experiences with that shop and they are banned from here for dishonesty. If you want something local, you can try wolf racing who seem good or if you are ok with international then autosport in the us are great.

this ^

i'd really struggle to suggest side engine mounts (been there, done that, took them off), stick with mazda OEM ones, with aftermarket rear.
    The mount you're talking about will increase noise and vibrations quite a bit (3-4 times what a rear alone will do).

if you just enjoy your MPS for being a nice car with a decent amount of grunt, get another OEM side mount!
    if you're planning on going a bit bonkers with power, or racing the car, then consider it.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

7. Default

Sarcastic one thats the answer I wanted thankyou!

So oem sides and maybe rear after market. Will that rear after market increase vibes or noise at all?

Max

Quote Originally Posted by kasparov View Post
    Sarcastic one thats the answer I wanted thankyou!

So oem sides and maybe rear after market. Will that rear after market increase vibes or noise at all?

Max
    Rear mount increases it a little, i've had mine in so long that I couldn't really tell you how much difference it makes...
    Noise wise, a DP will make a bigger difference to noise than a soft/sane rear engine mount will, if you go solid dog bone, well, that's your choice
    From memory, in terms of vibrations you get a little... it's certainly crankier under 2k rpm (which you shouldn't really be in anyways), and on cold winters days there is a bit of vibrations/harshness as the car & air con gets up to temp, but once it's there, it's barely noticeable!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I ran a cpe rem on my 6 for ages then sold it for a jbr trilogy, had no issues with the cpe, vibes eventually reduced after a few thousand kms to the point it was really only when the ac was on that the vibes were noticeable. May be different on the 3. In terms of side mounts I have recently removed the drivers side and can safely say I do not miss the amount of noise and vibration that one mount introduced, so only have transmission mount and rem and think the transmission whine is easy to live with in comparison!

Good luck with your decision

Also, unless you can physically pick up the mount from mps garage I support the above re giving them a miss. Edge autosport in the us are great to deal with
    AP V3 (Rayd tuned) / CP-E CAI / CP-E TIP / JBR Trilogy / CS Front Strut Brace / JBR SSP / JBR Shift Knob / JBR shifter bushings / Eibach Pro-Kit / Bilstein B8's / SURE Juggernaught / SURE Dreadnaught / Whiteline RSB / Toyo Proxes T1R 235/40/18 / Evo X BBS rims / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV / CP-E DP / CP-E TMIC / Autotech internals / Superpro bushings

Future mods:
    BT, DM OCC, EGR delete, Braided clutch/brake lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, DBA T3 rotors....

10. Default

If you want a cheaper solution, check out the CorkSport mount bushes. I just had a set put in my gen 1 and the difference is huge. Torque steer is reduced by a good 60% and gear shifts are smoother as well. There is some additional vibration through the steering wheel, but it's not that noticeable after a day or so of driving. Easy to install as well. I can't say from experience, as J had my mechanic put them in when he did the VVT actuator, but he said they are a peice of cake.

11. Default

[QUOTE=Crashcourse;305694]If you want a cheaper solution, check out the CorkSport mount bushes. I just had a set put in my gen 1 and the difference is huge. Torque steer is reduced by a good 60% and gear shifts are smoother as well. There is some additional vibration through the steering wheel, but it's not that noticeable after a day or so of driving. Easy to install as well. I can't say from experience, as J had my mechanic put them in when he did the VVT actuator, but he said they are

Where did you get the bushes from? And did you put them on all your mounts? Are your mounts oem?

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Crashcourse View Post
    If you want a cheaper solution, check out the CorkSport mount bushes. I just had a set put in my gen 1 and the difference is huge. Torque steer is reduced by a good 60% and gear shifts are smoother as well. There is some additional vibration through the steering wheel, but it's not that noticeable after a day or so of driving. Easy to install as well. I can't say from experience, as J had my mechanic put them in when he did the VVT actuator, but he said they are a peice of cake.
    Which mounts are the inserts made for? Im likely to need the rear mount done with my mods coming up.
    If anyone has pros and cons re the corksport inserts versus a complete aftermarket rear mount, im very interested.
    Also advice re which brands offer the least vibes would be good.....
    Last edited by Dog; 04-12-2016 at 07:47 PM.

There is a literal sh!t tonne of posts on mounts around, esp on MSF with just as many opinions.

I was running a Corksport rear insert for a few years, years ago and it did a pretty good job of keeping hop under control with minimal NVH.

Back in late 2012 I installed JBR 70 duro sides and rear, then a few months later went to a 88 duro rear mount. It ain't pretty from a NVH perspective, not nice for passengers or just putting around. Handles great though - car feels really solid and much more fun to drive. I've done maybe 2000km since then and it's still noisy as hell.

About to kick off returning the car to stock (probably with a Corksport rear if I've still got it) so maybe the JBR 70 sides and 88 rear will be posted here for sale soon.
    Last edited by 3ONBOOST; 05-12-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    '06 3 MPS - Cosmic Blue
    '13 CX5 GT - Soul Red

I've had a CP-e stage 1 for a few years now. Very happy with it. I'm actually looking at a stage 2 but only for longevity reasons and they're said to be better again for nvh which is pretty much non existent except if at idle with aircon on. It's only when it kicks in that you notice the difference...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3ONBOOST View Post
    There is a literal sh!t tonne of posts on mounts around, esp on MSF with just as many opinions.

I was running a Corksport rear insert for a few years, years ago and it did a pretty good job of keeping hop under control with minimal NVH.

Back in late 2012 I installed JBR 70 duro sides and rear, then a few months later went to a 88 duro rear mount. It ain't pretty from a NVH perspective, not nice for passengers or just putting around. Handles great though - car feels really solid and much more fun to drive. I've done maybe 2000km since then and it's still noisy as hell.

About to kick off returning the car to stock (probably with a Corksport rear if I've still got it) so maybe the JBR 70 sides and 88 rear will be posted here for sale soon.
    Firstly thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Your perspective is a good one having run a few different ones for direct comparison.....
    If you decide to let go of the corksport inserts rather than the others you have run; Ill snap them up. Mine is a daily so I need to keep it all reasonable if you know where Im coming from?

TBH, for the effort and cost of pulling the stock REM, getting a proper REM is worth the effort over the corksport inserts...

there is also a chance your stock mount is f*cked (likely if more than 30,000km and you've hit boost more than twice) at which point the inserts aren't quite as effective as you'd like.

getting a CPE Stage 1 70 duro, CPE stage 2 or corksport full mount will likely be your best bets.

I'm not sure how a JBR goes by itself (only had the trilogy) and I'll never suggest SURE, but i've also seen conflicting reports of matt damond mounts...

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    TBH, for the effort and cost of pulling the stock REM, getting a proper REM is worth the effort over the corksport inserts...

there is also a chance your stock mount is f*cked (likely if more than 30,000km and you've hit boost more than twice) at which point the inserts aren't quite as effective as you'd like.

getting a CPE Stage 1 70 duro, CPE stage 2 or corksport full mount will likely be your best bets.

I'm not sure how a JBR goes by itself (only had the trilogy) and I'll never suggest SURE, but i've also seen conflicting reports of matt damond mounts...
    Thankyou for your advice there.....given that ive not had the privelage of riding in a car with different mounts, and mine is a daily, I really appreciate all the feedback.
    Is the 70 duro robust enough or is it honestly just a compromise?

18. Default

I have the stage 1 CPE 75 duro, i can't feel any vibes with it..It's very capable of holding power.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Thankyou for your advice there.....given that ive not had the privelage of riding in a car with different mounts, and mine is a daily, I really appreciate all the feedback.
    Is the 70 duro robust enough or is it honestly just a compromise?
    It's fine

Unless you're launching car on a daily basis, constantly banging gears and generally being hard on the car, it'll hold up just fine

Put in a James Barone Racing rear engine mount (the large red one, 88 Duro, I think) but it was too harsh.
    Its good quality though, but not what I want as it transmitted too much vibration into the cabin. It would be good if you tracked the car as it improved the launch and even the gear change.
    So I got a Ford Focus Electric rem from ebay USA, and its softer than the the JBR but a lot more user friendly for a daily driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast