User Tag List

Thread: MPS - 10years on....

Default MPS - 10years on....

went out looking at new cars last night with the missus. we are expecting our our first child.
    she owns a 3 SP23 and is fine with it for capsule/car seat and pram.

i had this idea to trade/sell in my MPS6 to get her a SP25 GT/CX3/CX5 and i would use her SP23 for commuting purposes.
    we ruled out the CX3/5 one being too small , the other not to much bigger than the 3

walked away thinking...a dealer would offer peanuts for a trade in. if i was to get peanuts for my MPS6...id want my car to be run to the ground, but its far from that.

am now weighing up the cost of keeping/maintaining the MPS6 as my daily drive... so far the only "faults" ive had from it have been from wear and tear (clutch relaated, diff mounts/engine mounts) and its just clocked over 170K Kms

i wonder what parts i should start hoarding...or if i can find room to buy another used MPS6 just in case...

anyone else in the same boat?

I'd just keep it well maintained with regular oil changes and inspections. I'm at a similar point with my Gen 1 MPS3, also at 170K, it's getting a turbo rebuild soon and had the usual engine mounts replaced but apart from that the car hasn't missed a beat. Good cars that keep going.

turbo rebuilt? any particular reason? or just servicing?
    should i be looking at getting a turbo service? ive only taken it for the regular maintenance (alternatinng between mazda dealer and rac)

You can check the turbo yourself for shaft play by taking off the intake and monitor for white smoke on idle. Apart from that, just use good oil and the turbo will work until it doesn't, then you replace. I'm at 120k on my 3. First turbo blew the day after the 10k service, second one has lasted 110k and still fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

currently i'm looking at trading mine + missus's cars in sometime next year for something more family friendly. Honestly, if the MPS and SP23 meet your needs, there's no point trading in.

pram + groceries are a bit too tight of a fit in her car, and she can't drive manual. Because of all that, my MPS has done ~5k km in 2 years, so it's just a waste of money at the moment, i've driven it once in the last 5 months!

Put a nice set of super sports on it, and it's been pretty much parked
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    turbo rebuilt? any particular reason? or just servicing?
    should i be looking at getting a turbo service? ive only taken it for the regular maintenance (alternatinng between mazda dealer and rac)
    As mentioned by Lachlan, do your checks. Regular maintenance (better than what the log book requires) is the key I guess.My original K04 lasted till 203k's and still in good shape without any smoke or leaks. Just replaced it this year to a CS item. My engine still goes well. I'm in the process of ordering a new clutch. found a Luk clutch with Fidanza flywheel from amazon for less than a grand delivered also in the process of investigating the SP63 4032 piston with after market rods. think I'm keeping my MS6 for another 10 years....

I would invest in a chain kit if you plan on keeping it past 200kkm