User Tag List

Thread: My timinig chain repair

Default My timinig chain repair

Hi All,

I’d like to write about my experience in repairing the timing chain on my 2007 Mazda 3 MPS.

I first noticed the issue maybe 18 months ago. I could hear a metallic knocking noise or slapping noise. It would happen on start up but then fade away. Over time the noise became louder to the point that I could hear it over my exhaust. The car had a very diesel-ish sound to it when idling too.

There didn’t seem to be any loss in power but the ticking became louder and louder every couple of months.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to take it to Hi Quality Smash Repairs on a recommendation from a friend who had some mechanical repairs done to his car too.

I spoke to Cosmo the mechanic and he advised that he has performed this repair on a number of occasions and that it would take around a day and a half to perform the repair and all parts used would be genuine.

As quoted the car was ready by the second day.

I required (as per invoice):

Genuine Timing Belt
    Genuine Timing Chain Guide Lever
    Genuine Timing Chain Guide Rail
    Genuine Timing Chain Tensioner
    Genuine Variable Timing Inlet Gear
    Drive Belt Idler pulley bearing
    Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley
    Genuine Rocker Cover Gasket

There were a few other small bits and pieces such as oil, coolant, sump plug washers etc

Cosmo also showed me that a small metal piece of the tensioner had broken off. The piece was sitting on the head pretty close to falling inside one of the cylinders.

As soon as I turned the car on it sounded so much quieter. The ticking had gone completely and the car didn't sound like it was a diesel. It might be just me but the car actually felt better too possibly due to the timing not being as retarded.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the time taken for the repair and the professionalism of Cosmo and the workshop. I will be taking my car there in the future and highly recommend this workshop to anyone needing work done on their car.

High Quality Mechanical Repairs
    82 Carlingford St
    Sefton, NSW, 2162
    9645 4210 - Cosmo

Whats it cost at the end?

I just did this repair myself on my 6 MPS and it's not a quick job. It took me about 22 hours. There is more work involved as the Right side drive shaft has to be removed to get the crank lock bolt in place. I also fixed some other things during the process.
    As the chain stretches the timing starts to retard more. I noticed my car was more responsive on the first drive after the chain replacement.