User Tag List

Thread: Another MPS6 bites the dust ...mine :(

1. Default Another MPS6 bites the dust ...mine :(

Unfortunately my MPS6 today was in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Taken out by a person crossing into the wrong side of the road - distracted so it seems.

Wife & kids are sore, but amazingly a few scratches (seat belt bruises etc). The air bags did not deploy..despite the recall & being fixed by Mazda for the air bag issue ?????

The other drivers taken to hospital - the person in the blue car was cut up quite badly, but all involved will live to see another day. Luckily nobody in blue cars passenger seat or it would have been a totally different outcome.
    Motor was still running after the hit & she tried to drive off the road......but it was just too broken

Thanks for the tips only had 174K on the clock in 10 years (owned it from new) & never an issue.
    Set of bilstein/ eibach / whitelines/ kappa speakers/ dyna matted the whole car/ HID high beam / CPE mounts etc..etc just basic mods & getting ready for an engine rebuild
    (Just bought a new set of tyres last week gggrrrrrr, isn't that always the way.)

Anyway we are all home & able to laugh at the stupid series of events that occurred for her to be there at that point in time (a la sliding doors), as she never goes that way.

Unfortunately it is however critical & the insurance company it looking at last rights.

Wife made me sell my original stike me pink XU1 that I owned for 20 years.....now she writes off the mps6.............I think I see a pattern.

Heres a picture..don;t know if bad form, but thought you might to see. If you don't want get mods to take post off..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pict 1b.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	17825

Cheers

Gee that sucks, also hurts to see! Although looks like the mps held up reasonably well compared to the blue car - "you should see the other guy" lol.

Glad everyone was safe, I would be having some strong words with the dealer that did the airbag fix, surely they would have triggered after a crash like that! I'm still waiting to be told my airbag fix is ready to be done, might have to ask for a guarantee they will still work after!

Geez mate....makes you realise how lucky you are to wake up in the morning sometimes.....glad youre all ok.
    You bought a lottery ticket yet!?

4. Default

Um.... ouch!???

That blue car, made of tissue paper? Honestly though, without a serious second by second description, I'm unsure just how the whole passenger side of the blue car got hit to badly???

At least everyone is safe and alive.

Wow. Sucks to see but glad everyone is ok. New car plan?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sucks to hear what was a perfectly good 6MPS is no more .

As for the airbags - it looks like they did their job perfectly by not deploying. Airbags deploying can cause harm if they are not required - clearly if everyone walked away they were not required!

Sigh. That is a sad sight.

Glad you all walked away safely.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantKnackers View Post
    Sigh. That is a sad sight.

Glad you all walked away safely.

Thanks. Other than whip lash & a severe head ache for 4 or 5 days, all pulled up well. Still has a sore neck.

Re - next purchase depends on what the insurance company decides to do. They transported it to Pickles in Brisbane to assess. Most annoying process. Looking at a VW Golf (not an R .

Re the air bags - my wife saw what was happening & braked & was stationary or just about stopped as the car immediately in front got hit & spun down the road into our car. The white pathfinder bounced off a gutter to hit my car in the passenger side door. My car is where it should be & pointed in the right direction

Re - air bags - I questioned that as well. Apparently (not yet confirmed as waiting for Mazda Australia to get back to me) the bags don't deploy at speeds less than 40 km/h (Our car was not moving). If bags deploy that is around $6k in it self to reset without any repairs to the car...would definitely be a write off if that happened.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooper View Post
    Re - air bags - I questioned that as well. Apparently (not yet confirmed as waiting for Mazda Australia to get back to me) the bags don't deploy at speeds less than 40 km/h (Our car was not moving). If bags deploy that is around $6k in it self to reset without any repairs to the car...would definitely be a write off if that happened.
    So if you're stopped and someone comes barrelling into you at 100km/h ... they won't deploy?

Seems dodgy..

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    So if you're stopped and someone comes barrelling into you at 100km/h ... they won't deploy?

Seems dodgy..
    Have to agree with this, we recently had a fatal accident near us where two morons in a stolen ute crashed at 160km/h into the back of a car which was doing less than 40 (of course it was the innocent motorist who died), bit scary to think my airbags wouldn't go off in that circumstance!!!
    AP V3 (Rayd tuned) / CP-E CAI / CP-E TIP / JBR Trilogy / CS Front Strut Brace / JBR SSP / JBR Shift Knob / JBR shifter bushings / Eibach Pro-Kit / Bilstein B8's / SURE Juggernaught / SURE Dreadnaught / Whiteline RSB / Toyo Proxes T1R 235/40/18 / Evo X BBS rims / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV / CP-E DP / CP-E TMIC / Autotech internals / Superpro bushings

Future mods:
    BT, DM OCC, EGR delete, Braided clutch/brake lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, DBA T3 rotors....

I assume it's quite deliberate. If you get hit from behind, car goes forward and you go stay still, hence the airbag won't help and might even hurt you more. Same thing for a side impact if you are stationary I guess - your momentum doesn't need to be slowed by the airbag before you hit something, instead the car is coming toward you as it crushes, so having it deploy (essentially shooting it at you from the same direction as the impact) might be ineffective and perhaps more dangerous than just relying on the seatbelt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fully6mps View Post
    Have to agree with this, we recently had a fatal accident near us where two morons in a stolen ute crashed at 160km/h into the back of a car which was doing less than 40 (of course it was the innocent motorist who died), bit scary to think my airbags wouldn't go off in that circumstance!!!
    I tried to post this morning but couldn't log in.

My car ended up at the pickles auction & was sold for $2,500...FYI you would have had to look under Mazda 6 diesel to find it. Hope the got the right car. Almost bought it back myself to part it out.

You should have I need parts lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

damn. good to hear everyone is safe.

seeing that pic is cringeworthy ...especially since mine is the same colour...

airbags are more correctly known as SRS - supplemental/secondary restraint system. Its not designed to be a cushion for another car intruding on the cabin space, its designed to lengthen the time you spend decelerating (if they can drag out your motion stop even by a half second, or whole second, it can greatly reduce peak forces). As such, they're only designed to go off in very specific situations. I've been to car accidents where the car rolled about 4 times - no airbags deployed, because they're sensors did not detect a need.

I've treated people who've had their airbags deploy - trust me, you don't want them going off unless you really, really need them. they *hurt*. a *lot*.
    2XS 3" intake | 3 Bar MAP Sensor | GTX2867r | 2XS 3" twin dump pipe | 3 port Grimmspeed EBCS | Cobb AP V2 | Purple Drank Tuned