User Tag List

Thread: Servicing Rip Offs

1. Default Servicing Rip Offs

thought i would post my very first experience servicing a near new car
    took my car into the local Mazda dealer ship for 20 k service my car has only done 15 k kms and is 06 model Im second owner I reported brake shudder to them which others have reported on their MPS they machined the rotors charged me seventy dollars and then said it wasnt covered under warranty !!!!
    argued with them to no avail NO more servicing done there I live in Wollongong

Sorry to hear you were disappointed.. though with a 2006 model im assuming they put it down to wear and tear rather than a defect (they have lasted to now haven't they?).

At the end of the day $70 isnt too bad.. it could have been worse - they chould have charged you for new rotors.

3. Default

yeah very dissapointed particularly when i have only had the car for two months and it had 12 500 kms for 06 model when i bought it...... others on here have had rotors replaced under warranty at 30000 + kms for brake shudder
    they said it was all to how the car was driven........ is that then Mazdas version of a performance series car

even the technician i spoke to there was saying that was not right but service MANAGERS get the last say

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
    they said it was all to how the car was driven........ is that then Mazdas version of a performance series car
    I tend to agree with you. You bought a performance car, so they (Mazda) should expect it to be driven harder than a standard family version.

I would contact Mazda support direct and voice your concern.

Blog Entries

Yeah I would contact Mazda direct but as you said it is up to the service manager at the end of the day and its his/her call.

I am lucky to know the service manager where I get my Mazda serviced personally but have had this kind of situation explained to me numerous times. Pretty much if he doesn't explain and put his foot down, so to speak of, the next guy up the chain of command has to.

One thing I have learnt is to make friends with your service manager and head tech. I'm not saying they are in the right - far from it.

But, I have a good relationship with mine and this is the phone call I got this afternoon

"Hi MR XXXX, your fuel pump has arrived, we can do it tomorrow and we have a free loan car for you. See you at 8:00?"...."uugghh - yer - great - thanks see you then!"

I admit that my car is spending a lot of time there, and they know I am active on these forums, but I did spend a lot of time being nice to them when they were really p!ssing me off about things a while back.

Its now paying dividends.
    Faster than swallowtails Passat...and it has a letterbox

It's not really the SM's decision, it's Mazda's. The service manager is only able to undertake warranty work and get paid for it if Mazda approve it. The alternative is that he does the work and doesn't get paid for it. $70 for remove/replace and machine is quite reasonable.

I bought a second hand Mitsubishi recently and I've already spent over $1500 on it. It goes with the territory with second hand cars.

Aside from that I fail to understand how MPS6 brakes could be damaged. They're about the best OEM braking setup you can find on any car anywhere in the world. Were the rotors warped or were the surfaces contaminated?

It's worth developing a good relationship with your SM. It's certainly saved me a fortune, and I live in Wollongong too.

Gone to Volvo

8. Default

i understand there are costs incurred in second hand cars but from a new performance car with only 12 500 kms on it for the rotors to do that they were apparently warped slightly the shudder occurred at freeway speeds most noticeably My concern is now with removing material admittedly a small amount is they will heat up more so now and warp again I drive Macq Pass every couple of days

I would like to have a good relationship with the SM as well I was also annoyed by their way of trying to say it is how you drive the car and were looking for everything to pass it onto me so if any future issues then it could be "well you drive it too hard" thats why x y broke etc "the pads must have been changed" No they hadnt i checked with the previous SM "the two tyres have been replaced" yes but there are numerous reasons for replacing tyres warranty runs out soon anyway

thanks for comments End of rant !!!

I think you'll find the excuse making is just paraphrasing what Mazda would say to the dealer if they tried it on. Don't blame the dealer, they would prefer to do every warranty job their customers requested, it's income for them after all. But it's the company paying the bills, ie Mazda Australia, that determines the policy.

10. Default

quick update jump and down a bit today got a call from SM they had machined the discs and charged me WITHOUT asking if i wanted it done
    so next 40k service will be done for the price of machining only $ 70

guess it makes good business sense to keep people coming back for servicing there over the long term

NOTE for everyone they must get your approval to proceed with repairs they will charge you for when servicing

Sounds like a very reasonable outcome for you.

The only thing im ever dissappointed in is the bill... touch wood...

Think yourself lucky..
    Mazda wanted to charge me $600 for new pads and machined rotors..... (plus price of 40k service)

I think this is on the cards for me too, got my 50K soon and my front rotors are looking very groovy! Time for some DBA's too methinks Dan

I mighten have a MPS but I drive the 2 like it should be and I have to say that Tom Kerr West Ryde does a great job and for my 30k service it cost me (well leasing company) $146.00.....and it got a clean bill of health