User Tag List

Thread: New OBD scan tools that actually work.

Default New OBD scan tools that actually work.

After getting rid of my accessport I needed a new data logging option. I already had an old OBD tool that I bought a few years ago that was a giant pile of shit.

So I bought a newer generation tool and have been pretty impressed with it.

Rather than waffling on about it, I made a video.

https://youtu.be/UZVVHZ2r85c

Good review reedy. I loved my old kiwi WiFi. Worked flawlessly with an iPhone 4.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Nice. Is that the smartphone app version of dashcommander (palmer performance?) I've used the laptop version myself, and I can definitely read knock retard and boost air temp without a CAN buss connection. Check with palmer if it's their software (looks like it) because there are mazda specific extensions to the logging dataset that will let you read all the usuals plus pretty much anything mazda have added as a proprietary value. Even things like air-conditioning duty cycle if you're interested in that.

Personally, I would advise against habitually leaving a bluetooth OBD device attached, as it is a security concern. That might sound paranoid, but let me tell you a story.

I had some sensitive documents that I foolishly left in locked vehicle outside. Late in the night I hear something and go to look but don't see anything. In the morning I discover that the vehicle has been entered and said documents and some other items are missing. Bizarrely some fairly valuable electronics are discarded in the yard. I may have disturbed them the previous night I suspect. I thought the vehicle was locked but figure I must have been mistaken. The vehicle has an OEM "high spec" alarm.

At the time I was regularly performing data logging. By sheer chance I spotted the value for the number of keys associated with the vehicle. I completely freak out when I see it reads three keys. I've only ever had two. That night, and this time completely certain the vehiclke was locked, it is unlawfully entered a second time. This time nothing was taken, but the drivers door was ajar in the morning. I contact police etc and pull out the data logs and do a fresh read and am slightly horrified to discover that the number of associated keys is now two.

My suspicion is that I disturbed them the first time and the second entry was for the purposes of erasing the evidence left in the ECU.

Point is that bluetooth or wifi - gen1 bluetooth especially - is a wireless gateway to your ECU. I absolutely would not trust these devices to be secure. I was using a USB to OBD2 interface at the time that also provided a bluetooth alternative to USB-based serial connections.

After having the vehicles security codes all reset by a Mazda agent I disabled the bluetooth interface by physically removing the bluetooth transciever from the circuit board of the interface (it was attached as a daughter board by what is probably a TTL singnal-level RS-232 serial interface.) A few months later I had the security codes reset a second time by a different agent in a different city.

Moral of the story : Don't forget this device has security and safety implications. It may have been a bizarre coincidence or misread of data on my part but I don't think so.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Very nice @Reedy
    Can you add parameters in dash command? Because there's a list somewhere on here that has the knock pid...

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Very nice @Reedy
    Can you add parameters in dash command? Because there's a list somewhere on here that has the knock pid...
    I think you can. There are some modules that you can buy that adds extra PIDs but for the MPS thebonlynone that adds is throttle position.

Will see see ifni can find the PID and add it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I think you can. There are some modules that you can buy that adds extra PIDs but for the MPS thebonlynone that adds is throttle position.

Will see see ifni can find the PID and add it manually.
    Look for the torque for Android thread, think it's there
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

The app shows Mazda.Engine.Bat_MZ and similar for knock retard but they have a red light. When you try to log those parameters it just reads them as Null values.

I use an ELM327 knockoff called the iCar along with DASH-CMD on the iphone