User Tag List

Thread: low engine temperature

Default low engine temperature

hi,
    i have a BK MPS the i bought around Christmas time, now that its some into winter it seems to take forever to get up to operating temperature, i was wondering what everone else's cars show on the gauge. i know there not the most accurate thing but mine runs in the bottom two or three bars at this time on the year.

Do you know what the actual engine temperature is? Mine takes a lot longer to warm up this time of year but its normal operating temperature is still typically 80-90 degrees.

No I'm not sure what the actual temp is. I'll try and get the scan tool on it today. My concern is the PO was a bit
    of a tool and I'm concerned he may have removed the thermostat. It's taking 7 kilometers taking about 15 minutes to get up to low temperatures

Is that you just letting the car sit? Or gentle driving?

I know mine will take forever just sitting there (Canberra winter...) but after letting revs settle then driving it it's pretty grumpy for a good 10 minutes.

Gentle driving. I might try putting a thermostat in it.

Why would someone remove a thermostat? Anyway, you can check if it's there by having a look, isn't hard to find :s See what the scan gauge shows I reckon. Should see 55+ in a few minutes, but it will take a little while to get up to full temp when driving.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I've had an issue (BK) where the engine temp would drop from normal to barely-warmed-up type temps at highway speeds in ambient temperatures below 18 deg C.
    Not solved yet, however I'm probably soon to do some major maintenance so might find out then.
    Thermostat seems a likely suspect (?)

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisprue View Post
    No I'm not sure what the actual temp is. I'll try and get the scan tool on it today. My concern is the PO was a bit
    of a tool and I'm concerned he may have removed the thermostat. It's taking 7 kilometers taking about 15 minutes to get up to low temperatures
    Yep he is a tool..... You mentioned, you bought the car last Christmas, did it over heat? cars with out thermostat will over heat during summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    I've had an issue (BK) where the engine temp would drop from normal to barely-warmed-up type temps at highway speeds in ambient temperatures below 18 deg C.
    Not solved yet, however I'm probably soon to do some major maintenance so might find out then.
    Thermostat seems a likely suspect (?)
    Probably, mine was behaving like that a couple of Summers ago, my coolant was only 70ºC cruising on the motorway after some hours at 30ºC weather, it was a faulty thermostat. Quite common failure in this cars after some mileage.
    Last edited by keridil; 06-07-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    '07 6 MPS | BNR S3 | CS 3" Intake | CS 3" TMIC | CS HF DP | SURE REM, Diff Mount | Autotech HPFP Internals | Ralco Shortcut | SURE Countershift & Anchors | NGK +1 colder | EGR Off | CP-e Inj Seals | Eibach Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | RX8 18x8 | Front & Rear strut braces

227 kW at the wheels & 466 Nm on crappy SP 98 RON

10. Default

I get very similar results as you Chris. Especially these last few very chilly mornings. Takes a while for the needle to move in the mornings and even then just a little. When I leave work in the afternoons it sits around a quarter on the guage and seems to heat up pretty quick.
    I just thought they were a pretty cool running car with ram under the bonnet skin for the intercooler?