User Tag List

Thread: Car stalls a few seconds after starting...why?

Default Car stalls a few seconds after starting...why?

Wasn't sure which part of the forum this question belonged to...

This morning I started the car from cold and after about 3 seconds it spluttered then stalled. I started it again and it did the same thing. Third time it almost stalled again, but applying a few revs kept it going. It continued to splutter for about 5 seconds then idled normally as it would on normal cold startup (ie - revs to about 1800rpm intially then settles after a minute or so)

I've had this happen a couple of times now, and it seems to happen after I wash the car. But in this instance, the car was washed 2 days ago, then driven 5km before being started again this morning.

Can any water running up the exhaust pipes cause this?

Any suggestions?

Unlikely to be the exhaust, it's very likely to be moisture in the filter/MAF however.

Thanks Nuliaj. However, I didn't clean under the bonnet and I've driven through heavy rain before with no CELs or problems with the filter getting wet.

If it happens again I'll check the MAF sensor and see if it's wet. Is that the best course of action?

Check your hoses & clamps, sounds typical of an air leak, also, having just read your knock retard comments in the other thread confirms this.

^^ I was about to say the same thing Matt..
    Let us know how you go!