User Tag List

Thread: MPS BL Towbars for a Bike Rack

Default MPS BL Towbars for a Bike Rack

Hi All,

Not everyone's favourite performance mod, but here we go anyhow Someone might find this useful.

I need a discrete hidden towbar for a bike rack and not to haul around caravans, horse floats or B-doubles or other big damn heavy things that probably shouldn't be there anyhow. It needs it to be hard to see when I'm not using it since a 24x7 towbar on the MPS just will look wrong.

After a bit of digging around:
    • These are hard to find.
    • Towbars for other single exhaust models BL's won't fit.
    • The Mazda factory MPS towbar requires you pull off the bumpers and fit a new retaining bar that includes the towbar. Not a big deal but prefer to avoid it messing around doing that and also the fat Mazda pricetag.
    • The US Hidden Hitch 60259 looks to be the neatest solution.
    • The 60259 is rated as Class 1 hitch for bike racks, cargo racks only and nothing too heavy.

There is one of Ebay that can be had for about AUD$270 delivered which is cheaper than just about all other's I've looked for locally. Ebay's global shopping promo shipping is pretty sharp for the racks weight and size compared to other options.

One left now.
    Hidden Hitch 60259 Class I Custom FIT Insta Hitch Trailer Hitch 10 12 3 | eBay

How to fit it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arl4OrcnGdI

Enjoy.........

I'd check to confirm it meets aust compliance before purchasing. It can affect your insurance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry, forgot to mention I have a tow bar myself so I understand the need for them having towed trailers from the central coast to brisbane and back a few times. Maybe search a few wreakers to see if you can get an original for a decent price and you'll get the full tow capacity if ever required.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS00M View Post
    I'd check to confirm it meets aust compliance before purchasing. It can affect your insurance.

Thanks for the tip. I did check that and it looks good according to the insurer.

Maybe search a few wreakers to see if you can get an original for a decent price and you'll get the full tow capacity if ever required.

I've checked a few wreckers but they only have them for the lower spec single exhaust BL's which won't fit an MPS. The mounting points on the chassis are pretty different.

The aftermarket ones to fit an MPS sourced in AU are upwards of $700+ which is a pretty hefty pricetag.

I have no need to tow anything except a bike rack

Try Troy Spedding from 2xs racing. He has a mazda spare parts business that mainly deals with mps'. Hopefully he'll be able to sort you out. He's in brisvagas but is very reasonably priced.

Try Troy Spedding from 2xs racing. He has a mazda spare parts business that mainly deals with mps'. Hopefully he'll be able to sort you out. He's in brisvagas but is very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the details. I'm might chase him and see if they have any on hand

I just remembered Troy's parts business is call zoom zoom boom

Hi all,

Just in case this helps someone one day.

I ordered from the US in the end under Ebay's global shipment deal which works pretty well. The Hidden Hitch for the MPS is neat solution. You need hidden hitch part numbers #60259 (rack) and #3594 (1 1/4" drawbar receiver).

Nothing is too straightforward though and we seem to have a slightly different mounting point on our MPS compared to the US model. Not a big deal since all the mounting points still align perfectly anyhow - you just need some different bolts namely 2 x M6 by 80mm for the vertical chassis holes.

You need a bit of rubber finger yoga to get it all done although I did it alone in about 30 minutes. Would be easier if you had a second set of hands.

Here you go folks with the mounting points and how it looks. The drawbar can be left off until it is needed so you don't have to drive around with a towbar 24x7.
    I have to wash they car, I know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	towbar-mount1.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	17774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	towbar-mount2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	17775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	towbar-mount3.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	17776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	towbar-mount4.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	17777