User Tag List

Thread: Anyone ever used a clay bar before ?

1. Default Anyone ever used a clay bar before ?

Ive never done it before but i have to do it on my new MPS. Ive cleaned my car about 3 times in the week i have owned my car because i found the surface to be rough. I waxed it 2 times thinking the problem was solved as it felt smooth after i did it, but then that roughness comes back on the paint surface.

My paint looks so shiny, but when you touch it, it feels like a fine sand paper and did some research and found out my car needs clay barring.

So i was wondering if there is much of a difference to what clay bars i use ? I was going to go to Autobarn and buy The Mothers one or maybe the McGuires. Do any of you have some experience doing this and if so did you get good results using which ever brand you used ?

Yeah, used a few of them, not the biggest fan... bit fiddly and if you drop it, it's stuffed

However, look up the surface prep towel from zas, it's friggin magic, it's like a clay bar without all the down sides!

Yea definitely try the surface prep towel. Claybars are pretty amazing, but that towel does almost as good a job about 5x as fast.

https://www.zas.com.au/product/592/z...rep_towel.html

This thing is amazing... If you've ever used a clay bar on a car, the surface prep towel will have you asking why you've been wasting so much time, it literally takes 1/4-1/5 of the time a clay bar does! Best of all, it's re-useable many many times!
    – Sam GreenNov 06, 2012
    Last edited by Reedy; 08-06-2016 at 09:41 AM.

I'm pretty sure car detailers ditched claybars after the prep towels became common place. I bought a box of claybar cheap ages ago though and reckon I'll still be going through it in 2025

5. Default

So you think this prep towel will do a good job on my paint as its really bad. Before researching this, i thought i needed a whole new paint job thinking something was seriously wrong with it as ive never had this on any of my cars before.

Im all for a faster way to do things, just as long as it will get rid of it all. And can i buy these Zas towel at a store as i want to do it on the weekend?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Yea definitely try the surface prep towel. Claybars are pretty amazing, but that towel does almost as good a job about 5x as fast.

https://www.zas.com.au/product/592/z...rep_towel.html
    Ok i just ordered that towel and the prep stuff needed to spray on the car. Thought it was only going to cost $50 (similar to a claybar kit) but ended up to being $90, so hoping it does a great job.

ZAS are in Sydney, so probably not. Call them and they might be able to ship it out quickly and get it to you by the weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. Default

They said they will courier it out to me so only takes one day, which is nice. Cant wait to try this, just got to remember treat it like a girl with a soft touch

Don't know about the cloth, but you might need some lubricant as well - that's the rule with clay at least: always keep her wet...the car of course

That rule definitely applies to the surface prep towel as well.

11. Default

Yeah i bought some spray so the towel can glide as well from Zas. I thought since they are sponsors to this site, members should get some sort of discount, well was hoping anyway.

There is a slight discount, think it's 2-3%, have to go way back in the zas area to find the post

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    There is a slight discount, think it's 2-3%, have to go way back in the zas area to find the post
    Dam so i missed out on about a $2 discount, so generous haha.

It's 10% actually

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMPS View Post
    Dam so i missed out on about a $2 discount, so generous haha.
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14493
    Here's the thread of people having epiphanies over it
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    It's 10% actually

Oh, thought it was 5% at best... there I go
    Need to put an order in soon anyways
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

16. Default

Dam i told them it was recommended to me from the ozmps forums as well and she didnt say anything to me.

17. Default

Just finished doing my car with the zas prep towel. I cant compare it to a clay bar as i have never used one, but all i can say is that it done a great job and my paint no longer feels like fine sandpaper and is smooth as a babies bum . Also, i never want to do it again lol, it took me hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMPS View Post
    Just finished doing my car with the zas prep towel. I cant compare it to a clay bar as i have never used one, but all i can say is that it done a great job and my paint no longer feels like fine sandpaper and is smooth as a babies bum . Also, i never want to do it again lol, it took me hrs.
    A clay bar would have taken you 2-3 times as long, and would have involved lots of what is effectively folding blue tack every couple of minutes
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    A clay bar would have taken you 2-3 times as long, and would have involved lots of what is effectively folding blue tack every couple of minutes
    I hate clay-bar work... making sure surface is wet, gliding the damn stuff over an area, folding, cramping hand as the water is cold, fearing dropping the bar on the ground (instant throw-out)... it's awful...

Hence why my car looks like a nightmare.
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.