User Tag List

Thread: big problem i got some questions,

1. Default big problem i got some questions,

so ive had the worst luck today, on the way to the panel beaters (not my fault)
    ive snapped my timing chain

how worried should i be?

What? Details? Well you can't drive it, but there may also be engine damage. Is there oil on the floor?
    You don't mean the serpentine belt on the side of the engine do you? Hope it's all OK though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    What? Details? Well you can't drive it, but there may also be engine damage. Is there oil on the floor?
    You don't mean the serpentine belt on the side of the engine do you? Hope it's all OK though.

when you open the oil cap, theres a chain inside on the side, you can see its come off, pretty sure there was no oil, dripping from it,
    i was going about 65-70 down woodville road down a hill and the car cut out, didnt recall hearing anyone loud bangs or anything.
    pulled over to the side and car wouldnt start again. i should add its a 2004 Mazda 6 MPS

i was just wondering how costly it would be to open the head and get it replaced or if it will be cheaper to swap a motor in.
    also i keep seeing debates about the motor being a non interference motor and valves dont occupy the same space, but im not sure if its 100% true
    Last edited by tiet; 07-06-2016 at 04:10 PM.

So it's slipped off? Crap. They are very well known for stretching over time.

You can definitely replace it, but I'd do a leak down test and check the oil to make sure the engine is ok first (especially valves).

It's not hard to get to the chain (valve cover and timing cover come off easily I believe) but it's a fairly complex job to replace and you need some special tools (eg to lock the cams up as you take off the chain). If you screw it up, bye bye motor.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18892

Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

5. Default

hmm okay, cars at the panel beaters ill see if i can get someone to go out there. thanks

Ouch.

A panel beater won't be able to help you.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    A panel beater won't be able to help you.
    ahhaah yeah the thing is I was on my way there to get my front end repaired, had my hire car there already,

Hope they don't try to start it :s

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Hope they don't try to start it :s

without the timing chain the motor shouldnt work correct? i remember when i tried starting the car on the side of the road, it wouldnt turn over or crank so it shouldnt cause more problems?

Dude, I hate to say it but you can only hope...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk