User Tag List

Thread: Gen 1 MPS sudden high oil consumption

Default Gen 1 MPS sudden high oil consumption

Hi all,

I own a Gen 1 MPS with 168k on the clock, the VVT was replaced a few months back and the car drives hard with normal mileage (no mods apart from a mild Hypertech tune and Corksport TMIC). The oil was replaced ~ 3000km ago by my mechanic and I assume the dealership topped it up when they did the VVT.

I've noticed it requires constant oil top ups - I'm adding 500ml every 200k; the oil is also black not the usual honey colour (mind you, there would be three different oil brands of ? viscosity in there at the moment). At first WOT there is a huge plume of smoke which I know is normal but it's a lot more than I'm used to. Subsequent WOT runs there isn't much smoke at all.

Under the hood, I can't see anything obvious to suggest a leak. My mechanical skills are very basic; should I just replace the oil first or is there anything else I can check for? I'm thinking it's the turbo slowly failing, but it could be the dodgy concoction of oil in there too.

I have a spare, near new Gen 2 K04 turbo in waiting - if all else fails, is this exactly the same at the Gen 1 to fit?

Thanks in advance

JB
    Last edited by Byrd; 03-06-2016 at 09:41 AM.

2. Default

Is it a blue smoke or just black?
    Black smoke is unburnt fuel, blue or light blue could be oil or combination of oil and coolant.
    70% would be your turbo (seals are worn). There is also that PVC valve (check your intake manifold for oil saturation), or valve seals. 500 ml / 200 k is excessive.
    If your oil turns black in a short time, you might have a blow by.

Thanks Mark,

Let's say I'm exaggerating the 500ml/200km oil top-up, I gather there is a fine line between MAX/MIN and I'm always finding the oil level low when I check every couple of hundred km driven, so I put in some more Nulon 10W/40 full synthetic to compensate. When I check oil again, it's just below MIN.

It's black smoke, I'll pull the TMIC and check the manifold on the weekend.

JB

Gen 2 k04 is compatible for gen 1. Im on a gen 2 turbo turbo on my gen 1.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk