User Tag List

Thread: MORE Gearbox troubles

1. Default MORE Gearbox troubles

So I've got problems with a gen1 with 100,000kms on it.

I know the MPS gearbox is notchy and irritating at times but i've been chasing a problem since i bought my car a year ago.

Initially i couldn't effectively shift at all from 1st to 2nd when the engine was under load- it would get stuck and i'd have to back off the rpm and let the engine return to it's normal position before shifting.
    I replaced the rear engine mount with a stage 2 CPE mount as i presumed that the twist of the engine under load was causing this problem and it did fix my shifting issue and i can now shift under load. I also replaced my gearbox oil with Castrol syntrans (cant remember the viscosity, but it is correct after a lot of research prior to purchasing).

The problem i am facing now, is that 1st - 2nd gear makes a CLUNK when I shift. Happens moreso in the mornings and sometimes becomes better with driving. It's obviously really annoying. It also feels extra notchy when this happens and it doesn't matter what rpm or how much load the engine has on it - so it has nothing to do with engine twist + i've already done the REM.

People say on here that the notchy 1st - 2nd + the clunk is normal for these cars, which is due to the synchro but I literally just drove my friend's Gen1 in which he HAS NOT done the REM or made any modifications and his gearbox feels like a dream. No clunk. No notches when shifting. Literally just glides into gear. I am tempted to steal his gearbox it's that much different.

Does anyone know if these cars have problems with the links or link bushes in the gearbox or the guides? Has anyone ever had to replace their bushes ?

Could be your transmission mount is stuffed?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk